Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL - AMRCA] Le Terreur

Somewhere in the Great Northern Ocean, Summer 620

IMG_3614 edited

The wind blew wild, as it probably did since the beginning of time at that latitude. Despite this, the sails were still more or less intact, waving in the cold air as if they were still pushing the ship towards the horizon, something very sad to see for a sailor. In the temples, the preachers always described Tartarus as a desert of fire and flames… probably because they had never been so far in the North! 

IMG_3616 edited

It had probably been an Oleander ship, a small but elegant schooner: "Le Terreur", according to the copper plate on the stern. Surprisingly, it didn't seem fit for fishing or whaling, the only two things that people could do in those waters.

"Nobody on sight, Captain!" Yelled a sailor, trying to overcome the continuous whistle of the wind. It was midsummer, but that only meant that freezing to death was a little less likely. "This ship must be here since the last winter, or they wouldn't have abandoned it yet."

Sometimes it happened that imprudent whalers didn't leave the northern waters soon enough, and they remained trapped in the pack. When this happened, their only chance of survival was remaining on their ship, trying not to starve and hoping not to be crushed by the sheer force of drifting ice. Most often, ship and crew simply disappeared, and some whisky was poured on tavern floors in their memory.

"Probably even longer. No big thaw has occurred since the 617, probably it was trapped that year, when the long night came back again. And only Zeus knows where it happened... those blocks of ice are alive, and when they grow southward they can carry anything with them." Probably they were just high tales, but the captain remember well the stories about polar bears or whole native families that drifted on icebergs as South as Pontilla.

"But don't get distracted again, Tom! If the natives stole our boat we would be in a real mess!"

IMG_3617 edited

The captain continued: "They must have left the ship when the food started running low, but I wouldn't bet a coin on their survival. Even if they were near to the Northern Coast, they could have been at least five hundred miles far from the nearest civilized settlement. But, if they were lucky, they could still have found a native village."

"If natives didn't slit throat to them all first when the ship was trapped. Like rats in a barrel" Unsurprisingly, this comment came from Arana, the tattooed harpooner from the Unconquered Islands… probably not a nice place to visit, considering how lightly he talked about killings and violence. "Maybe there are no corpses because the natives ate them." Nobody really wanted to know why, now and then, Arana talked about cannibalism, but probably it was a reason more to avoid his motherland.

"Mmm, I don't think so… we have found some supplies, down in the hold, and everything seemed in quite good order. No, the ship wasn't sacked! Wait… I think I've found something!"

IMG_3615 edited

A little envelope of oilcloth emerged from the snow covering the deck. On the wax seal, a little crown and a Fleur de Lys flanked two crossed anchors. Every sailor in Halos would have recognized that little symbol: that unfortunate crew was on a mission for His Majesty the King himself, and for sure not for some fishing!

"Guys, the whales will be safe for a while! We must return to the motherland as soon as possible!" The sailors replied with some grunts… losing a whaling season could mean hunger, but the captain usually knew what he did. For sure, that little envelope jingled as if it contained some shiny, glittering doubloons... handling it intact to a crown officer, however, could be even more remunerative!

IMG_3612 edited

This is a little anticipation of my AMRCA, which will probably be frozen (sorry for the bad pun) until the end of the challenge! It will start with the search for a lost expedition, somewhere in the icy North!

Spoiler

The build without filters

IMG_3619

Edited by Keymonus
Arrgh, a half of my precious text is lost for some mysteryous reason!!!

Great job capturing a wintry feel here.  The tan and black really go well with the snow.

Yes! Ever since you first talked about this MOC, I've been dying to see it published. Very cool! I'm very curious to see where the story goes. If it's somewhat based on real life (or the fictive version of real events), it's bound to be good. I love a good mystery.

The build itself is great. The way the ship is stuck in the ice looks realistic, plus all the snow and ice on the sides. I'd suggest your crew to dress a bit warmer though, there's only one guy with a sweater and one with a scarf. Arana's gonna freeze to death walking around like that :laugh:.

30 minutes ago, Khorne said:

Arana's gonna freeze to death walking around like that :laugh:.

No, since he covers himself with grease of unknown origin! :pir_laugh2: In truth I planned to wait until the end of May (I know it is still cold, but a little bit less cold!), then I decided to publish it now, with a lot of (unwanted) free time!

Thank you guys for the nice comments! The starting point is something similar to the lost expedition of Terror and Erebus, then I'll see where things will go! In the meantime, just to be sure, I'm waiting for some Inuit minifigs and a white bear from bricklink, just in case! 

Really like the atmosphere of the desolate ice-lands, especially the nice tough with the translucent piece showing the water underneath :classic:

27 minutes ago, Ross Fisher said:

I really like it. Is this a follow-up from the Ice King mini-challenge?

Well, probably I started that in a completely wrong period, maybe I'll re-try in the future on a lower scale! Apart from the low temperature, however, there is no connection between the storylines

I love this and how perfectly suited it is to the time-period (or very nearly, anyways :grin:) and yet how original it is for BoBS and Lego ships in general! :wub:  And as the others have said, the execution is fantastic as well, with the snow piled up on board and around the edges; and the color-scheme contributes perfectly to the chilly feel as well.

Even the stark sails look like they've been waving for some time in the frigid temperatures :pir-sweet: :pir-grin:

Some nice shots here, especially the one take from the stern, and ofc, nice ship.

Spoiler

Previous parts of the story:

Rising through the ranks

Rimbaud's Raiders

In the wide blue sea

The Pearl of the South

Something worth dying for

We are all gone

In Extremis

This post represents a sort of crossover between my current main storyline, reported here, and the AMRCA, involving a secondary character

Colonial Admiralty of Breshaun, July 620, Le Bellan

Lieutenant Jean-Luc Norbert walked along the main street of Breshaun, trying to remain as much as possible in the shade of the luxurious palaces. He couldn't help but notice how much the settlement had grown since his first visit, several years ago... but, since then, several things had changed, and a whole new world had been discovered. Maybe he would have had some time to visit the wonders of the city, such as the Poseidon Garden, later... Now, he had far more important things to do.

IMG_3963

When he arrived at the Colonial Admiralty, he was immediately directed to the office of Colonel Artaud. He didn't know exactly what to expect, but the letter waiting for him in Weelond and the lack of queueing suggested something very important, and probably quite a rip-off for him!

He pulled him together, knocked on the door, and entered... just to find out that another officer was still presenting his report. "Sir, Colonel Artaud... I'm sorry to interrupt you! I was told you were waiting for me, but I'll return later." -said Lieutenant Norbert with embarrassment.

"Forgive us, Lieutenant... our meeting took a little longer than expected! General Rimbaud was reporting to me about the situation on El Oleonda. You can remain if you want... after all, you played a role in this story too, bringing his dispatches from Fatu Hiva to Lavalette. Tristan, please, go on." Colonel Artaud had theoretically a lower rank than General Rimbaud, but his role in the Colonial Intelligence made him one of the most powerful men in the whole New World.

IMG_3960

Tristan Rimbaud greeted the Lieutenant with a nod and continued: "As I was saying, the operation was completed as planned. We arrived on the island without... unpleasant meetings and we established a foothold on the Northern Coast. Several expeditions resupplied in Fort Arltrees before heading into the jungle, and the settlement is growing: Lieutenant Dubois informed me that in a few months he will be able to consolidate our position on the island, forming a militia with the colonists. However, an artillery company from Fatu Hiva could be useful to strengthen our claims." Tristan pointed at a map. "Our expedition followed this river towards the interior, finding ruins of an ancient civilization. Even more importantly, we found clues about a lost Lotii treasure... for what we know, most of it is still in a dozen shipwrecks, scattered on shallow reefs along the Southern Coast. Here you can find the position of some of them, at least if you can read Lotii. This map was kindly provided by one of their officers." His tone suggested that it wasn't exactly a gift.

"Thank you, General, I congratulate on this success. I'll read all the details of your report. You can go now, but I ask you to remain in Breshaun: soon you'll receive new orders." Most of the untold details, Jean-Luc imagined, were probably classified... he had heard strange rumors about bands of Oleander rebels siding with the Lotii, brutal Vikendian mercenaries coming from the far North, and a whole native tribe converted to the Faith; probably exaggerations, he thought, but the New World was actually quite strange.

IMG_3961

Colonel Artaud interrupted his thoughts: "Now, let's come to the real topic of today. I called you from Weelond with a certain urgency, so you probably are wondering why. Well, monsieur Lieutenant, what do you know about the North? I mean, the Great North, from Altonia to the lands of the Great Raider?"

For sure, this was an unexpected question. With a whole New World to discover, the exotic Mokolei Empire, and the mysterious Kingdom of the Lotus, nobody really cared about the North, nothing more than a long rocky coast scattered with fishing villages, barren islands and whaling ports. All the main Madrician nations had a small fleet in those waters, but nothing significant had happened there since the Vikendian raids, centuries before.

"It's quite a cold place, Sir" -he replied, immediately feeling like an idiot- "The main trading routes end in Altonia, then there are only fishing boats and small ships loaded with wood, wheat and salted cod, nothing more. I have been in the Northern fleet for a short period, hunting for Pontillan pirates, but we only captured one xebec in two years."

The colonel nodded with a half-smile... probably he didn't like the North that much too. "I agree with you, basically there is nothing interesting. Whale oil, furs, and amber are valuable, salted cod and hard cheese are useful for our navy, but there are no spices, tobacco, or exotic goods... at least, not yet."

"What do you mean, Sir?" Nine out of ten, that was the reason for his convocation

"I'll go straight to the point, Lieutenant Norbert. Only a few years ago, we knew of the rich overseas territories of Mardier, but we had no chance to reach those blessed islands. We colonized Le Bellan, but our ships simply couldn't cross the Ocean without a stop in Terraversa, and the island was closed to foreigners. So, if we couldn't reach the New World from the East, we tried going West. As you can imagine, a navigable passage in the North-West would have provided us with huge advantages, such as easy access to Western Mokolei, to the Forbidden Kingdoms in the South, possibly to the New World itself. So, we decided to organize an expedition: in the summer of 613, Captain Francois Crozier left Arcadia with sixty men. Their ship, the schooner Terreur, was last seen in late 614 by a Varcosian whaling ship... then nothing. We organized two expeditions, but we didn't find anything."

"So... you are asking me to find a ship lost six years ago in a largely unexplored ocean? It is an impossible task, Sir!" Exclaimed Lieutenant Norbert. For sure, wandering in the North for years, looking for a sunk ship was not his greatest ambition.

"Calm down, Lieutenant. The ship was actually found a few months ago, stuck in a bank of floating ice... and luckily by an Oleander ship. The captain and the crew were not there, and probably they all died before reaching civilization. However, they left a message on the ship: the first paper contained a few words, a series of locations, the plan of abandoning the ship and heading southwards, while the second, probably taken from the ship log, was barely readable, apart from the words "We found it!" and some incomplete coordinates, partly erased by moisture. Below, there was a short note asking to bring everything to an Oleander officer. They also left a little reward for the finder: a diamond and a purse of gold coins... golden Mokolei coins!" The colonel paused for a moment, giving Jean-Luc some time to metabolize everything.

"So, you are saying that... that they actually found the North-West passage, Sir?"

IMG_3962

"I'm saying that this is possible and that it is worth investigation. This will be your task. You must also identify some safe harbors along the coast, should you actually find a route to the Western Ocean. You will receive some guides and interpreters, and a copy of the message found on le Terreur; in Northern Oleon you'll find fresh supplies, but west of Varcoast you will basically be alone. Find the remains of the expedition and the ship log, or head directly West, this is up to you."

"Just a question, Sir... Why should we start from Breshaun, and not directly from Northern Oleon?"

"The answer is very simple. The ships of the Northern Fleet are mostly small and quite old, while the few good battleships we have there are essential for our balance of force with the Northern Corrish Navy. This will cost us a few months, this is true, but will also define the best harbors. Unfortunately, all the members of our expeditions had probably died soon after that message was written, and dead men have no hurry. Now go, Lieutenant Jean-Luc Norbert, you have an expedition to prepare... and prepare it well or, in two years, I'll have to send another expedition to look for yours!"

After a few more details were discussed, Jean-Luc took his leave, a list of bloody swears in his mind. As usual, an order from Colonel Artaud couldn't be discussed... but in this case, the orders were a great, complete rip-off!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I waited until the end of the challenge (more or less) but, finally, my AMRCA can actually start. It will involve the ship Le Phénix, class 4, that will leave Breshaun in a few days (it actually is in Weelond, but waiting a full MRCA turn to bring it to Breshaun would be too much).

It required longer than expected, but here you can see the photos of the second part of my AMRCA. I hope you'll forgive me a little jump since the next part will be already in the Northern Ocean: actually building a visit in every port from Breshaun to the North-West would literally take ages!

If anybody wants to join the expedition, you can join here regardless of your nationality! Great adventures are ahead, adventures in distant lands, and among people never met before!

PS: The organizer of the expedition discharges any responsibility for minor injuries to the participants, including but not limited to frostbites, bear mauling, scurvy, drowning, sacrifice by hostile natives, encounters with wolfpacks, starvation or violent death. Cannibalism may be considered acceptable, should the situation require but, in that case, a regular draw is ensured before.

Edited by Keymonus

—placeholder to fill a little geographical gap... I didn’t realise that Yeldo and Tam are different places—

Edited by Keymonus

Driftwood Bay, October 620, Isle of Tam

The first weeks of the journey went smoothly, almost without story. The weather was reasonably good and the winds were favourable... the season of the storms was still far. The ship crossed the Persus Channel and doubled the Eastern tip of Namere, entering the Great Northern Ocean. Jean-Luc visited several of the small Northern ports, taking notes about the harbour capacity and about possible dangers. He had meetings with an infinity of minor local authorities, usually in the form of a tavern talk. People always asked him news about the East but, port after port, Jean-Luc realised that the islands “beyond the line” were merging in a single confused entity, made of eternal summer, hostile savages and exotic marvels.

The Isle of Tam was the first real stop of their long journey. With his position, right East of the Great Northern Gulf, it represented an almost obliged port of call for the route they were trying to establish. Decades ago the island was an independent nation and an ally of Oleon, until Corrish Royal Marines occupied the capital city during the last months of the Forty-Nine Years War. Corrington had to face a long and stubborn resistance of the locals, but a fair government and the engagement of the local clans in the main decisions finally conquered  -more or less- the hearts of the inhabitants: most of them still spit to the ground when talking about Belson or the Parliament, but Queen Annetta had become quite popular, and almost nobody talked seriously about independence before the third pint of beer. Or, at least, this was what his guide had told him during the last weeks of dull northward sailing. Lieutenant Norbert had never visited Tam before: the island was out of the main commercial routes, that basically ended in the rich port of Dortanis... if his mission had been successful, however, the island would soon be flushing with Mokolei diamonds, silk, and spices!

After half an hour of rowing, they finally arrived in the "port" of Tam, actually a small rocky bay dotted with old piers. The small rowboat tilted on the waves of the Northern Ocean... they had arrived in the North in full summer, but the sea already seemed far wilder and colder even since they doubled the Northern tip of Namere. Now, with the autumn advancing, this impression was definitely confirmed!

The small landing party was greeted by a huge number of sea birds, who probably found the barren shore quite comfortable, and by a patrol of soldiers. Curiously, nobody of them had a red coat: instead, they all wore a sort of checkered blanket and a leather brigandine.

One of them, probably the leader, stepped forward and waved friendlily. "Welcome on Tam, foreigners! Which news from the East?" -asked the man, speaking Corrish with a heavy accent- "And what brings you on our island?"

"Thank you Sir!" Replied the Oleander officer, silently praying that the rickety pier didn't collapse under his feet. "Poseidon blessed us with no storms during the last weeks, and the weather is perfect for traders. The pirate Zublius von Wreck was captured and hanged by the Eslandolans in the Sea of Storms, and Carno is winning the war against the Lotii, far in the New Haven Region." A stronger wave hit the pier, throwing foam on his boots. The whole structure creaked.

"Oh, don't worry Sir!" -told a soldier, probably noticing his discomfort- "the old pier has seen far worse, and won't fall apart today!" The old pier answered creaking even stronger.

Not reassured at all, Jean-Luc continued: "About the reasons bringing me here, Oleon is considering an extension towards the West of the Northern Trading Route... I would like to talk with the rulers of Tam about that."

"Do you mean the Chiefs? Come with me, foreigners, you'll enjoy our hospitality! We don't have guests so often, and everyone likes the tales from the New World, here on the Grey Rock. Maybe the Corrish Governor will join too."

Everything was going even better than he expected, thought Jean-Luc before sending the rowboat to take a few gifts from the Phènix. The journey, however, was still quite long: sooner or later somebody would have shot them on sight, instead of inviting them to dinner, or they would have met only miles and miles of frozen coast, with no human beings at all... Heading further West, after all, didn't seem that great idea.

An overall view

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the first real step of Lieutenant Norbert's long journey, the Island of Tam (or at least I suppose it to be Tam, please correct me if I'm mistaken!). I don't know when the journey will continue (post lockdown period is very, very busy for me), but I'll try to do it as soon as possible!

EDIT: I planned this to take place in Yeldo, that I thought to be on the island of Tam... clarified the mistake, and considering that (real ) winter is not that far, I’ll keep my expedition here, hoping to reach the Great Alliance States before (real) December. I’ll later fill the gaps with the Captain’s Log, but what I’ve built fits definitely better with the actual position of Tam than with the one of Yeldo.

Edited by Keymonus
A couple of missing words that could cause a diplomatic crisis

Neat builds all around! I especially like the interior of the office, with the ship in the bottle and the pictures of the people on the wall.

The Isle of Tam looks equally intriguing. You can feel the howling winds and the waves battering on the rocks! Nice selection of minifigs and seagulls there.

I really like your portrayal of Tam and those clansmen look fantastic. The coastline looks desolate, cold and rocky and the build is really successful in creating that atmosphere. I'll probably end up linking this post to the Isle of Tam on the Corrington front page. Great work!

Very nice storybased MOC, indeed: the reader gets pulled into the scene: that is some very nice storytelling. 

On 8/11/2020 at 7:59 PM, Khorne said:

Neat builds all around! I especially like the interior of the office, with the ship in the bottle and the pictures of the people on the wall.

The Isle of Tam looks equally intriguing. You can feel the howling winds and the waves battering on the rocks! Nice selection of minifigs and seagulls there.

On 8/11/2020 at 11:14 PM, Fraunces said:

Very nice storybased MOC, indeed: the reader gets pulled into the scene: that is some very nice storytelling. 

Thank you, guys! These are my very first steps in this AMRCA, and having some positive feedback is very important.

On 8/11/2020 at 9:34 PM, Ayrlego said:

I really like your portrayal of Tam and those clansmen look fantastic. The coastline looks desolate, cold and rocky and the build is really successful in creating that atmosphere. I'll probably end up linking this post to the Isle of Tam on the Corrington front page. Great work!

Thank you! Feel free to use this for your faction page, I would consider it an honor.

Outside Braemore, October 620, Island of Tam

Lieutenant Norbert had walked for half an hour towards the interior when he saw the first houses of the town, actually small farms scattered in the greenest countryside he had ever seen. Quite surprisingly, the Port of Tam (the rickety pier and a couple of tiny warehouses) was rather far from the towns that spotted the island. Cormag, the officer at the piers, explained that it was for the strong winter wind... still strong, far from the coast, but a little more bearable.

Most of the farmers turned as he walked by, staring at him. His arrival was probably the most unusual thing since a very long long time: a few Corrish ships made a stop there, now and then, but the island was far beyond the border of the usual trade zones. As a consequence, most of the colonial goods were still expensive curiosities.

The inhabitants grew oat and turnips, as they had done for centuries...

isle-of-tam_50528875917_o

...and bred some strange hairy cows, robust and fit for the hard work in the fields.

isle-of-tam_50528719946_o

The only thing produced in Tam that was worth something in foreign trades was wool, used for the clothes of the inhabitants and exported to Corrington textile factories.

isle-of-tam_50528719906_o

The most interesting thing that Jean-Luc had learned during the long walk -Cormag, who had accompanied him, was definitely enthusiastic to talk a lot about his island- was the complexity of the local hierarchies, a strange superimposition of Corrish institutions and local traditions. From what he understood, the island had a Corrish governor, appointed in Belson but approved by the Council of the Chiefs, that is the heads of the most important families; the governor could theoretically take decisions on his own and was theoretically the highest authority on the island, but the opinion of the Council was usually considered binding. Moreover, there was a small garrison of redcoats that responded to the governor, but each clan also had his warriors, loyal only to the respective Chief.

This overlap of different powers was something absolutely un-Corrish, but it seemed to work: the prominent families of Tam were involved in the local government and, even if this system required a lot of long discussions, it always prevented major turmoils on the island.

isle-of-tam_50528875862_o

An important-looking man was waiting for them in the middle of he road. He seemed friendly, but he was also accompanied by a guard with an impressive axe. Jean-Luc knew that he had nothing to fear, but he also took the mental note to always bring a couple of marines with him, especially if he wanted to be considered a foreign envoy.

isle-of-tam_50528875852_o

After a brief but warm greeting, and the usual questions about “the East”, the man -who presented himself as the Chieftain of the Clan MacLean- invited Jean-Luc to his house to discuss the matters bringing him on Tam, since clearly he wasn’t there by chance.

The difficult part would have begun soon... convince a bunch of quarrelsome lords and a Corrish governor to support a trade route across the very border of the maps, towards lands they probably had never heard about. Jean-Luc hoped that the whiskey of Tam was as strong as the Oleander whalers described it... soon he would probably have needed a couple of glasses!

isle-of-tam_50528719876_o

Overall vew:

isle-of-tam_50528719861_o

----

WIP: Big story editing ongoing. Using a map without island names, I misinterpreted which one was actually Tam. Since it is already October, and I hope to reach the Great Alliance States before December, I’ll keep my expedition in the real Tam (West of Corrington) and fill the gap later, with some visiting stops (but nothing significant in terms of story) along the coast from Dortanis to Tam. If somebody wants to “embark” (for instance with a Corrish scientist, as @Bregir suggested), this is likely the last chance to do it. PM me or post a character in this thread to join (with any level of activity you want, even with a completely “passive” character that will appear now and then).

Edited by Keymonus

Very nice build, the offset plates on the wall look really good, interesting technique, I also like the alternation of green and tan,and that hairy cow, looks hilarious.:pir_laugh2:

I had overlooked this topic so far because it is from April 18th. I only noticed now that it's a sequel story. But now I was able to read a whole book with Google Translator. You are a gifted writer. Exciting and interesting story, plus lots of nice photos. I only took a closer look at the photos after reading them because I didn't want to be distracted. Really very nice builds that fit the story.

Absolutely excellent @Keymonus, and this is perhaps my favorite AMCRA that's currently running. The story is excellent, and every build has a unique character, and looks amazing. I love your portrayal of the Isle of Tam, it's exactly how I'd imagine it existing, and it's honestly perfect, both with story and builds.

Additionally, I'm always glad when someone explores the oft-unnoticed corners of the Brick Seas. We get so many builds with Palm trees, I'm so glad to see a story with some ice!

Keep it coming, and I can't wait to see how this one turns out!

(side note, the Erebus and Terror Arctic expeditions are some of my favorite moments in history, so I might be a bit biased! :pir-laugh:)

Yes, the search for the Northwestern Passage continues! Another excellent build! Like Mesabi said: it is nice to see the lesser known corners of the world. The sheep look great and the absence of wood and bountiful use of stones in construction accentuate the story's claim of Tarn being a wind blasted island.

Excellent set of builds and nice to see some out of the way places explored and described (and so well!)

What input do you need from COR?

As for joining up, I think COR would love to send a few scientists along. I'd love to get involved myself, but can't really make any promises. Having a semi-passive scientist character along I can use should I ever have the time would be fun, though, and Corrish scientists seems like an obvious choice if you'd have them :)

Very nice countryside build, something other than the usual Brick Seas topics! Very good execution of a scottish-based-part in our world