Hi all,

introducing my WIP for this contest. I'm still coming out of my dark ages, and recently bought a 42098 (of which I've built the car to learn some techniques, and promptly pulled it apart to build an entry - I haven't built the truck yet!). The colour scheme for that led me to try to build a mini-chiron.

Functions I am aiming for are steering, 4wd, w16 engine (mid-engine), and a retracting spoiler (3 our of 4 are done). It will be around 15w x 35 long or so.

it's taken me a few weeks to get my head around proper studless construction (I started here with an entry into TC5 a long time ago with a studded entry and haven't a lot studless since), but I managed to get a reasonable chassis going. Front steering took a while to figure out, I haven't done 4wd like this before.

tc18_01.jpg

Here's a mock-up of the bodywork. You can see some similarities to the car from 42098 here, given that is my only source of dark azure pieces. The rear 3/4 panel needs to move back 1 stud, so the silver loop will be more elongated once repositioned. The goal is the build a shell that can be pulled off easily to see the insides, but easier said than done.

tc18_03.jpg

Edited by CharlieBravo

I was waiting for someone to make a little chiron. What do you do with the rear arch?

well after a bit of work I have a front that I am reasonably happy with. 

apologies for the poor photography, it isn't my strong suit. 

NoExist: I plan to use liftarms and a flex axle to create an arch around the rear wheel.

tc18_04.jpg

If Jim is reading this, don't stress - I am aware of the chassis discussion in the information topic; the picture above is not going to be submitted, but just to show the underside. I'll need to pull it apart to fit in a few seats, hold in the steering axles and build a bulkhead to separate the engine from the cabin and will take a cutaway photo then. And yes, the side bodywork isn't complete on the side facing downward :)

tc18_05.jpg

Here is the engine. Yes, I am well aware I am missing a few pistons - this is a WIP after all :). I moved the bent liftarm upward for viewing: it normally runs horizontal to the engine and connects to the L shaped thin liftarm connected to the rear axle mount.

tc18_06.jpg

tc18_08.jpg

tc18_09.jpg

I think I will have to give up on the rear spoiler, as the engine is too bulky (needed to mount it over the rear diff) to have a spoiler over the top of it. No interior as yet.

The first attempt at the rear is very boxy - it is a temporary frame to give a feel for dimensions. I plan to taper the rear inward 1 stud behind the rear wheel arch to make it a bit more fluid.

Edited by CharlieBravo
added a bit more text to explain photos

Maybe with frontlights added, it will look beter. Maybe on bottom black tile is needed. Or rise that grey littlebit up.

Well, after a bit of an update, I think I am finally done. 

Firstly, Jurss, thanks for your suggestions. I rose the grey tile up; headlights are bit trickier, so I added grey pins to appear as headlights. Not perfect, but it looks better. 

tc18_e2.jpg

managed to add a simple white interior as well. 

tc18_e1.jpg

tc18_b3.jpg

tc18_top.jpg

2 hours ago, CharlieBravo said:

so I added grey pins to appear as headlights

Don't You have those square transparent 1x1 tiles as on official set?

Edited by Jurss

This is a very interestimg idea, it remains only improve this model and something very cool will come out of it.