mzzl88

problems with the power functions

Hello everybody, currently building the Claas Xerion with my son again. Just up to the moment of building the battery box in the model and test the servo motor. The battery's that are used are brand new and the green LED on the box is burning bright. When I connect the servo motor to the box nothing happens...I just tried it with another motor but still no results. 

Are the motors broken or did I just missed something..? 

Just now, Zerobricks said:

Claas Xerions uses an M motor, not a servo?

you're right, it uses an M motor. But the problems remain the same

40 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Try a new battery box.

just tried 3 of them...still nothing 

Check the male contacts on the battery box, ease them out a bit using a needle tip

Edited by Doug72

Do you have a multimeter? If you have, measure the voltage of the battery box, and the impedance of the motor. The motor might be shorted, or there might be something wrong with the connection of the motor itself. There is also a small noise Capacitor on the motor that might short out.

-ED-

4 hours ago, mzzl88 said:

you're right, it uses an M motor. But the problems remain the same

Did you test the M motor with your other spare battery boxes?   I think the servo motor requires a PWM control signal to work. 

What make of batteries are you using. If Duracell they can cause problems.

Edited by Doug72

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Wait, what?

Put Duracell into the search box and see all the past posts about the probem wiith Duracell batteries.

The most common problem I have had with motors (Many, Many times), has been having the insulation around the wires wear down either where it enters the plug or the motor. This will cause the motor to work while the wire is in some positions, but not while it is in other positions. The way I have fixed several of them is to open up the motor, detach the leads of the wire to the motor, cut off the worn section of the wire, and put it back together. If this is your problem, and you are comfortable with both soldering and having a shorter wire (It may not work in that particular set with a shorter wire, I don't know), this should work. This tutorial video walks you through the process: 

On 4/20/2020 at 12:15 AM, 2GodBDGlory said:

The most common problem I have had with motors (Many, Many times), has been having the insulation around the wires wear down either where it enters the plug or the motor. This will cause the motor to work while the wire is in some positions, but not while it is in other positions. The way I have fixed several of them is to open up the motor, detach the leads of the wire to the motor, cut off the worn section of the wire, and put it back together. If this is your problem, and you are comfortable with both soldering and having a shorter wire (It may not work in that particular set with a shorter wire, I don't know), this should work. This tutorial video walks you through the process: 

thanx for the video, I will also try to contact the TLG for a solution. it is odd that the motor and battery boxes suddenly die..

That's the one only issue I don't like about the Lego Power Functions cables..  I Bought a brand new PF large Lego motor just recently and my first run across the back yard on..,  the battery pack bounced off the chassis and yank a few motors off the chassis and my Large pf motor, the cable got entangled around the differential and I carefully pulled out the cable and where the 20 tooth gear and the 28 tooth on the diff left their bite marks across the cable.  If your lucky , you can pinch it the PF cable as you have it plugged in and turned on.Start from one end of the pf cable and use your fingers and follow the cable and smooth it out on the table and you might get lucky and you'll find  the damage on the cable..  

I am the opposite.  I haven't had any damaged PF cables but burned out a number of PF motors from running GBCs.  A multimeter is a good investment for diagnosing problems.  You can use for checking voltages and continuity.

The cable from burned out motors can be reused to make PF adapter cables for electronic projects and other stuff. 

motor_shield.jpg