Versteinert

[MOC] Modular Bait Shop And Grocery - Alternate Build for 21310 Old Fishing Store

Last year, when the bookshop was not yet known (at least for me), I assumed that TLG would completely switch to younger modular houses in the style of the Diner and the Corner Garage. As e.g. my mother only collects modular houses in the style of the old Art Nouveau buildings, I thought about how her and comparable collections should grow further. That was the moment as I decided to build a modular house out of the parts of the Old Fishing Store.

This is not only one of the biggest projects I built so far, it also was the first time that I started a project in order to make instructions and provide them to a wider audience.

And... I definitely underestimated the work ;)
It is much more difficult to build a good b-model than I thought. And it is much more difficult to create (in my opinion) good building instructions for a project this size. It was quite a challenge to use as many of the original 2000 parts as possible in a somehow creative way ;)

In the end I managed to use 1995 of the 2033 parts (without minifigures) of the original set.

I hope you like it :)

For those who are interested, building instructions can be found here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-40048/

49786491426_1facfb0d36_b.jpgOld Fishing Store - Alternative Build by Versteinert, auf Flickr

49786815782_fcacb5732d_c.jpgOld Fishing Store - Alternative Build by Versteinert, auf Flickr

49786814122_09eeb44b86_c.jpgOld Fishing Store - Alternative Build by Versteinert, auf Flickr

Nice one :classic:
Looks like an cosy old 'neighbourhood'. Like the colors too, it has a real old 'look'.
and complete with the seabirdds haha.

Wow, this is really nice. Do you have pictures of it next to the other modulars as well? 

It's so good! I love how you made a Food sign :) Everything looks just right! 

Thank you all very much :)

@Svendp No, I don't. But I'll see if I find the time to make one or two. I only have one other built modular house here (detective's office) and it's very dusty ;)

• That is actually very good! Out of the MODs of this set, this I think takes the cake. I really like how you’ve changed it of context and the tower really helps it stand out. The lifebuoys as the double OO for FOOD is really cool too :pir-love:

That is super impressive! So, you only used the pieces in the original Ideas set? If so, I'm now sorely tempted to try and pick up an Old Fishing Store myself.

I built this the other day, and all I can say is WOW.

Not only is it a beautifully constructed modular and a great build, but the instructions are really excellent as well. Thoroughly worth the small $$ cost! I particularly liked it when any time the colours are ambiguous and you helped show which one you meant (e.g. dark brown vs reddish brown). Also the tracking of 'you can use the stickered part if you like' was a nice addition.

Really blown away - I think it's the best modular alternate that I've built out of about 5-6 now for various sets.

Great work!

Thank you guys :)

@paupadros It was one of my goals to create something as different as possible. That's why I used the "brick-bricks" to build about half of the front of the house. As a result I had to include tons of sand green tiles on other sections of the moc ;)

@Agent 86 Yes, these are only parts of the original Old Fishing Store.

@JonathanM Thanks a lot. This really means much to me. I don't have much experiences with fan instructions - neither made by others nor made by me. So it's especially nice to hear that my instructions are in any way well made :)

This is an amazing MOD! Yup.. im definitely getting the instructions for this.. Im at work and all i can think of right now is running off to get this set when im done for the day ??

Hope you find the time and chance to make more MODs ????????

Edited by zulfadli2112

I just bought them. Looking forward to build it :). Thanks a lot for making this possible.

Thanks again :)

@zulfadli2112I'm glad you like it so much. And yes, I hope this was not my last b-model ;)

@SvendpSeems I was too slow. I just took some (not very good) pictures of the house next to the dusty detective's office. But as you already are building the model yourself, I think you don't need them anymore ;)

Nice alternate build. That can be quite challenging and you managed to build a different front, yet with recognizable(box) origin. I wouldn't put it in a town next to modular buildings, but would build a small sea side village around it.

This looks great, I’m always impressed by high quality alternate builds such as yours! What I especially like is the stone building and the interior, you managed to put in so much detail with all the part limitations! One should definitely consider rebuilding their OFS. :classic:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Seen this doing the rounds on insta, nice to find the creator! Really great job mate

@Redhead1982The boulevard with the other modular buildings could end in an old harbour. Perhaps I should design the fitting harbour pub next :)

In a facebook Lego group a user had the idea, my moc could fit into a scene from H.P. Lovecraft. He thought of a video game set in such a scene, but I instantly thought of Innsmouth :)

@electropieAfter reading your comment, I wondered what others may write about the moc. So I searched for it on google and I found a speedbuilt video of my moc on youtube :head_back: