Sign in to follow this  
BeO

[MOC] TIE DReI

This is a very early TIE Fighter model, the TIE DReI. Seen here in the colours used by the infamous sith lord Bha-Ron the Red. 

49793705752_0241243b21_c.jpg
49792854043_b587651655_c.jpg
49793705687_8e66d6059b_c.jpg

49792853953_20e15aba80_c.jpg
49792854288_58f2d616d4_c.jpg
49793705977_9692a97b68_c.jpg
49792853938_69d23ffc77_c.jpg
49793705582_1a1073ecf0_c.jpg
49793705837_601cc99f19_c.jpg

(this is what happens when someone asks me what mix between a TIE Fighter and the Red Baron's Fokker Dr.I would look like)

Of course they are disturbing, we're talking about a sith lord :wink: 

But seriously, they are there as a reference to both the red Fokker Dr.I von Richthofen flew, but also Legos original Red Baron set, 10024. https://brickset.com/sets/10024-1/Red-Baron I'm not in any way sympathizing with the powers behind the german war effort. This is just a mix between a famous historic triplane and a fantasy vehicle and should not be taken seriously in any way, and it's definitely not made to offend anyone. 

9 hours ago, BeO said:

But seriously, they are there as a reference to both the red Fokker Dr.I von Richthofen flew, but also Legos original Red Baron set, 10024. https://brickset.com/sets/10024-1/Red-Baron I'm not in any way sympathizing with the powers behind the german war effort. This is just a mix between a famous historic triplane and a fantasy vehicle and should not be taken seriously in any way, and it's definitely not made to offend anyone. 

I think @AndrewShun was just referring to the back of the cockpit where it's white with a black design. I didn't mean to accuse you of sympathizing with any german war powers, (and it's a great model), just suggesting you may want to swap out the white on the engine.

It also is a genius mashup, I didn't know lego made a red baron set!

13 hours ago, BeO said:

Structurally - maybe, but colour-wise - nope. On the contrary, greater resemblance to NSDAP insignia than to those of Deutschen Reich is striking.

Edited by AndrewShun

5 minutes ago, AndrewShun said:

Structurally - maybe, but colour-wise - nope. On the contrary, greater resemblance to NSDAP symbolics than those of Deutschen Reich is striking.

What?

39 minutes ago, AndrewShun said:

Structurally - maybe, but colour-wise - nope. On the contrary, greater resemblance to NSDAP symbolics than those of Deutschen Reich is striking.

It might make sense to alter the back cockpit a bit, but I really don't think it's that big of a deal and it's clearly not supposed to look like that.

Just now, m4st3rt3ch said:

I was just flabbergasted by the utter nonsense you wrote.

Not sure what you are talking about, I've edited the reply since then. It might have looked grammatically incorrect, for that I apologize.

23 hours ago, AndrewShun said:

greater resemblance to NSDAP insignia than to those of Deutschen Reich is striking.

It resembles an iron cross.

1 hour ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

It resembles an iron cross.

I can see how one could see both, but it really does look much more like the iron cross. It's just a MOC anyway, and a pretty funny mashup at that.

Gentlemen, gentlemen... isn't the Empire just Nazis in Space? :laugh:

That said, it's clearly meant to be more of an iron cross, though the Third Reich insignia could be construed as an alteration of said cross. In either case, the MOC itself looks quite nice, and considering the historical significance of the mash-up, any unfortunate resemblance is simply the cost of creative freedom. :wink:

I make a MOC and there's a storm brewing in the teacup, fascinating :) 

First of all, we're talking about a WWI aircraft, produced somewhere between 1917 and 1918. Fascism wasn't a thing yet.

Second point, von Richthofen painted his aircraft red because he felt like it. Really. Read up on it. Fascism still wasn't a thing, not even in Italy.

Third point, the black cross (not iron cross, two different things) was in use on German aircraft (and other military vehicles) pretty much up until West and East Germany realised the silliness of being a divided country and finally united again. That's some 30 years ago. Nothing fascist about that.

Fourth point, and a bit more serious. If you let some backwater inbred group of people decide what is and what isn't allowed to use (in this case, red/white/black in combination) they're making an impact on regular society, something they really want to do. And we don't want them to do that. Some other gaggle of racist idiots use old norse runes as their symbols. Should I just give up an important part of my nordic history, just because they think runes look kewl on their flags? Nope, not me. I decide what I want to use, and I don't intend to let groups of mentally and morally challenged bell-ends stop me. Neither should you :) 

A small edit: I made a more... Friendsly... version that perhaps won't cause such a ruckus. It's even got a friggin' dolphin on top of it!

49806884841_719292e82d_c.jpg

(It's a joke!)

Edited by BeO

5 hours ago, BeO said:

I make a MOC and there's a storm brewing in the teacup, fascinating :) 

First of all, we're talking about a WWI aircraft, produced somewhere between 1917 and 1918. Fascism wasn't a thing yet.

Second point, von Richthofen painted his aircraft red because he felt like it. Really. Read up on it. Fascism still wasn't a thing, not even in Italy.

Third point, the black cross (not iron cross, two different things) was in use on German aircraft (and other military vehicles) pretty much up until West and East Germany realised the silliness of being a divided country and finally united again. That's some 30 years ago. Nothing fascist about that.

Fourth point, and a bit more serious. If you let some backwater inbred group of people decide what is and what isn't allowed to use (in this case, red/white/black in combination) they're making an impact on regular society, something they really want to do. And we don't want them to do that. Some other gaggle of racist idiots use old norse runes as their symbols. Should I just give up an important part of my nordic history, just because they think runes look kewl on their flags? Nope, not me. I decide what I want to use, and I don't intend to let groups of mentally and morally challenged bell-ends stop me. Neither should you :) 

(It's a joke!)

This is a great point just in general, and even more so when you realize it's about a lego MOC.

I'm sorry to see that the friends empire has taken the baron's personal starfighter. :laugh:

5 hours ago, BeO said:

1. We're talking about your MOC.

2. Right, Richthofen painted his aircraft red, and you decided to go with Nazi colour combination cause why not

3. We're not talking about the cross. Also that part about 'the silliness' can tell you're a quite learned man.

4. There is no "your" history.

15 minutes ago, AndrewShun said:

1. We're talking about your MOC.

2. Right, Richthofen painted his aircraft red, and you decided to go with Nazi colour combination cause why not

3. We're not talking about the cross. Also that part about 'the silliness' can tell you're a quite learned man.

4. There is no "your" history.

It's kind of pointless to be offended at the "Nazi colors" because seriously, it's a part of history. Censoring history because of a few bad eggs isn't very fruitful, as learning from the terrors of the past can help future generations avoid them. Plus, the real aircraft did have the black crosses, (not hakenkruezes) and I don't know about you, but a cross and a swastika have two different shapes.

Red Baron was Red, Black, and White, with the white being the background for the black cross. Perhaps it would make more sense for the MOC to have Imperial cogs instead, as it's a TIE Fighter, but honestly, creative expression should not be hindered.

Point being, at the end of it all, these are the colors of the Red Baron, this was the symbol on the Red Baron. If you're upset about a fictionalized Red Baron staying true to its roots, then maybe just admit it isn't for you and move on. There isn't anything "Nazi" about the colors Red, Black, and White, nor is there anything Nazi about pre-WWII flags and insignia. The Baron flew during World War I, back when Hitler was just an Infantryman. The Nazis wouldn't be a thing for at least another decade or so.

Personally, I find it a brilliant mashup of designs, as so much of what we love about Star Wars was inspired by the World Wars.

Yeah, it's funny, and as @ARC2149Nova says a good mashup of designs. Were it a swastika on the back, this might be a different conversation, but it's the iron cross, a symbol from ww1 that was on the actual ship.

I also really like the PC version with the smiling people and dolphin.

Has anyone said a single word about being offended? I haven't written much yet you guys are either intentionally misreading the point or just clumsily switching topics from one to another.

Edited by AndrewShun