Berthil

Rietveld Schröder Modular

I designed this modular as a modern home inspired by the Rietveld Schröder House in Utrecht (so it doesn't want to be a copy). The Rietveld Schröder House was designed by Gerrit Rietveld, known for his Red and Blue chair (also in the house) and was build in 1924!

I tried to keep as many exterior and interior details as possible but fit them in a 32x32 modular (the original house was much bigger). This means the details are there but not necessarily in the original location. It was a challenge to create it in such a way that it can be taken apart as a Modular. The walls with 1x1 plates are inspired by F-Town by Aukbricks.

More information on the real house: https://www.rietveldschroderhuis.nl/en/rietveld-schroder-house?set_language=en
Free building instruction on Rebrickable
https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-40484/Berthil/rietveld-schröder-modular/

49806451367_57afc5004c_c.jpg

49806128041_275f4dda6e_c.jpg

49805569928_d75c1e5263_c.jpg

49806119301_c2da3ac9ce_c.jpg

49806431742_fd1843aa3b_c.jpg

49806430182_315db2089d_c.jpg

49806107731_b73c74f2cb_c.jpg

49805549883_07f4463d07_c.jpg

Video:

Edited by Berthil

Very interesting — de Stijl is not to my taste but this is very well executed. The texture provided by the 1x1 plates reminded me a little of the Maison de Verre in Paris. Nice build, and thanks for sharing.

It's a masterpiece. With flexible second floor and everything. Always happy to see important bits of architectural history in brick form, and in bigger scale than usual Architecture sets. The drawing table is nice little detail.

No need for all those fancy post-1980 Lego colours! Very nice modular.

On 4/23/2020 at 1:49 AM, sawyer klegr said:

Nice! Love the wall built out of the 1x1 plates, it looks so good and I imagine it was hard to build.

I agree ...I like this particular technique! Nice modern final result! :wub:

Thank you all!
I know such a model is not to everyones taste so thanks for all the positive comments.

This is great!

Years back I attended architecture studies at Hogeschool Utrecht, so a visit to the Rietveld Schröder house was almost mandatory, and boy, was I glad I went there! It's a beautiful landmark in architecture, and your rendition is evenly marvelous. And then those details like the chair, the drawing board and that little chain cord on the toilet...:wub_drool: Very nice to see this type of build compared to the more baroque styled modulars that are around plenty.:thumbup: 

I hardly ever build MOCs created by others, and when I do I take them apart rather quick so I can use the pieces to make my own MOCs, but I am seriously tempted to get the pieces for this one and put it on permanent display...

Absolutely brilliant! I’ve studied nearby and drove by this house a lot! 
Great build!