Sign in to follow this  
Brooxy85

Lego cleaning

What way do people find is the best way to clean Lego in bulk? I've recently purchased a set from Ebay. Obviously I could clean parts individually, but being quite a big technic set, thats a bit long winded. Any suggestions?

Thanks 

My experience is limited but I just went through this. I did it by putting the Lego in a large fine mesh bag and filling up the bathtub with some dish soap. I let them soak a while and then shook the bag a bunch in the tub to agitate them. I used the shower to rinse them and then after letting the water drain from the bag spread them out on the floor in the spare bedroom and put a fan on so they could dry. Worked pretty well for all but the few really dirty pieces. I soaked those in a sink with dish soap and used a tooth brush to clean them.

Lego with stickers I just wiped with a damp rag.

Edited by MasterTyvokka

I've cleaned a lot of my old sets from when I was a child.  Had to go through the painstaking process of scrubbing them with a toothbrush because there was a lot of stubborn dust and finger oil stuck to them, which wouldn't come out just by soaking in soapy water.  

Some LEGO can be cleaned just by soaking in soap suds.  Others will require more attention.  If you have to scrub a very large set, consider dividing the set into lots and scrub one lot/day.  That makes it a lot less tiresome and boring than doing it all at one time.

It is recommended to not let the bricks get above 40°C (104°F) when washing, or they can come out of their tolerances.  Harsh cleaners like bleach are likewise not recommended.  I usually wash in slightly warm (35°C) water with some 3% hydrogen peroxide for sterilization, with a few drops of dish soap.  If you have oils or dirt caked on, as @hagridshut mentions, it helps to scrub them with a soft bristled brush first.  I then strain the pieces, rinse with filtered water to remove any hardness, and let dry spread out on a tray.  If you have a fan blowing on them, it speeds up the process, as does a large salad spinner.

Just coming out of the dark ages, I decided to rescue my old lego sets and picked them up at my fathers house.
Started cleaning them brick by brick and they do look lovely again (do use the hydrogen peroxide method on white and grey bricks as well).

The bricks do tend to feel a little sticky after cleaning them with some dish soap, is that something you would recognize?
I clean them with a toothbrush in soapy warm water, move them into clear water and then rinse them off before put them down to air dry.