h3ctic

Any Lego motors beginner ideas for my son?

Hello everyone and thank you for letting me in :)

I'm a 49 yr old guy from Norway that has not built much Lego in my life unfortunately, But I *really* see the value in it for my 9 yr old son, and I'd like him to spend less time gaming and more time building Lego.

So I went online and bought some Lego motors, axels, bushings and gears, but I'm not very good at this (crap infact :D ) and it seems we both could use some beginner-tips on where to start.

I'm looking for VERY simple builds/tips perhaps combining two motors somehow ? (I tried to search on these forums and keep ending up in massively complex builds that makes my jaw drop but alas) :)

Thanks again folks!

Hey thank you 1963maniac...unfortunately I seem only to get very complex stuff there as well :D

But we've tried a few combinations now including a base-frame "car" with one engine at front driving one wheel, and one engine in the back driving another and we managed to remote it as well...so there's progress :D

Next I'll be trying to get him to build something with a "rotor" of sorts and try to get it to rotate as fast as possbile...I would assume the largest gear directly to the motor and then hook up a tiny gear that will be hooked up to the rotor.

Also been pondering about some pulley-system, and perhaps a conveyor-belt-system of sorts :)

Is 40 teeth the largest and 8 teeth gears the smallest you can get?

On Rebrickable you can limit your search to smaller number of parts.

No, there are many more gears. Check "Bricklink", parts, Technic gears.

Yeah thanks, :)

I know there is many more gears, but I was wondering what is the largest and smallest gears...and if that is the 40 and 8-teeth ones?

...oh that Bricklink is just awesome!! Thanks!!!! :)