Greenstar

Any advice on armoured trains?

Hello

does anyone have any advice on designing armoured trains that can operate at high speeds or are built to launch ICBMs?  I’m trying to think of the next MOC I should do regarding armoured rail vehicles 

The first thing that comes to mind is this video I came across a while ago:

It's designed to look like regular coaching stock, but (put simply) with pop-up bits that reveal and launch the projectile. Motorising the functions could be challenging, but with linkages or even strings could mean the roof opening and the projectile raising could be achieved with one motor. Overall could be an interesting project, with a suitable loco and a few extra van wagons or coaching stock to support it all.

On 4/25/2020 at 4:13 PM, ColletArrow said:

The first thing that comes to mind is this video I came across a while ago:

It's designed to look like regular coaching stock, but (put simply) with pop-up bits that reveal and launch the projectile. Motorising the functions could be challenging, but with linkages or even strings could mean the roof opening and the projectile raising could be achieved with one motor. Overall could be an interesting project, with a suitable loco and a few extra van wagons or coaching stock to support it all.

That’s an idea for a design

having pop-up turrets with the sliding roof could be a cool feature

i will look into it when I figure out my custom motor situation 

Edited by Darkdragon
Please don't quote videos

Hey @dr_spock 

would you have any advice for designing a double track cannon that’s larger than a Gustav?  The tracks would be spaced 4 studs apart from rail to rail is my idea as of now

18 minutes ago, ProfSrlojohn said:

WW2 is a treasure trove of armored train designs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_train

In addition, something I don't see talked about much is the Railway gun,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railway_gun

I love the WW2 designs

also, there is a small size railway gun on a MOC on my deviantart page, Greenstar-Lion as well as some drawings of mine

I also think that Diesel 10 from Thomas and friends would make a great engine for an armoured train and am working on one now

3 minutes ago, Greenstar said:

I love the WW2 designs

also, there is a small size railway gun on a MOC on my deviantart page, Greenstar-Lion as well as some drawings of mine

I also think that Diesel 10 from Thomas and friends would make a great engine for an armoured train and am working on one now

This would be the Train you would want to work from then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_42

He's not a direct copy, but heavily inspired by.

10 minutes ago, ProfSrlojohn said:

This would be the Train you would want to work from then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_42

He's not a direct copy, but heavily inspired by.

Yep

im working in drawing right now as my pieces are being used for something but I have the German engine drawn, diesel neun is loosely based off of the class but would have been built during WW2 as a spy train in America so he still adorns his reich livery as well as some cars from the time

He is one of the antagonist when first introduced to a story I’m working on but he becomes a protagonist after the main characters guard has a conversation with him in German

im almost done designing the engine and his cars

4 hours ago, Greenstar said:

Ah....Diesel 10. Haven't seen that guy on the show in ages. I wonder why they don't use him often. 

18 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

Ah....Diesel 10. Haven't seen that guy on the show in ages. I wonder why they don't use him often. 

I know right

hes one of my favorite engines because of his unusual  design 

58 minutes ago, Brandon Pea said:

33 minutes ago, Greenstar said:

I know right

hes one of my favorite engines because of his unusual  design 

4 hours ago, Greenstar said:

Yep

im working in drawing right now as my pieces are being used for something but I have the German engine drawn, diesel neun is loosely based off of the class but would have been built during WW2 as a spy train in America so he still adorns his reich livery as well as some cars from the time

Like this Diesel 10?

48815334808_681086cccb_z.jpg

I made him in LDD from some old instructions of a Class 38 to go along with my Lady engine, as seen in this topic here. (shameless self plug over with)

Sounds like a very cool idea to use him in WW2!  I have another suggestion about Armored trains: Any body here seen the 1965 Movie "The Train"? It's got a armored train that they blow up.... it was done in a real rail yard they were going to be changing the rail gauge in. The production company said "we'll do the demolition for ya!", blowing up everything in the yard to boot! It's a real good film, with plenty of train scenes, plus the brake noises were used on the early episodes / seasons of Thomas and Friends.

Edited by Murdoch17

On 4/27/2020 at 9:13 AM, Greenstar said:

That’s an interesting mechanism for raising the missile when it needs to be fired

how is it built?

I used a LEGO Technic linear actuator.  I don't have the launcher built any longer.

On 4/27/2020 at 11:01 AM, Greenstar said:

Hey @dr_spock 

would you have any advice for designing a double track cannon that’s larger than a Gustav?  The tracks would be spaced 4 studs apart from rail to rail is my idea as of now

There is a clone brand double tracked railgun I stumbled across on YouTube a while ago -- KAZI German 80cm k(e) Railway Gun DORA.   You can search for it online to get some ideas.  Double track would be a bit challenging for curves.  I tried using flexi-track for the outer track.  Have fun experimenting.

1 hour ago, Murdoch17 said:

Like this Diesel 10?

48815334808_681086cccb_z.jpg

I made him in LDD from some old instructions of a Class 38 to go along with my Lady engine, as seen in this topic here. (shameless self plug over with)

Sounds like a very cool idea to use him in WW2!  I have another suggestion about Armored trains: Any body here seen the 1965 Movie "The Train"? It's got a armored train that they blow up.... it was done in a real rail yard they were going to be changing the rail gauge in. The production company said "we'll do the demolition for ya!", blowing up everything in the yard to boot! It's a real good film, with plenty of train scenes, plus the brake noises were used on the early episodes / seasons of Thomas and Friends.

I like the looks of the diesel 10 style engine.  My German version would have the typical German railway eagle of WW2 and the turret cars behind it

also, I would love to watch that movie at some point

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

I used a LEGO Technic linear actuator.  I don't have the launcher built any longer.

There is a clone brand double tracked railgun I stumbled across on YouTube a while ago -- KAZI German 80cm k(e) Railway Gun DORA.   You can search for it online to get some ideas.  Double track would be a bit challenging for curves.  I tried using flexi-track for the outer track.  Have fun experimenting.

I don’t have that piece available but I might be able to do something 

also, the 4 stud width would add more possibilities when running