MTBingNinja

Eating Crow with the new 8-wide Lego Speed Champions

Really impressed with the new Lego Speed Champions series.  Initially, I wasn't a fan of the thought of a new 8-wide series but have come to love every set.  Looking back, I think part of it was frustration that my old 6-wides would be "outdated".  I have all the new 8-wide sets and like each one of them.  The Ferrari F8 Tributo looks better in person than the caption on the box.  I thought the Formula E Panasonic Jaguar Racing Gen2 car and Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY looked dumb but pulled the trigger and purchased them last week, absolutely happy that I did as I love the colors and a lot of the building techniques.  I know that there was a lot of commotion and frustration with the transition from the 6-wide to 8-wide, but am a fan of the new camp now. 

I'm glad you are enjoying your new 8 stud Speed Champions.  I am still in the camp of not liking the change. The 6 wide vehicles were already a stretch in my city, 8 wide is just too large.  Believe if you have in a separate display or displayed by themselves would be a great addition to anyone's collection.  My collection already has too many themes so having to reel things in a bit. Unfortunately the 8 wide Speed Champions is one theme that I have decided not to collect.  

I hope TLG offers many future sets to your liking.  Its a great theme and if they had started out with 8 wide sets I would probable still be collecting the theme.    

That's a good point LegoDW.  I have a full Lego MOC Mechanic Garage Diorama where the 8-wides fit easily into place.  Even though I had to tweak it a bit, the 8-wides fit on the Ferrari FXX K & Development wind/dyno tunnel. 

I'd like a bit more detail at this larger scale and price. Opening doors and hoods would be a good start.

Overall I don't mind the change.

Honestly wasn't too sure about 8 wide either, but after building the Ferrari, not only does it look good, it fits just exactly on one side of a road plate. I like it anyways, but I can understand others do not. Also built the Audi. I have the Nissan in my backlog as well as the Jaguar pack. Waiting for the Lambos to be on sale, over 60CHF over here just seems too much to me.

Edited by HereWeGoAgain

I wasn't a fan in the beginning either, but since I have almost the hole series, I got myself the Audi in January.

After building it, I tried to widen the Ford Fiesta WRC (75885) to 8, and I really liked the result. I have then 'transformed' my Mercedes AMG GT (75877), Ford Mustang (75884) and the white Porsche 911 (75895). Currently working on the F40, borrowing the windscreen from the F8... 

My cars just sits on a shelf, they don't have a city to roam, though they are being driving fiercely by my 3-year old :)