mothman99

Pirate sets you would like to see

16 hours ago, Hive said:

I actually think the last pirate line, from 2015, was really solid. A lot of repitition, and it suffered from having just the one wave - but good stuff overall. Certainly a lot better than the last castle theme from 2013.

You are correct that it suffered because of the one wave, it should have been added the next year maybe the sales weren't that good. I only bought the one set from that line, I though it was a bit over priced for what you got to be honest and I didnt like the ship at all though it to be quite weak.

If they restarted it maybe they should start the first wave with 8 - 10 sets and have at least 2 ships in the line with one being a smaller ship like the Renegade Runner for smaller wallets and make the larger ship something a bit more impressive.

10 minutes ago, LegoMFP_David said:

You are correct that it suffered because of the one wave, it should have been added the next year maybe the sales weren't that good. I only bought the one set from that line, I though it was a bit over priced for what you got to be honest and I didnt like the ship at all though it to be quite weak.

If they restarted it maybe they should start the first wave with 8 - 10 sets and have at least 2 ships in the line with one being a smaller ship like the Renegade Runner for smaller wallets and make the larger ship something a bit more impressive.

Oh please no! Not something like the Renegade Runner!
It's the second worst Pirate ship LEGO has ever released. Only Cross Bone Clipper beats it.

14 minutes ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

It's the second worst Pirate ship LEGO has ever released. Only Cross Bone Clipper beats it.

haha, I am only going down along the lines of a small pirate ship/merchant ship that would be good for people with smaller budgets or something for the larger ships to prey on

1 hour ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Actually there was worse...

image.png

3 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

Actually there was worse...

image.png

I count this as DUPLO...or DUPLO-Hybrid, so I didn't put it in the list.

But nevertheless it's absolutely horrible. What were they thinking...

1 hour ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

Haha Duplo pirates are awesome - no need to lump this monstrosity in with them :pir-grin:

To be fair, the monkey is actually scaled well to the figs. I've also seen a couple of the parts off of this in some MOCs, but as a set on it's own, it is quite weak.

9 hours ago, LegoMFP_David said:

haha, I am only going down along the lines of a small pirate ship/merchant ship that would be good for people with smaller budgets or something for the larger ships to prey on

Yeah, it's not implausible to think LEGO could come up with a set around that size that more believably resembles a small sailing ship like a sloop, cutter, or ketch — especially if they gave it a brick-built hull or some customization-friendly new hull mold in place of the prefab 12-stud-wide hull pieces used for sets like Renegade Runner or Cross Bone Clipper.

4 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

I mean, in fairness, that's still the only full-size LEGO pirate ship set to this day that's actually designed to float! And as you suggest, the more general simplicity of the build is because 4 Juniors was a preschool theme like Fabuland, intended to serve as an intermediate/transitional theme between Duplo (with a building level geared towards toddlers) and System play themes (with a building level geared towards school-aged kids).

Today "4+" sets perform more or less that same role, but with figures, parts, and themes that more closely resemble the ones aimed at older kids — which presumably helps to create an even smoother transition into "regular" sets from those themes.

10 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

That's the thing, it's not Duplo, and its not even compatible with Duplo.

But it is 100% compatible with regular (I.e SYSTEM) LEGO.

10 hours ago, Brickander Brickumnus said:

I've wondered that myself!

I remember the announcement in 2003 that LEGO Pirates would be returning and it was very exciting... Until close up photos of the sets were revealed.