Patgeo

Shinkansen JR800 - "Sakura" (Tsubame) [MOC]

This is my LEGO version of the Kyushu Line JR800 Shinkansen, made of 5.959 pieces, having a length of 2,74m (9ft) and weights 4,302kg (9.484 pounds) in total and is my first train MOC.

The 800 Series, designed by Mr. Eiji Mitooka, is considered the only "Japanese" shinkansen as it's concept represents the beauty of Japanese arts and crafts, and has two engines and four wagons.

The train went in service in 2009 and is considered the second fastest of the 3 JR Kyushu types of Shinkansen services (the rest are Mizuho and Tsubame, from the fastest to slowest).

Update 09.05.22 (The Previous Content can be found within the hidden content area, at the bottom of this post)

52059804190_236f249d7c_c.jpg

52058278697_1a7ce20147_c.jpg

You can find more pictures on my FlickR and enjoy it on the following video;

Spoiler

In order to better adjust the nose and the locomotives of the model, I went to 8 studs wide. This, gave me the required width and length in order to better repesent all the difficult curves of the nose.

With this scale (8 studs wide), I was able to include interion as well so, I made two wagons as 3rd class, one as 2nd class, and one as 1st class, like the original train. The locomotives, don't have any empty space in within, as they host 2 pf battery boxes, for the two pf motors that each one carries.

Below, you will find all the relevant pictures of its current condition.

maxres10.jpg

50984932031_079f9a063b_b.jpg

Shinkansen JR 800 - Digital Train Model - Locomotive

50984226868_b0f7c3a351_b.jpg

Shinkansen JR 800 -  Digital Train Model

50985046452_fcbeb9213f_b.jpg

Shinkansen JR 800 -  Digital Train Model - Close Nose View

50985045517_4e3743bd45_b.jpg

Shinkansen JR 800 -  Digital Train Model - Wagon (A Class Interior)

I also made a dummy train to chech out how it works on LEGO tracks, and surprizing it's doin really well. Currently, I am collecting the required pieces to make it for real.

You can find more pictures in my FlickR account.

I will be happy to answer any of your questions or comments.

In the spoiler that follows, you can find the original post and the previous updates, for comparison.

Spoiler

In order to adapt as much as details as I could to the nose, I made my model 7 stud wide, despite the dificulties that I faced. 

All comments will be much appriciated.

maxres10.jpg

shinka14.jpg

Below you can see my dummy train test run.

Update 02/05/20: I managed to complete the digital model, and I designed two types of the pantograph. The seccond one, I believe is closer to the original. Unfortunately, i wanted to built also the interior, but there is not enough space, so i am thinking of trying to see the outcome in 8 stud wide, although the length will become bigger.

I hope you like it!

shinka15.jpg

shinka16.jpg

shinka17.jpg

shinka18.jpg

shinka19.jpg

shinka21.jpg

shinka22.jpg

shinka20.jpg

shinka23.jpg

shinka24.jpg

power_10.jpg

shinka26.jpg

shinka25.jpg

Edited by Patgeo
Spelling Correction

11 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Wow, it's impressive how the model is fast! :wub:

Thank you for your comment. 

As Shinkansens are some of the fastest trains in the planet, I wanted to incorporate this characteristic in my model, so for the moment there are two pf train motors, one in each end of the locomotive.

Hopefully the speed will remain after I complete the whole model by adding 4 extra wagons.

I would only add 2 (or maximum 3) extra wagons in order not to lose beauty in the shapes but to lower the weight of the moving masses.

My high-speed trains despite having only 4 modules are still elegant

frecciarossa1000-14.jpg

Really nice creations. Both of them are very detailed and well recreated!

I have also thought of the lower weight issue, that might be a problem in the wagons. In the locomotives, I used the battery box to bypass it, and in the wagons i am thinking of using the Modified Brick, 2 x 6 x 2 Weight, in order to help a bit.

Of course, I will start by using two wagons, and depending on the resault, I will see if I could add some more.

edit: Ι would like to ask you if the magnets you used are strong enough to pull such weight.

Edited by Patgeo

Just now, Patgeo said:

Ι would like to ask you if the magnets you used are strong enough to pull such weight.

With this configuration the standard buffers are sufficient, in addition you also have the engine in the tail locomotive which reduces the possibility of separation.
In the case of longer trains I had used a super magnetic disk between the standard magnets to increase the coupling capacities. Look in the central convoy that silver part between the locomotive and the service cart (not easy to see ...between the magnets), that is a super magnet :wink:

93-up.jpg

Thank you very much for your reply.

I strugled a lot to find out an easy way to couple my locomotives without using the standard buffers as I thought that they would be insufficient. In the end, I used some technic parts to achieve the best result.

joint10.jpg

What a great start. It looks like the windows on the prototype are closer together than your MOC, I think you have one window every 3 studs, maybe try it with one window ever two studs? Just be careful, you're likely to find yourself wanting wide radius curves (grin)

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

What a great start. It looks like the windows on the prototype are closer together than your MOC, I think you have one window every 3 studs, maybe try it with one window ever two studs? Just be careful, you're likely to find yourself wanting wide radius curves (grin)

Thank you for your comments! I have also spotted the windows issue, and I will try to amend it! Regarding the curves, I am lucky enough and I have no problems as seen in the video in the fisrt post.

21 hours ago, Patgeo said:

Regarding the curves, I am lucky enough and I have no problems

Ha ha, I said "wanting" not "needing" after I built my first long cars I was in deep want of large radius curves even though the train could handle R40's. Though As the train gets longer you might start experiencing drag, so maybe only build one or two cars at a time so you do not wind up with too much train for R40 curves

:laugh: I didn't notice. That's completly true, I sadly believe! I'm in search for some tracks just in case they are needed.

Also, I tried to use some gears to make it go faster, but I had no luck, as the torge is high enough, as it is the weight of the locomotive but the outcome is slow.

Following up my original post, I would like to inform you that I managed to complete in studio the whole train and I updated the photos on the main post. I created two types of the pantograph, and I ended up with the seccond version, after seeing closer pictures of the actual one. I also wanted to put some interior, but there is not enough space inside. I am thinking to design it at 8 stud wide, although each wagon will get to be longer, and I will probably experiment with it. I hope you like the outcome.

I saw your videos on YouTube! It's good to now have the background story. :laugh:

I love how you've done the doors! The vertical tile on either side is very effective.

For the nose, me personally I'd try to minimise the number of different curved bricks in use. You have a section where there's a new brick profile every stud, it can make it look a bit jagged.

But yes great work, it would be awesome to see a beautiful 800 series out there.

That's impressive! Quite the shape for a first train MOC but well done.

15 hours ago, Beej said:

I saw your videos on YouTube! It's good to now have the background story. :laugh:

I love how you've done the doors! The vertical tile on either side is very effective.

For the nose, me personally I'd try to minimise the number of different curved bricks in use. You have a section where there's a new brick profile every stud, it can make it look a bit jagged.

But yes great work, it would be awesome to see a beautiful 800 series out there.

Thank you for your kind comments Beej.

Regarding the doors, I wanted to do something that made clear that there was a door, and that's how I came up with that idea. I'm glad you like it!

I also agree with the jagged section that you are referring and this what I try to overcome right now. Its very tricky to achieve something that looks appealing.  

8 hours ago, Duq said:

That's impressive! Quite the shape for a first train MOC but well done.

Thank you very much Dug!

Interesting.  You could put motors in the middle wagon cars such as in the real shinkansen.  Also regarding curves, have fun, yes 3rd party stuff is always the best look and quality if you want to see the min curve of your train you may need to try some flex track bent to high radii this will show you how much speed may be affected and how many motors you will need if you bump up your radii.  But I notice you have a 3rd party double crossover so you may know the quality possible beyond flex track with no FDM 3d printed stuff.

Bye Bye EveryBody

-Coal Fired

Edited by Coal Fired Bricks

35 minutes ago, Coal Fired Bricks said:

Interesting.  You could put motors in the middle wagon cars such as in the real shinkansen.  Also regarding curves, have fun, yes 3rd party stuff is always the best look and quality if you want to see the min curve of your train you may need to try some flex track bent to high radii this will show you how much speed may be affected and how many motors you will need if you bump up your radii.  But I notice you have a 3rd party double crossover so you may know the quality possible beyond flex track with no FDM 3d printed stuff.

Bye Bye EveryBody

-Coal Fired

Thank you for your comments! 

I am planning to have at least one motor in each wagon, depending on the total weight of the train, and how much speed I would be able to achieve.

All LEGO I use, are original and not third party for the moment. The double crossover used, is the 7996-1 set back from 2007!

Edited by Patgeo

14 minutes ago, Patgeo said:

All LEGO I use, are original and not third party for the moment. The double crossover used, is the 7996-1 set back from 2007!

I was only 5 back then. I remember it loosely but I should've known by the bad design. 

Bye Bye EveryBody

-Coal Fired

I am sorry to bring up such an old topic, but I had an update to my Tsubame Shinkansen Project, and I didn't want to make a new threat.

As I explain in my original post, which I updated, I moved to 8 studs wide architecture, for better recreation of all the nose curves, and I also included interion to the wagons.

I hope you like it. Any comments are much appriciated.

Very impressive!  Also - this thread is only a year old, and you’re providing an update to your own MOC.  That’s completely justified - it’s asking a question answered many times, in an old thread (3+ years without any comments imho) that people tend to have a problem with.  This is a beautiful MOC that you should be really proud of, and due to my EB inactivity in the first half of 2020 I didn’t see this the first time around so it’s nice to see it now!  

Having seen the 6 wide version in the hidden section, I can say that you did a brilliant job on that - but this looks even better!  From a little bit of digital building myself I have also found 8 wide to be a more preferable scale, and this is evidenced in this MOC.  One of the biggest advantages in my opinion is the ability to have two parallel seats in which to put minifigures.  It does make for very long coaches though - a MOC of mine is of 85ft coaches which translates to 67 studs at 1:48.  How long are these?

Again, excellent work and good luck creating it in real bricks!

Edited by Vilhelm22

8 hours ago, Patgeo said:

I am sorry to bring up such an old topic, but I had an update to my Tsubame Shinkansen Project, and I didn't want to make a new threat.

This is really excellent work!!!

And with regard to the bump: I read once here from a >moderator<: "I have created this thread, so I can necro-bump it". It makes total sense, regardless how old the thread: Improvement means progress and that should never be an issue, bumping wise. 

Best
Thorsten

Holy cow, this is a pretty sweet train! Also kudos for showing it in action on R40 curves.

And with regard to the bump: I missed the first post, so I am glad you hit it again.

On 6/5/2021 at 10:30 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Very impressive!  Also - this thread is only a year old, and you’re providing an update to your own MOC.  That’s completely justified - it’s asking a question answered many times, in an old thread (3+ years without any comments imho) that people tend to have a problem with.  This is a beautiful MOC that you should be really proud of, and due to my EB inactivity in the first half of 2020 I didn’t see this the first time around so it’s nice to see it now!  

Having seen the 6 wide version in the hidden section, I can say that you did a brilliant job on that - but this looks even better!  From a little bit of digital building myself I have also found 8 wide to be a more preferable scale, and this is evidenced in this MOC.  One of the biggest advantages in my opinion is the ability to have two parallel seats in which to put minifigures.  It does make for very long coaches though - a MOC of mine is of 85ft coaches which translates to 67 studs at 1:48.  How long are these?

Again, excellent work and good luck creating it in real bricks!

Thank you very much Vilhelm for your kind comments. The model in the hidden section, was in 7 studs wide, but even compared to that, in 8 studs wide it looks more accurate and impresive.

I also agree that in 8 studs wide architecture where you are allowed to put to rows of seats, it also make it more look alike the original.

In my model, the cocomotive is 62 studs in length, while each of the coaches are 54 studs long. So, we are takling of a train (2 locomotives and 4 coaches, like the original) of 340 studs in length meaning 2,72m or 8,92ft, in accordance to Sariel Converter.

On 6/6/2021 at 1:03 AM, Toastie said:

And with regard to the bump: I read once here from a >moderator<: "I have created this thread, so I can necro-bump it". It makes total sense, regardless how old the thread: Improvement means progress and that should never be an issue, bumping wise. 

Best
Thorsten

Thank you Thorsten for your comment!

16 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Holy cow, this is a pretty sweet train! Also kudos for showing it in action on R40 curves.

And with regard to the bump: I missed the first post, so I am glad you hit it again.

Thank you Black Knight! I'm glad you like it!

On 6/5/2021 at 6:03 PM, Toastie said:

Yes indeed, this bump is more than appropriate and the train is looking even better than ever. My only thought when I saw the post was, "where did the original go?" Since that was worthy in its own right... on my first read of the bump having missed the fact that you simply hid it,

On 6/5/2021 at 3:30 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

Having seen the 6 wide version in the hidden section,

At any rate, looking good