Hello Eurobricks!

I am happy to present to you my latest creation, or rather series of creations that I named YEGO.

YOGA + LEGO = YEGO

Yes, I know that’s an easy pun.

49779131637_bc925abd60_c.jpgYEGO

by Gregory Coquelz, on Flickr

I have practiced Yoga occasionally since my teens (I’m in my 40’s now). I started it because I had stress management issues and it really helped me. I keep doing it every now and then, whenever I feel like my body needs it… a few breathing exercises, a few poses…

A few years ago, the idea to mix Yoga and Lego crossed my mind (that’s usually how it goes, if I like something I eventually try to give it the LEGO treatment).

That being said, Yoga in LEGO form is not exactly intuitive or straightforward. LEGO is not exactly known for its bending properties... so, how to tackle this? I then thought of trying a brick-built character.

My first one was the Lotus (Padmasana). Relatively simple, it seemed like a reasonable challenge. I was quite happy with the result… but it left me wanting something more. So, I continued to explore the possibilities until I had a series of 3 different characters.

These first creations remained on a shelf for a while... every now and then I would have an itch to build another, until the day I was looking at 9 different characters striking all kinds of improbable poses.

That’s when I realized I had a good idea, and that this concept could very well take the shape of an official LEGO set.

YEGO is therefore now a LEGO Ideas project!

Imagine a YEGO “starter kit”. A small set, 300-350 elements? Allowing to build 3 characters in different poses. Most of the elements are common to each pose... the possibilities are endless. The set could also include alternate building instructions – like a “Creator 3 in 1” set or the BrickHeadz “Brick me” set.

The base character is meant to be neutral and androgynous – but it is also easily customizable. For instance, it would also only take the swapping of a few elements to represent a different skin tone or a different color of clothing.

But the concept does not stop there. I envision that this set could also serve as an introduction to Yoga. Build the poses, and then practice then for real! I am mostly thinking of the younger audiences here (there is no age requirement to practice Yoga) … what better way to initiate your kids to Yoga than to do so with a LEGO set?

If you feel that this project is interesting, I encourage you to click the link below and vote to show your support!

https://ideas.lego.com/content/project/link/154cc77a-0764-4bc3-a17f-8ecc3916bd97

Here are a few additional close-up views of the different poses. Some are quite simple… others a lot less! That is another inevitability of the AFOL syndrome… we tend to over-complicate things quite often…)

Left: Upward Bow (Urdhva Dhanurasana)
Right: Scorpion (Vrischikasana in Pincha Mayurasana)

49778215453_c071fe48ea_c.jpgYego duo 1

Left: Warrior I variation (Virabhadrasana I)
Right: Lord of the Dance Pose (Nataraja)

49778215553_7efb7c6995_c.jpgYego duo 2

Left: Warrior III (Virabhadra III)
Right: Tree pose (Vrksasana)

49779077142_e5fb66ec0b_c.jpgYego duo 3

Left: Cobra (Bhujangasana)
Right: Triangle (Trikonasana)

49778215548_baf8c784ee_c.jpgYego duo 4

Lastly, some of you may remember that this is not my first attempt at LEGO Ideas project.

In 2010, my project “Shaun of the Dead, the Winchester” secured the necessary support to reach the review stage thanks to the incredible support of Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright.

Sadly, it was then denied by LEGO.

If you are interested to hear more about that story, check it out here:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/64112-an-internet-tale-winchestershaun-of-the-dead-project-on-cuusoo/

I can at least say that this slightly disappointing experience was not entirely for nothing – as it got me the fun name tag of “Valiant Effort” on this forum! (I never knew who to thank for that btw :tongue:).

I had told myself never again… but you should never say never… and, I swear, this time no Zombies!

On 4/18/2020 at 1:32 AM, skcheung said:

This is very interesting. A good reference to build miniland people.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, DutchBlockhead said:

Wow, very well executed!

Thanks!

The project has just reached 100 supporters, so... it means it now has a little over 1 year to reach the next threshold (1k). I have not really started doing any promotion on the networks.. so this is the next step!

Also, the Ideas staff, picked the project to be featured in their weekly newsletter, there is still along way to go but this is definitely encouraging.

On 4/17/2020 at 10:39 PM, Yatkuu said:

I had told myself never again… but you should never say never… and, I swear, this time no Zombies!

Or what about ZYEGO: LEGO zombies doing yoga? What’s not to love about zombies doing yoga?

Seriously though, if your figures had realistic articulation (ball at the shoulder, hinge at the elbow etc), you would only need one figure for all positions. You would just need to put it in the right pose. Also, you could obviate the issue of representation by using yellow instead of flesh tone colours for the skin.

Edited by AmperZand

Cool! I like it. Maybe if they had faces it would be even cooler! 

On 4/21/2020 at 6:45 AM, AmperZand said:

Or what about ZYEGO: LEGO zombies doing yoga? What’s not to love about zombies doing yoga?

Seriously though, if your figures had realistic articulation (ball at the shoulder, hinge at the elbow etc), you would only need one figure for all positions. You would just need to put it in the right pose. Also, you could obviate the issue of representation by using yellow instead of flesh tone colours for the skin.

Hahaha, ZYEGO? Maybe for an April's fools ;-)

One of the characters is using ball joints (the Upper bow) - I love ball joints but they are not really aesthetically pleasing, so unless the joints can be hidden I would try to stay away from these. Also, even the ball joints are limited in their range.

The idea is not to build an "action figure" but focus on the challenge of the building experience - "how can I build with this angle/ do a stud reversal to attach this bit here?.."

That being said... if this project ever gets to the review it would be up to TLG to consider the feasibility... but I think that at this scale this is the most accurate you can be.

With regards to the use of yellow.. honestly I had not even considered it! I am s used to see brick-built characters use "Tan" as skin color.. I will give this a try to see how it looks - thanks for the suggestion!

2 hours ago, Blob said:

Cool! I like it. Maybe if they had faces it would be even cooler! 

Thanks!

The absence of facial expressions is another limitation from the scale.

But.. it is also by design as the character is meant to be gender neutral (and faceless) on purpose. This allows to focus on the poses.. and (at least in my mind) facilitate some sort of projection.

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share a small video I made to promote my project. It's the first time I am trying this - I hope you like it.

Edited by Yatkuu
Youtube link correction