Harkonen

Horror/Spooky Themes

12 hours ago, Harkonen said:

The lava monsters from Nexo Knights were demons, I'm sure Lego could get away with zombie apocalypse. 

What I meant to say is that zombies are more gory than your usual monster in Lego form.I have a hard time imagining a theme full of blood covered zombies.

Edited by LOTR34

15 hours ago, LOTR34 said:
23 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Ya know, would an in-house Zombie Apocalypse theme count as a "Horror/Spooky" theme, or would it be more thought as just an Action theme? :shrug_confused:

I know we had zombies in Lego form in the past but isn't a full on zombie theme a bit too much for Lego standards?

Perhaps, hence why I suggested that such a theme might go with "curable" zombies rather than undead corpses, though you could say that's pretty much what Hidden Side's already done with its possessed denizens.

5 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Perhaps, hence why I suggested that such a theme might go with "curable" zombies rather than undead corpses, though you could say that's pretty much what Hidden Side's already done with its possessed denizens.

And Minecraft can cure zombie villagers with golden apples, they just haven't done that in a single set yet :shrug_oh_well: , the 2016 set came close with the red apple, villager and zombie villager. 

Of course LEGO Zombies could be cartoonish as well like they already did with something like the Cheerleader zombie.

And I agree Hidden Side does add multiple heads for most of their possesed characters so it is already a theme where zombies can turn normal again. (by zapping them with whatever devices those vehicles have on them)

Edited by TeriXeri

I find interesting that some years TLG pretty much ignores Halloween, but in some cases they double down the releases

It happened in 2015 with Scooby Doo and CMF Series 14

And this year with Hidden Side and the Creator Haunted House

I dont get why they release sets that overlap with each other this much.

I'm not sure myself about getting the HS castle anymore, cause the Haunted House looks great

On 4/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, LOTR34 said:

I know we had zombies in Lego form in the past but isn't a full on zombie theme a bit too much for Lego standards?

the monster fighters zombie set was pretty gothic. Maybe they'd be more reluctant to do a modern Walking Dead take on it.

1 hour ago, corasaur said:

the monster fighters zombie set was pretty gothic. Maybe they'd be more reluctant to do a modern Walking Dead take on it.

I'd rather have a zombie theme based on that MF set rather than have a theme based on WD.Modern zombie settings are dreadfully boring.

3 hours ago, LOTR34 said:

I'd rather have a zombie theme based on that MF set rather than have a theme based on WD.Modern zombie settings are dreadfully boring.

Shaun of the Dead? :wink:

I agree though, the MF zombies were just really fun.

Taking of zombies, I'm surprised TLG haven't picked up the license for Plants v Zombies. I saw some knex blind bag figs a while back.

Edited by Lucarex

2 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Shaun of the Dead? :wink:

I agree though, the MF zombies were just really fun.

I heard about this movie but never saw it.

You know all this talk about potential zombie themes made me think it would be a great idea to have a theme based on the movie "Army of Darkness".Just swap the skeletons with zombies and you have a spooky medieval zombie theme.

Edited by LOTR34

On 5/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, Robert8 said:

I find interesting that some years TLG pretty much ignores Halloween, but in some cases they double down the releases

It happened in 2015 with Scooby Doo and CMF Series 14

And this year with Hidden Side and the Creator Haunted House

I dont get why they release sets that overlap with each other this much.

I'm not sure myself about getting the HS castle anymore, cause the Haunted House looks great

They are also releasing *2* pirate ships this year that both officially convert into a structure/hideout/pirate base after many years without a pirate ship at all.

Indeed, you'd think they would have figured out how to space this stuff out a little bit better by now.

The new Ninjago wave (only the big set I think) has finally nicely molded skulls. Not sure if you can use them as Minifig heads tho. They would go very well in any spooky theme.

Also, for a Universal IP, they could go the old LEGO Studios route, and have the "Monsters" on Film sets and stages and such, with cameras, actors, lighting, the whole shebang.

Personally I'd love to see TLG revive the castle theme, ideally with a spooky sub-theme, That's why I love the Hidden Side castle and will definitely get it.

cheers

Someone mentioned this in the Ninjago thread, but a Kaiju theme would be great (though I guess it’s debatable whether that counts as horror or not). Could have each monster based around different geographical areas to allow for wide variance even in one wave. Ex. one could be an aquatic kaiju while another could be arctic.

I just wish Lego would return to making seasonal vignette sets (instead of Brickheadz :sceptic:). The Halloween themed sets are some of my favorites. 

On 4/19/2020 at 1:12 PM, UberCorp said:

More supernatural than horror, but I'd love a spiritual successor to Monster Fighters that focuses on cryptids. Same kinda style/era as Monster Fighters but instead focuses on the main characters trying to capture/prove the existence of cryptids. Could include stuff like Mothman, the Loch Ness Monster, the chupacabra, ect. represented by a combination of minifigs and brick-built/large molded creatures depending on sizes.

This. I literally came to this forum just to pitch an idea like this. The protagonists I could care less about, but figures of the Mothman, Flatwoods Monster, Yeti, and so forth would be awesome. Even the Jersey Devil or Dover Demon would be welcome, even if there's a hangup with the names.

On 5/27/2020 at 2:33 PM, BPK2300 said:

I just wish Lego would return to making seasonal vignette sets (instead of Brickheadz :sceptic:). The Halloween themed sets are some of my favorites. 

100% agree here, I started collecting City/Creator late 2018 so missed most of the 2011-2017 seasonal vignette sets.

Easter Bunny with the scooter/chicken was a decent one for 2020 but it's small.

And LEGO at least made the Thanksgiving 2017 set available again in 2019, but I hope they make new ones.

I don't collect Brickheadz.

Edited by TeriXeri

A new Halloween set appeared, so LEGO is making more seasonal sets with minifigures again (after the smaller easter bunny chicken/scooter set earlier this year)

40423-1: Halloween Hayride

https://brickset.com/sets/40423-1/Halloween-Hayride

Based on the box art, this could be a directly sold set at LEGO.com. (same box art style as the 2020 Birthday or Trophy sets which cost £11.99 / $12.99 / 12.99€ )

tn_40423_alt1_jpg.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

HS ending is a shame, but that's not the point of this thread. I guess we won't get somethign similar soon - there seems to be some rotation of themes going on over different series.

Having said that, I would absolutely love more "horror" themed sets and minifigs. The seasonal sets for Halloween are a start, but they are one set max per year, and pretty small (still better than nothing!). Something bigger and/or more regular would be great. One can but hope...

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

But I do wonder if they'd try "black and white" sets

That would be cool

A set in black and white (and grey obviously) for Addams Family would be cool. How many shades of grey are in the current parts catalogue? With some creative use of those it could be a visually stunning piece - and that steamboat set for Mickey Mouse shows that the concept is not impossible to do.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:41 AM, ARC2149Nova said:

This. I literally came to this forum just to pitch an idea like this. The protagonists I could care less about, but figures of the Mothman, Flatwoods Monster, Yeti, and so forth would be awesome. Even the Jersey Devil or Dover Demon would be welcome, even if there's a hangup with the names.

I've always been interested in cryptids, they're conspiracies more spooky and fun than some of the more depressing (albeit more realistic) stuff. A figure based on something like mothman or the jersey devil would be amazing!
Maybe to lego-fy it the focus could be on catching them for study.

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

But I do wonder if they'd try "black and white" sets

That would be cool

I doubt black and white sets would appeal to kids, though. 

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

I doubt black and white sets would appeal to kids, though. 

Yeah my thoughts exactly.If we ever get a black and white set it'll be probably a D2C set.

A Universal Monsters theme would be nice, although many of the minifigures have been done already as unlicensed versions. Unless the prints are improved somewhat, then the monster minifigures might be less attractive for anyone that already has all the CMF and MF versions. If unlicensed, then the fleshie versions of humans might be more interesting than the humans in MF.

The Frankenstein Brickheadz is awesome, I just saw it for the first time today.  Never bought any Brickheadz but this might be my first.  Really hoping that we get more Universal Monsters sets, those monsters/characters are some of my favorite ever.  A CMF series with Frankenstein, Dracula, the Bride of Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein, Invisible Man (Using the Rey head cover piece from the TFA speeder), the Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Wolfman, the Mummy, Phantom of the Opera, and then some other characters, like Igor, Dr. Frankenstein, etc (maybe even Abbot and Costello :laugh:).

Is this thread for general (in-house and licensed)?

anyways, Halloween season is owing up. I kinda hope that Monster Fighters, Hidden Side or Scooby Doo themes make their comeback… A new spooky in-house theme would do better.

and also I hope that TLG will do a new Halloween-themed set annually, similiar to the Christmas-themed Winter Village collection! For example… A Halloween-decorated house is crowded with trick-or-treaters. Or a store that sells costumes. Or a ghostly train at the mortal station.