thomassio

[MOC] Leiden restaurant [modular building]

49788358407_dc24591167_z.jpg

Hogewoerd Leiden by Thomas van Urk, on Flickr

When I moved to Leiden I noticed one building that I really liked. A couple of years ago I made a first attempt to recreate the building in plastic bricks, but I was never quite happy with it, and demolished it. But every time I rode through the street I was confronted with it and could not resist looking at it. It was a very dangerous way of cycling in the city traffic. So I tried again and here it is anyway. 

49788111122_f2fbe05b68_z.jpg

Hogewoerd Leiden by Thomas van Urk, on Flickr

49785342981_402b03a1cf_z.jpg

49788165997_9faeac6ffe_z.jpg

49788151437_c3a473d196_z.jpg

Edited by thomassio

Wow, your first attempt was a good one already, but this one surely beats that. I don't know the actual building, but looking at the photo you did extremely well. 

Just perfect Thomas, great job! Are those tiles inside customs (apart from the ship)? That whole block are potentially interesting buildings for modulars.

B.t.w. you should show those ladies from LEGO Masters how to make a decent (great!) looking zeppelin ;) 

Superb! The window framings are wonderful. Also very impressive to see how you managed to work with very small amount of bricks being available in sand red (TLG bring it back already!).

I'm glad you gave this a second look. The first iteration was nothing shabby, but in rebuilding you've really paid attention to the flat surfaces all the way around the corner tower. Very nice job and thanks for sharing!

Wow, beautiful! You've really captured all the architectural details in LEGO and the resemblance is stunning. A job well done! Where can we see your first attempt to compare? I checked your Flickr, but couldn't find it. Maybe I didn't look good enough though...

Did you show it to the owner of the bakery? I'm sure he (or she) would be stunned seeing their bakery so well-made in bricks!

Nice! Never give up :)
Will look at the building more carefully next time I'm in Leiden, my son lives above Annie's :)

23 hours ago, Maple said:

LEGO made sand red legs?!

Yes, they came with Gilderoy Lockhart but only with him so they are kind of rare, on the other hand it was a pretty common Set so they are not so expensive.

For the Moc I can just say that I`m really enjoying the amount of work that went into the whole Moc and I have to admit that these windows are georgious. Also cool to see that sand Red!

On 4/22/2020 at 2:21 PM, gotoAndLego said:

Beautiful job.

Thanks!

On 4/22/2020 at 2:54 PM, carebear said:

Hi

I know this building, the likeness is spot on!!!

Great Work!

Greetings! ( Groetjes )

Thanks! Groeten terug!

On 4/22/2020 at 3:13 PM, Svendp said:

Wow, your first attempt was a good one already, but this one surely beats that. I don't know the actual building, but looking at the photo you did extremely well. 

Thanks! The first attempt did have some techniques which I didn't use this time but which I might use again in different Mocs.

On 4/22/2020 at 4:08 PM, JopieK said:

Just perfect Thomas, great job! Are those tiles inside customs (apart from the ship)? That whole block are potentially interesting buildings for modulars.

B.t.w. you should show those ladies from LEGO Masters how to make a decent (great!) looking zeppelin ;) 

Yes they are custom printed tiles. I think I bought some from Brickizimo. One tile I got from Bricks am Meer. I did consider building the entire street, but decided the corner building was the most interesting. We'll see what future projects will bring.

On 4/22/2020 at 5:25 PM, peedeejay said:

Superb! The window framings are wonderful. Also very impressive to see how you managed to work with very small amount of bricks being available in sand red (TLG bring it back already!).

Thanks! I agree they should bring back sand red. It's a great stone color. They did it with teal, so sand red should be next.

On 4/22/2020 at 7:05 PM, Brandon Pea said:

Nice job! I love every single detail about this. 

Thanks!

On 4/22/2020 at 11:02 PM, Maple said:

LEGO made sand red legs?!

Luckily they did.

On 4/23/2020 at 4:21 AM, jimmynick said:

I'm glad you gave this a second look. The first iteration was nothing shabby, but in rebuilding you've really paid attention to the flat surfaces all the way around the corner tower. Very nice job and thanks for sharing!

Thanks!

19 hours ago, alois said:

I second the comment about the zeppelin....

I must say I agree. I was very confused watching Lego Masters for I could not see any zeppelin.:sceptic:

14 hours ago, Khorne said:

Wow, beautiful! You've really captured all the architectural details in LEGO and the resemblance is stunning. A job well done! Where can we see your first attempt to compare? I checked your Flickr, but couldn't find it. Maybe I didn't look good enough though...

Did you show it to the owner of the bakery? I'm sure he (or she) would be stunned seeing their bakery so well-made in bricks!

Thanks! There is a link in the first post to the first version. I haven't showed it to the owner of the house. I've never even visited the restaurant. Maybe I will.

12 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

Fantastic job, wow. 

Thanks!

12 hours ago, Berthil said:

Nice! Never give up :)
Will look at the building more carefully next time I'm in Leiden, my son lives above Annie's :)

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Legonaut said:

Yes, they came with Gilderoy Lockhart but only with him so they are kind of rare, on the other hand it was a pretty common Set so they are not so expensive.

For the Moc I can just say that I`m really enjoying the amount of work that went into the whole Moc and I have to admit that these windows are georgious. Also cool to see that sand Red!

Correct. Luckily they weren't expensive. The 1x2 plates on the other hand...:wacko:

Just now, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Incredible arrangement of architectural forms ...wonderful result :thumbup:
I love the windows on the street level with wooden inserts! :wub_drool:

Thanks!

As said by others, beautiful building with an amazing resemblance to the original! I love the inclusion of sand red and sand green in the build - they raise your MOC from "similar" to "re-creation in Lego"!  The only detail the confuses me is the colored plates just above the windows on the green-striped floors - I just don't see that coloring in the original building, but that may just be my eyesight.