Hi guys,

as I am around 90% through with my build, I'd like to present a MOC of a Mazda MX5 for TC18. I always liked the Mazda MX5, especially the newest version in white (2015 - today), so I gave it a try. I did not focus on a sophisticated drivetrain or steering, but make it a truly convertable with foldable roof, which is the main feature. I can be controlled with the HOG gear and 5L axle with end stop, which can be pulled out and placed two holes right of the center position, where it then actuates a worm gear driving the 8 tooth gear of the mechanism (see bottom pic, gear highlighted in blue). The cover is just pushed open by the folding roof. Retraction goes the same way. The mechanism worked well with a mockup, now I am waiting for my ordered parts to try it fully assembled.

Other features are:

- Steering (HOG and working cabin steering wheel)

- Small fake inline 4-cylinder-engine connected to a newer diff from the 42109

- Openable doors, hood and trunk

I am still working on the front, maybe I change the hood completely for this. Just couldn't find a nice looking solution so far. Here are some pics of the car and the mechanism of the roof:

Zu.png

Zu-R-ckansicht.png

Verdeck.png

Offen.png

Mechanismus.png

I'm more of a NA series (first generation with pop up headlights) but  a NC is a cool car with the hard retracting roof. Be nice to see this finished 

I dont see NCs often, so im not sure how those are proportion wise, but in my head an MX-5 has a significantly longer nose than trunk, the proportions on this suggest porsche boxster to me (famous for looking pretty much the same from front and back)

Having built quite a few convertible roofs in the past years I know how hard it is to get them working while keeping them compact. So well done. But I have to agree with @Jurss and @vectormatic that the proportions are a bit off for an MX5.

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

@brickless_kiwi & @vectormatic the current generation of MX5 is the ND.

@Jundis it looks good so far, can you make the rear shorter by moving the cabin back a bit. If you look at the real car the boot / trunk is very short and the cabin sits closer to the back of the car.

having test driven an ND I’d buy one if I didn’t have my NA :) 

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

@brickless_kiwi & @vectormatic the current generation of MX5 is the ND.

@Jundis it looks good so far, can you make the rear shorter by moving the cabin back a bit. If you look at the real car the boot / trunk is very short and the cabin sits closer to the back of the car.

having test driven an ND I’d buy one if I didn’t have my NA :) 

Here is a good bit of trivia. What one component is used on the Na nb and nc.

And yes the current generation is the nd which goes very well but my na is a scream to drive.

@Jundis the bum is to big and the a pillar needs to go back.  Serial has a very good scaler that would give you an idea of proportions 

Thanks @all for the suggestions!

@brickless_kiwi : Just checked again, you  are right. The biggest problem really is the A-pillar here, which I will try to set backwards 3 studs. Also the cabin needs to be place backwards 1 stud. Can't move it back more because then the roof would be too far back. But the backend actually is that big in the ND series ;-)

Vergleich.png

*EDIT: Now I realised I did two mistakes with the A-pillar: For once, I just measured the angle of the Connector #5 without thinking about it while it's turned, lowering the angle even more and second I somehow used the windshield and not the A-pllar for reference :ugh:

Edited by Jundis

So much MX5 lovers here, whoa :D

Back to the MOC: The main problem is shifting the A-pillars backwards and get a fitting angle and height to match the roof. I really like the usage of the panel as the front desk and would have to change it to fit in the A-pillars.

I am still waiting for many parts to complete at least the current build. I even consider just calling it a "Convertable" and ditch the aim to recreate the MX5 :-/

Finally all the parts arrived and I did a quick test with the roof mechanism first. Works as intended :-)