Dorino

[MOD] 21322 - Alternate Model

Hello everyone!

This year brought us wonderful pirate set. 21322 - Pirates of Barracuda Bay comes from IDEAS line and is one of the biggest sets Lego introduced this year.

I am the person who never really cared about pirates theme because most interesting sets were released before my "lego phase" and now years later they are hard to find at acceptable price. 

However once i saw first announcement of 21322 i knew i had to have it. In fact, the reason i got very excited about the set was the fact that "bay" can be turned into the ship. My set arrived just few days ago and during first day i only built the ship because i didn't really care about the "bay". Now, few days later, i decided to build remaining part of the set to see if i like. Before i even got to the instruction i came up with idea of making "alternate" build of 21322 with the Ship option on. The ship looks great as a display piece but i decided i wanted to have something to go with it, and since "leftover bay" doesn't really look good i decided to use parts from 21322 to make my own version of bay.

I opened all the bags and mixed them all in front of me and started building. The fact that i was only limited to fixed amount of parts was very exciting and new to me. I usually build with thinking "ill just buy needed parts instead of coming up with way of using the parts i have". 

I had rough idea of what i wanted. I knew it will have to be some kind of island because not using all these blue and tan pieces would be wasteful. When i realized that there are two stairs pieces i decided to make my own "multilevel bay". While designing the layout i was thinking of Booty Bay from World of Warcraft. After quick look at available parts i knew that i will probably be able to make only one store / house. Because the set comes with very high amount of pirate accessories i decided that my version of 21322 will be some kind of shop.

Today, i present you B version of 21322 - Pirate Shop

20200419_183559

I will now mention all the details of the moc from customer perspective!  :pir-sweet:

20200419_181109

You arrive at the bay. You need supplies and the merchant needs to sell. You have been doing this all your life, go, pick, pay. nothing new.

20200419_181122

As you walk through the pier you realize there is a lot of supplies here and there. What catches your attention is that there is a pig living in rather exotic environment. 

20200419_181126

Nothing crazy about it, As long as it have place to sleep and live it should be happy, right? It looks like someone is obviously keeping care of it. There is a cage made of old prison doors and bucket with rakes. There is surprising amount of bones, but well, a lot of beings likes meat. How do you even get prison doors anyway?

The island is tiny, yet there is a lot of people. They are just like you, they are either selling or buying.

20200419_181133

It looks like two very similar looking people are unloading their boat. Great, fresh stock!

20200419_181139

You know where to go and you shouldn't really care about what else is on the island. You do realize there are other stairs leading to somewhere but that's not what you came here.

20200419_181210

The store is great! Various tools, exactly what you needed. You can even buy some weapons but they are kept away from customer reach. You can even get some food if you want.

20200419_181552

You take what you want and you pay. You return to where you came from and live goes on.

However, you think you are above the law, you don't always follow rules and you are aware of danger that comes with reckless actions. 

Let's see what would have happened if today was day you wanted to be a pirate.

20200419_181609

You try to scare the merchant, yet it doesn't work. The seller immediately pulls the lever and sends you to the cave below the store.

20200419_181427

The cave looks like it dealt with problematic customers before. There is a skeleton hanging from the wall and there is a cell. In all of this, why would you leave gold bars for anyone to see. Why?

20200419_181645

The fall from the store is not the full punishment. You land in the house of befriended shark before you realize what happened. You don't even realize there is a skeleton, all you see is gold. You never leave the cave.

They day goes on, and another person arrives at the store pier. Just like you, he wonders why is there a pig behind cell doors and why are there so many bones around it? Would you ever wonder whose stuff you just bought? Would you ever think where did that meet you just ate come from? Would you ever think that you just avoided horrible death?

THIS WAS COOL! 

I am not sure if i ever introduced any of my mocs this way but it was surely something interesting! 

Whenever i get new set (small to mid) i always try to put it together without instruction. Photos on box are the only things i use. I usually get most of it and once i reach the point where i have no idea how to continue i start with instruction. The 21322 gave me a new challenge and i surely enjoyed it! 

Like always, more photos on my Flickr page, and thanks for reading :pir-classic:

Edited by Dorino

Splendid! That's a really great way to use all the island parts and make them into something that work without the ship.  I went the other way with my copy ... scrapped virtually the entire island in order to build a better gun deck inside the ship.  Gonna go over to Flickr right now and fave this so I can find it again whenever I feel like rebuilding the island.

This is amazing! I might actually take inspiration of this build when I build my set. It then allows to set up a whole scene to display instead of just the ship. Thanks for sharing!

That's a lovely alternative build you've come with.

It's a good exercise to build with part limitation... I like to do it sometimes myself too. I should really try it when I'll get my set...

Thanks for sharing your alternate model of the "leftover bay"! :pir-blush:

I also bought the set mainly because of the ship. The "leftover bay" is currently stored in a box. I will try to convert it with your template.

Thanks for kind words! 

@icm feel free to show your modifications, i am also interested in modding the ship!

While taking photos yesterday i completely forgot to take photos of it with the ship! Here they are

20200420_082834

20200420_083127

Very nice build and rebuild of the island. It's true that everybody love the ship but ok I think we can do thinks with this island. Well done 

@Dorino, here are some cell phone pictures of the modded Barracuda.  Just some simple mods that use only parts from the set, but it's surprising how much of the island had to go in order to lay a floor for the gun deck.  To me, that makes it more believable that all the accessory structures in the island build were put together using spare lumber and replacement masts carried in the ship's hold, below the gun deck where we never see it because for Lego ships everything below the gun deck is hammerspace.

Simple 21322 mods

@Dorino i just finished the build and converted to full ship, also now i am looking at the Island and feeling it a bit lacking - your idea is something that i really thought of (but i do have some lego city sets too from which i might be able to make an 17th/18th century style "Carribean Mansion")

Any chance you decide to publish instructions for your build ?

Thanks everyone for the comments! It was fun while it lasted. I actually sold the set and will pick it up once things get better around the world.

@Jasseji Sadly, no. In fact it was scrapped right after to try something bigger and then something smaller but more detailed.

My whole focus is now on the last project.

The build is fairly simple, there is more photos on my flickr page. And since amount of parts is limited you should be able to reverse engineer it.

Edited by Dorino

Late to the party, but I really like this MOD, may try to re-create it next time

I’m down to recreate this MOD also, always found it interesting what’s possible with the island when the ship is assembled!!!