KotZ

LEGO and Universal sign new deal

LEGO and Universal just signed a 5 year movie deal. Seems with LEGO's deal with WB having expired, Universal snatched up the rights. I'm curious what this would mean for films in the future, since WB (according to Wkipedia) is still holding the rights to characters like Emmet and Wyldstyle, and the supposed Batman sequel. I'm guessing no LEGO Movie 3 would happen due to the rights, but hopefully some fun new things happen.

I say this right now: LEGO UNIVERSAL MONSTERS MOVIE! 

This must happen! I do wonder how the animation will look like... 

I was surprised to see this as a news article because I thought it had been done ages ago, but I guess the contract has just been signed.

Not gonna lie - I'm kind of sad that we probably won't see Emmet and the gang again, but it could be a good thing; what with the law of diminishing returns in sequels, and all.

1 hour ago, Harkonen said:

I say this right now: LEGO UNIVERSAL MONSTERS MOVIE! 

This must happen! I do wonder how the animation will look like... 

They already have Gill Man in the movies, might as well. I just hope they keep the animations similar to how they looked, like stop-motion, and not like the LEGO games or Ninjago show.

13 minutes ago, leafan said:

I was surprised to see this as a news article because I thought it had been done ages ago, but I guess the contract has just been signed.

Not gonna lie - I'm kind of sad that we probably won't see Emmet and the gang again, but it could be a good thing; what with the law of diminishing returns in sequels, and all.

I think the deal expired awhile back but negotiations with Universal had been ongoing. These deals take so damn long, so many eyes have to go across them and sign off.

This is disappointing news for me, as I was looking forward to seeing what else would come of the current franchise. I assume this means the Billion Brick Race and Batman sequel are all canned?

Gonna be honest, I'm not looking forward too much to this. Universal doesn't have the best track record for making good animated movies, and is especially notorious for producing and animating films on the lowest budget possible, with reused assets, scenery, etc. While the Second Part was not as good as the first film, and the Batman and Ninjago movies had increasingly diminishing returns, this feels like a steep downgrade. I really hope the animation style at least stays the same or similar to the style of the previous films, but who knows what will happen at this point.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:36 AM, BlueberryWaffles said:

This is disappointing news for me, as I was looking forward to seeing what else would come of the current franchise. I assume this means the Billion Brick Race and Batman sequel are all canned?

Yes, both are cancelled. I am happy Billion Brick Race is cancelled, after seeing that concept art. Ugh. 

On 4/25/2020 at 6:40 AM, legozebra said:

Gonna be honest, I'm not looking forward too much to this. Universal doesn't have the best track record for making good animated movies, and is especially notorious for producing and animating films on the lowest budget possible, with reused assets, scenery, etc. While the Second Part was not as good as the first film, and the Batman and Ninjago movies had increasingly diminishing returns, this feels like a steep downgrade. I really hope the animation style at least stays the same or similar to the style of the previous films, but who knows what will happen at this point.

Depends, if the new Lego movies are moved to Dreamworks we might get some interesting films. I would love if the team that worked on How to train your Dragon would work on these films, or even Shrek.