Linnutorn

[TC18] Oldschool hatchback (VW Gremlin) (finished)

Hi there!

This is my first topic on the Eurobricks forum and my first attempt to participate in a construction competition from Lego Technician. I see a lot of cool models - Eurobricks is really a storehouse of talents!

At first I was going to build a sports car in a vintage style (which Porsche did in the 70s), but after building the prototype I have to admit that this is not my level yet. Therefore, I decided to turn to simpler forms. My goal is an old-school-style hatchback with no specific reference to a real model. I was inspired by the AMC Gremlin body styles, as well as the old Honda Civic and Volkswagen Rabbit / Golf. But technically I will not repeat any of them.

Highlights:

1. Only rear-wheel drive with an old-style legal differential.
2. Independent suspension of both axles.
3. Steering from HOG.
4. Rear-engine layout (left over from the idea of a Porsche).
5. A working fake engine.
6. Detailed interior, lighting, engine.
7. Opening doors and hood. Perhaps the trunk, but in the trunk will still be basically the front suspension.

I do not have much experience on a small scale, but I hope to fulfill all the goals.

Part one. Front axle

The front axle is simple, if not primitive. The design with one shock absorber allowed to save vertical space, but reduced the suspension travel while simultaneously operating both axles. However, given the scale, this does not look like a problem.

49809396701_ce30d61d2d_c.jpg

49808841158_bcd00cd6b1_c.jpg

Part two. Rear axle

I had to tinker with the rear axle, because I wanted to install a differential, and not a rigid angular transmission. As you know, Lego differentials are bulky, and therefore require a lot of space. Therefore, the rear axle is a three-dimensional box, where the differential floats in its center.

49809396771_07d44c3d89_c.jpg

Part three. Fake engine

49809697777_2e7cb4e7a8_c.jpg

I damn love the very idea of a fake engine, so I try to put them in one form or another in all my models. Then I started with the B-shaped six, but I ran into the problem of volume: it stuck too far. In addition, for a small hatchback, 6 cylinders look strange, so I decided to put a modest 4 cylinder in a row.

Edited by Linnutorn

Okay, I'm blind or stupid. All this time, I considered that 17 studs were the permissible width of the model.

Thank you Zerobricks for saving me from remaking the whole car.

Rebuild both axes. Now with wheels from the Ford Mustang, they fit into 15 studs. I abandoned the independent front suspension, returning to a simple but reliable gear rack design.

49812434703_9fb2387154_c.jpg

49813279982_52ef34a9ac_c.jpg

I presume, the front independent suspension for 15 studs seems real, but the backlashes become significant. Also it requires narrow 14 mm wheels, I don’t have'em.

For today: make the fake engine more compact and finish the construction of the chassis.

The chassis is ready in raw form. It is necessary to think about the longitudinal power elements, since I plan to make the doors openable.

49816450493_46b41702da_c.jpg

But the fake engine, I think, has found its final form. The most compact option that I could design. Belt transmission added for greater realism and reduce the chatter of gears while driving.

49816983631_8744260660_c.jpg

Plans for today: to develop a power frame and begin to install the basic elements of the body.

Some bodyworks and interior works. That's second version of the body, first was too ugly to take a picture.

The car turns out low, almost rally-like. Perhaps this will be reflected in the final design - and it will be a rally version of a civilian car for public roads - like the Lancer Evolution, for example.

The rear position of the engine and the “dead space” between the vehicle interior and the engine compartment (it is entirely occupied by suspension and HOG output) defines the specific silhouette of the car, more likely for mid-engined cars, which are rarely found among civilian variants.

I plan to keep two rows of seats anyway. The front seats recline for access to the back row. They can also be laid out for sleeping.

The engine will be significantly detailed. I have already prepared an oil filter, an air filter, a battery and a cooling radiator.

Of course, with such a geometry, the suspension becomes fictitious, and its actual backlash hardly exceeds 1 stud.

49854341236_28d768bf74_c.jpg

49853800728_04902c6f02_c.jpg

49854341296_0c477905a2_c.jpg

49854640997_d2bab8bb38_c.jpg

Bodyworks is actually not my cup of tea. Sometimes I see how other Lego builders make fantastic shapes from angular Lego blocks, and it seems to me that this is some sort of magic. I'm still using box-like design.

Finally, the project is completed. I’m a damn master to fit into the deadlines!

As you know, creating a Golf / Rabbit, Volkswagen made a revolution in its cars, abandoning a number of things that had previously become synonymous with Volkswagen (rear-engine layout, for example). Some Volkswagen units were trying to deeply upgrade the classic Beetle instead of releasing new models. This project is a fantasy on the topic of a similar development direction.

So, I represent the rear-engine two-door five-seater Volkswagen Gremlin. In theory, this is a small practical machine that can be used both in the city and in the countryside, which is bought by teenagers, young families and those who really want to save on fuel. But for a small surcharge, you get a stylish body kit, a rear spoiler and even a slightly shaped engine that will roar a little louder when you drive along the boulevard, trying to impress.

49901390462_7daf56d206_b.jpg

49901390257_fa516435b6_b.jpg

Car is based on a rear wheel drive chassis with independent rear suspension and a dependent front suspension. The suspension gives a relatively long stroke, but in the car it is limited by both the depth of the arches and low ground clearance. The four-cylinder engine is located behind the rear axle and has a belt drive. Drive through a floating differential.
The steering is carried out using the HOG, the steering wheel does not rotate. The steering knuckles are made on the basis of ball mounts, which allowed to realize a deep reach of wheels from a set of 10265 (Ford Mustang).

49900562318_1988793cde_b.jpg

49900561993_104106d356_b.jpg

49900561728_6eddd18bfb_b.jpg

The strange silhouette of the car is due to the strongly outboard engine and the fact that the rear suspension takes a hell of a lot of space. It would be more correct to call it a sedan rather than a hatchback, but I believe that fictional Volkswagen marketers preferred a “hatchback” to position it as a youth car. Perhaps in the future I will assemble a station wagon on the same base.

49901386082_128e171388_b.jpg

49901076006_ce3ea2a65b_b.jpg

49901384502_f5f6b81c0e_b.jpg

Of course, for the 70s such a design looks radically outdated (who said the Porsche?). But I looked for pictures of the modernization concepts of the classic Volkswagen Beetle and found that many of them looked outdated for their time, so I decided to confine myself to a hybrid of the 60s and 70s, where from the 60s I took round headlights and some body shapes, and from 70s - straight lines and large windows.

49900559593_c8ac65c84f_b.jpg

49900560758_45f12c7e2a_b.jpg

Both doors, hood, trunk are openable. If a rear spoiler is installed on the machine, it must be folded out before opening the hood.

49901384887_4674733235_b.jpg

The car has two rows of seats (although the back, frankly, can hardly be called convenient). So there are only two doors, for access to the rear row of seats, the backs of the front seats can be folded forward. They can also be folded back for rest. Also, the rear seats fold for carrying luggage (although in my model the luggage space is firmly occupied by the HOG).

The cabin has a detailed control panel with instruments, a radio, a gear knob and ventilation and heating control. There are also two driver pedals.

49901080171_49a8a395f7_b.jpg

49900564053_6622c171e3_b.jpg

In the trunk you can see a fire extinguisher and such necessary tools for car repair as a hammer and wrench. As additional elements, I put together a retro-style tape recorder and two cans of beer :) Why not have a drink on the ocean shore while listening to hits from the 70s?

49901077676_624108f933_b.jpg

49901079496_92c62faa75_b.jpg

The engine is highly detailed. In addition to the fake cylinder block, you can see the battery, air filter, oil filter and the neck for filling the coolant. Two radiators are located on the sides of the car, and air is blown through the grilles in the area of the rear license plate.

49904600092_ea2ac6849e_b.jpg

The headache in a car of this scale is always the suspension. I like to make the suspension in LEGO models, but when we talk about cars with wheels with a diameter of 49.5 mm, it remains more like a decorative function. Unless, of course, we want to maintain realistic proportions and small gaps between the wheels and the arches. The actual suspension travel is about 1 stud, after which the car catches the ground with the front bumper or exhaust pipe. it would be interesting to raise it to 2 studs and put 49.5 mm 56 mm instead of wheels. Maybe I'll do it in the future :)

49901078416_49f1724a5f_b.jpg

And a few more detailed photos in the end. I tried to achieve a realistic look with the help of lighting, rear-view mirrors and other little things.

49901078726_03631ea128_b.jpg

49901387512_a6d7383206_b.jpg

That's all. Thank you for your attention!

P.S. I apologize again for my rusty English.

Edited by Linnutorn

Nice work telling the story behind the VW Gremlin. Any car aimed at teenagers should have front seats that fold down flat :wink:

The black 1/2 beam as door furniture is a lovely detail.

52 minutes ago, msk6003 said:

Wait, those DBG wedge belt wheel is from shaomi.

Hmm, looks like you're right. I have pre-owned 42082 kit and just now see that pulleys are different. I have an original one, so'll change it asap.

49902027758_c567fa56c8_b.jpg

I'm gonna make quality pic of engine tomorrow, that's just for proof.

Thanks to msk6003