Piraten

LEGO Ideas. Caswell Point Turned down.

4 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Ok, let's assume submitting a concept to LEGO Ideas provides the LEGO Group with free reign over the concept to do as they please.

Have they ever released an "in-house" set which is remarkably similar to a LEGO Ideas submission?

Several times. Just off the top of my head the Ghostbusters Firehouse, Jurassic Park T-Rex Rampage, and Fiat 500 come to mind. When you broaden the criteria to include Ideas submissions that didn't reach 10k, there's also the Apollo lunar lander and many others, I'm sure.

26 minutes ago, Corydoras said:

The UCS Hulkbuster... 

10 hours ago, icm said:

Several times. Just off the top of my head the Ghostbusters Firehouse, Jurassic Park T-Rex Rampage, and Fiat 500 come to mind. When you broaden the criteria to include Ideas submissions that didn't reach 10k, there's also the Apollo lunar lander and many others, I'm sure.

Thank you both for the examples...  are the original submissions for the aforementioned sets still on LEGO Ideas?

I'm curious to see just how close they are to the sets which were eventually released.

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Thank you both for the examples...  are the original submissions for the aforementioned sets still on LEGO Ideas?

I'm curious to see just how close they are to the sets which were eventually released.

Yes, you can find them still on Ideas (also on Google) and they are pretty similar.

Just now, Piraten said:

And dont get it... this one was approved

Have submissions ever been approved and then unapproved?

I don't quite understand that reasoning. I mean, we've had several NASA-themed sets released on Ideas so far, with even more having been submitted without issues...

Unless, of course, it's simply to cover up an upcoming Pirates theme.

8 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Have submissions ever been approved and then unapproved?

Well, they even cancelled projects (Mystery Shack, Tea Garden) after they reached 10.000 supporters, but before starting the review stage ... It's ... complicated.

10 hours ago, Piraten said:

Sorry that your build didn't get approved! I would really like something like that in my pirate collection!

I'll be honest, I actually fully expected my idea to get turned down after seeing a few topics like this one...

6 hours ago, Hive said:

I don't quite understand that reasoning. I mean, we've had several NASA-themed sets released on Ideas so far, with even more having been submitted without issues...

Unless, of course, it's simply to cover up an upcoming Pirates theme.

NASA has a longstanding relationship with LEGO and therefore can basically create as many (or none at all) NASA-themed sets. At least that is my understanding of the situation.

2 hours ago, Alazon said:

Well, they even cancelled projects (Mystery Shack, Tea Garden) after they reached 10.000 supporters, but before starting the review stage ... It's ... complicated.

Sometimes they will can a project if they feel that it would be to difficult to turn it into a full fledged lego model. They can do that at any stage of the process, even after 10k has been reached.

Edited by LM71Blackbird

20 minutes ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Sometimes they will can a project if they feel that it would be to difficult to turn it into a full fledged lego model. They can do that at any stage of the process, even after 10k has been reached.

Sure. In these cases, if I understand correctly, they found out that the creators were LEGO store employees, which is not allowed in the Ideas TOS.

Just now, Alazon said:

Sure. In these cases, if I understand correctly, they found out that the creators were LEGO store employees, which is not allowed in the Ideas TOS.

More layers to onion! I hadn't heard of that news before... I don't think that's really fair though. If you make a great looking model, you should be afforded the same opportunity as everyone else to get it produced.

Just now, LM71Blackbird said:

More layers to onion! I hadn't heard of that news before... I don't think that's really fair though. If you make a great looking model, you should be afforded the same opportunity as everyone else to get it produced.

So true... so fair...

1 hour ago, LM71Blackbird said:

NASA has a longstanding relationship with LEGO and therefore can basically create as many (or none at all) NASA-themed sets. At least that is my understanding of the situation.

Lego has partnered with NASA in some form or another for the Town/City Space sets at least since 1995 (as stated in old Mania Magazines) and probably since 1990, since that's when the first Space Shuttle was released.

9 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Sorry that your build didn't get approved! I would really like something like that in my pirate collection!

I'll be honest, I actually fully expected my idea to get turned down after seeing a few topics like this one...

Thanks. And think your build is great. But when you see the one @lomis made that are similar to the one you made. Then you just dont get it... 

20 hours ago, Piraten said:

That is weird indeed. I once had a revision of the Imperial Trading Post rejected because it was a remake of an existing set...

10 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

That's not the point though. The point is that the "we already have one Ideas set with that theme, so we can't have more" reasoning in regards to Pirates is ridiculous - since it's obviously not a problem with other subjects/themes.

9 minutes ago, Hive said:

That is weird indeed. I once had a revision of the Imperial Trading Post rejected because it was a remake of an existing set...

That just don't make sense to me. There is no line in this. How long time ago was that. And do you have a picture to share ? 

2 hours ago, Piraten said:

That just don't make sense to me. There is no line in this. How long time ago was that. And do you have a picture to share ? 

It was probably 3 years ago. And granted, it was very similar to the original...

IMAG0138.jpg

IMAG0136.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hive said:

It was probably 3 years ago. And granted, it was very similar to the original...

Very similar.. But when you see what else that are approved... Don't know then. Just crazy

17 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

This has got me wondering about the fate of the Caribbean Clipper remake .

What happens if it reaches 10K?  Is this submission also subject to this "overlap" with Pirates of Barracuda Bay (and ship concept)?

Click here to support

It will be turned down for sure. The same will my project and the project of Delusion. Talked to Delusion last night and he also think it will be turned down. 

I'd think any form of ship, skull island or tavern is fairly unlikely in the near future (1-2 years) via IDEAS.

Medieval Blacksmith is coming at some point, which could be re-purposed as a larger tavern I suppose.

For Fortress type sets, or Islanders, no idea what LEGO's plans are, but having pirates with no other factions feels a bit empty, even with the 2 fantastic larger Pirates sets on the market in 2020. (I didn't collect 2009 or 2015 sets).

A Chess set or Advent Calendar could also still be a welcome surprise.

Edited by TeriXeri