Hello everyone.

Since this is my first topic here, I’d like to introduce myself a bit first (but for those who don't care, I will put it to the spoiler :) )

Spoiler

First of all I'm an application programmer (F#, PHP, javascript) - my github.
I love Lego since 1994, but I've discovered the beauty of the Lego Technic just recently, when I got EV3 Mindstorms for Christmas last year.
In the moment I've seen a first supercar on rebrickable, I was consumed by it. I've started with 8070 - Supercar, then MOCs from @Didumos69 - HammerHead chassis and @Paul Boratko - Deluxe Car and Vampire GT - which all I really like!. Yesterday I’ve finished Bugatti Chiron (and I’m already looking forward to rebuilding it to pimped version I've found here).
Also I’ve read about mechanics, built a couple of gearboxes which I’ve found at rebrickable, youtube and here.

My dream is to build my own hypercar, powered by EV3 and controlled by XBox-Controller.

For now, I have almost nothing but my dream. But I’d like to share my way here (hope it is not a problem :) ).

I have some features and stuff I’d like to at least try. As I see it now, it has a three main parts.

1. Build a chassis
  2. Create a program to run it
  3. Make it look great

I will update this message as my progress goes.

• Photos and .io files (for Studio) of my progress - bricksafe
  • Videos - Youtube Playlist
  • Changelog
    • Spoiler
      MF HyperCar
      ===========

## 3.0.0
      - Front & Rear wheels
      - Gearbox in the back
      - Motors without any Vx
      - Paddle box (not connected)
      - All connected and working

Motors -> Gearbox
      Front wheels <--^--> Rear wheels

## 2.0.0
      - Mainly just tests

## 1.0.0
      - Initial base
      - Motors with V12
      - Gearbox
      - Paddle box (not connected)

Building a chassis

Progress: I’m trying different gearboxes and building a base chassis.

Motors:

• 2 large motors for movement

• 1 medium motor to control steering

• 1 medium motor to control transmission

Transmission and Gearbox:

• I’ve tried 2 large motors at HammerHead chassis by @Didumos69 and it worked, but not great, but I guess it was because of the gearbox is not meant to be used by motors.

•  

• so I’m thinking about a more heavy-duty gearbox with a max 4 speeds (maybe I don't even need that many speeds) - but I’d need a strong 1st gear to make it move, then gear up to make it faster

• I don't need a reverse, since it is done by motors themselves

• but I’d like to have a neutral, which will have a running motors, but not the car (as it is in normal cars) - it is just a feature I’d like to make - you will start a car, so motors will go to ~5 % of speed but a car will be still until a 1st speed is set

Create a program to run it

Progress: I have a prototype which can run a car forward/backward by X-box controller.

I had quite a good experience with https://github.com/BrianPeek/legoev3 library.

I'm using F# on Mac with .netcore (which is not that common as I've noticed :D ) and I'm trying to control my EV3 brick with Xbox-Controller (connected to PC with Windows 10, where I run a program) - here is the source code. For now, I still need the computer to communicate with the EV3 brick and the XBox-Controller (which I guess wont change, since the XBox-Controller wont communicate with EV3 brick in any way) Example is here:

Make it look great

Progress: None so far.

I don't want this car to be any specific replica. But I really love look of the Mercedes Maybach 6 concept car. So I will try it to look alike.

maybach.jpg?fit=550,828&ssl=1

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm very open to any questions, suggestions and ideas or any other comments. And to be honest, I think it could be quite a long journey to go :) .

Edited by MortalFlesh
Add changelog

In this case, I suppose, it will be already good, if you create some generic chassis that is operated by that xbox controller. You may think also about remote gear switching, but then You will need additional motor. But this is now easyer, since we have that rotary gear selector.

A very nice project ! 

I was wondering how you could do without a computer in the loop (software engineer here too :wink:) and I read that you don't, at the moment. Indeed, the Xbox controller cannot talk to the EV brick directly. Instead of a computer, I figured you may use a tablet or mobile phone : this would actually let you use it as a proper RC.. 

Anyway, good luck in this enterprise, looking forward to seeing progress! 

In this case, I suppose, it will be already good, if you create some generic chassis that is operated by that xbox controller.

Generic (or at least not a specific) chassis for ev3 is indeed a first step now.

You may think also about remote gear switching, but then You will need additional motor. But this is now easyer, since we have that rotary gear selector.

Its exactly, what I wanna do - as I mentioned in the motors section.. 

20 hours ago, MortalFlesh said:
  • 1 medium motor to control transmission

I was wondering how you could do without a computer in the loop (software engineer here too :wink:) and I read that you don't, at the moment. Indeed, the Xbox controller cannot talk to the EV brick directly. Instead of a computer, I figured you may use a tablet or mobile phone : this would actually let you use it as a proper RC.. 

Yea I'm aware of that, but I want to use the Xbox controller its one of the features that is (now) must-have for me :)

So far I kinda struggle with placement of all the components I wanna put in it (they are huge!).

First of all I have designed a motor (2 L EV3 motors with V12) which is too big to fit I’m afraid. V12 is also parallel from the axle which goes to the gearbox, so the V12 is always moves the same speed as the EV3 motors are - but the wheels would move by the geared speed - which is IMHO more realistic (but I might be wrong *huh* )..

Then I wanna use a HD gearbox with 4 speeds by Crowkillers (also kinda big).

I’d like to have a paddle shifter (by Crowkillers), controlling transmission manually but also control it by EV3 medium motor - at the same time - so far I’m not sure how to achieve it. Manual controlling is enough ATM.

I was able to connect a motor with a gearbox and it fits to the base - here is an example:

But then I realized - what about wheels?

So now I’m trying a to figure out a different setup.

First of all I needed wheels - I’m using a shorten version from a Didumos’s HammerHead car.

I’m trying to put the wheels under a V12 motor somehow, but I guess it is too high all together. So I’m also thinking about a building it without any V-engine first - only with EV3 motors.

I’ve created a bricksafe gallery where there are photos and .io files (for Studio). I also added a link to the gallery to the top message.

Edited by MortalFlesh

So - it moves!

Well .. it’s not great yet, but it works.

I’m not sure if the motors are weak or if there is another problem. I’m using rechargeable batteries for EV3 brick, so it can have less power than normal batteries (9V).

Model currently weighs about 1.5 kg.

There is a lot gearing up going on - I want to try to change it not to use only gearing up, so it might help.

Do you have any experience with that weight and EV3 motors (I think L PWF motors have the same stats) - should I use more of them or should it be enough?

I’ve changed all gearing up to gear down and it moves much better and it is not that slow as I feared it will. Yea, it is not a super fast, but at least it runs smoothly.

I have a motor, controlling a transmission now, so I can shift by a controller during a driving - which is cool!

Also I’ve created a video of composing modules together (it has a modular chassis).

I know it is not much yet, but I like how it goes forward!