General Magma

Which is your preferred skull & bones emblem?

Skull & bones  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which skull & bones emblem do you prefer?

• The new one introduced in 21322 (square head)
    • The 1989 one (smaller, rounded head)

This topic generates interesting conversations about design, minifigure anatomy - I like it.

This is a little experiment comparing regular/classic minifig head, new skeleton head and the new skull logo:

49832740418_df958eda56.jpgLEGO head blend by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49833274121_5eb2a730a3.jpgLEGO head blend2 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

49833274076_7aaed98c7f.jpgLEGO head blend3 by Gyula Herr, on Flickr

As you can see, the classic minifigure head has his eyes and mouth a little too close to each other in compared to the skeleton head, but this was the first design.

The new skeleton head and the new skull logo can be almost perfectly blended. The mismatch occurs at the top, both compared to the classic minifig head and the skeleton head: designers couldn't deside how tall it should be. Its height is between the top of the stud and the top line of the head. I think it would be better, if it followed the top line... The jaw line reaches only the bottom line of the head, that's ok for me.

Edited by ClassicLook

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Maybe this topic could benefit from a second poll...  but how many poll options should it have?

The initial post just mentions the original and new jolly rogers, but we do in fact have three past jolly roger designs:

16231914628_a4f85519f4_b.jpg

Mostly because this one is very similar to the one in the middle here. The third one is really cool but it's not the same emblem, since that one has cutlasses.

I really like the old design. Always. But it's also a question of good old feelings; it reminds me my chidhood, when I first got my hands on it.

That said; I can admit the new design has the cross bones really well done and if the head wasn't so chibby it would result to a very cool modernization !

I get that they changed the design to make it look more like a skull that would belong in a minifig head... but I don't think they achieved that at all. But the thing I don't like about it, is that the design is more childish and cartoony. It also looks deformed. I prefer the ones that look more realistic. And I really like the skull design on the one with the cutlasses. Never seen that design before. 

26 minutes ago, Totoro said:

I get that they changed the design to make it look more like a skull that would belong in a minifig head... but I don't think they achieved that at all. But the thing I don't like about it, is that the design is more childish and cartoony. It also looks deformed. I prefer the ones that look more realistic. And I really like the skull design on the one with the cutlasses. Never seen that design before. 

I think Lego did this deliberately because they wanted it to be realistic from a minifigure's point of view. Yes, they could've easily used a human skull and bones, but that wouldn't have made sense as.... well..... the set itself is supposed to be from the minifigs perspective. Not from a human perspective. 

On 4/29/2020 at 1:33 PM, Mister Phes said:

Maybe this topic could benefit from a second poll...  but how many poll options should it have?

The initial post just mentions the original and new jolly rogers, but we do in fact have three past jolly roger designs:

16231914628_a4f85519f4_b.jpg

On 4/29/2020 at 5:53 PM, General Magma said:

Mostly because this one is very similar to the one in the middle here. The third one is really cool but it's not the same emblem, since that one has cutlasses.

IMO the original, 1989 is the best. This new one not far behind.

2015 one is great and pretty close in size and look but as stated it isn't the same because of the cutlasses.

I will always go with the classic 1989. Not only because of nostalgia, but because of several reasons.

First, as some of you pointed out, it make no sense....the minifigure head is flat only to attach the rest of the head to complete it (that being hair or a hat and so on). Also, like many of you, I had to read about it first in order to understand the logic behind the flat skull head.

Makes a great point about it:

On 4/29/2020 at 2:33 AM, TalonCard said:

I think there are three schools of thought when it comes to LEGO Jolly Roger design:

• Use a regular skull, with no LEGO reference (the 1989 Jolly Roger, the Queen Anne's Revenge flag, and the 2015 Jolly Roger)
  • Use a skull that could conceivably fit *into* the regular minifigure head (2009 Jolly Roger)
  • Approximate a minifigure skull as seen on the skeleton minifigure (2003 Jolly Rogers, Metalbeard's insignia, the 2016 Ninjago Sky Pirates)

The new design seems to try and blend options 1 and 2, and while I appreciate it, I much prefer either 1 or 3. 1 for nostalgia purposes and general appearance, 3 because it makes the most sense in a purely LEGO context.

Second, and this is going to be controversial, I don't like the design of the pirates of the second and third wave. Probably because I'm extremely conservative, but in my opinion they made them too cartoony and campy. It's like they took the first series and made them more child friendly (which I'm sure they did...being a product intended for kids), but for me it was far too different than the original.

Edited by Alex Buccaneer

The old one all the way as it feels more "natural"/real-like. As others said, I couldn't tell why the new one had so out of proportions shape until they ewxplained it to me. Still, I will go for realism so I prefer the old one all the way!