Sign in to follow this  
AmperZand

[MOC] East-West Fire Dragon

I'm with Jang in thinking that the dragon in Kai's Fire Dragon (71701) leaves a lot to be desired. Sure, it's a '4+' set, but even so...

71701_alt3.jpg

Still, I bought the set. For one thing, I like the design of the ninja minifigure, Kai, and the side build. More importantly, I was drawn to the parts for the dragon's head, torso front and legs. They deserved to be part of a much better dragon. So I MOCed this, a hybrid Eastern-Western dragon:

highres_490185397.jpeghighres_490185398.jpeghighres_490185399.jpeg

It's meant to be an actual dragon, not a mech as Kai's dragon is, I think.

What the pictures don't convey well is its size. I didn't set out to create a dragon that was particularly small or large, just a beast that had its parts in proportion. In the end, it came in at 12" (>30cm) long with a wingspan of over 12" (31cm).

The wings were inspired by/modded from the phoenix in Flinx's Ultimate Phoenix (70221). The rest is MOC.

I don't normally give MOCs names, but I have dubbed this one Redux after the word 'redux' (presented in a new way/revived) as it is just that, a 71701 redux, and also a play on the 'Red' in 'Redux' because of the dragon's dominant colour.

Questions? Comments? Quivering at the prospect of being this guy's lunch?

Edited by AmperZand

Now that’s a hot drake:dangry:

So sad they haven’t released those ball hinges in a couple more colours... Like red..green..tan..

I think I need to build one of these now!  What a great use of parts to make a fantastic looking dragon!  Great job!

On 4/30/2020 at 6:17 AM, Grover said:

I think I need to build one of these now!  What a great use of parts to make a fantastic looking dragon!  Great job!

Thank you, @Grover. Very kind of you to say so.

If you or anyone else would like to copy my dragon, please do. I only ask that you credit it to AmperZand and if you post pictures online, you include a link to this thread.