Gunman

Top 10 Sets for a City Layout

Hello there guys/girls :)

Made a list of what I think is the TOP10 of LEGO sets of all time, a City layout should have

let me know what you think! :)

Those are definitely some great sets to have, but buying those would cost roughly $4,000 *huh* At least replace the Statue of Liberty with the newer one, then you lose about $1700 of that

Ye most of them are hard to acquire nowadays mate but this shouldn't chance the order of ''top 10'' imo :)

I like the more recent carousel with the animals so much better then the original. So much movement and fun!  

I have both but I think I prefer the old one, being bigger and with motor-movement ready.. though the newer one is a great set too ofcourse :)

lol, the "Top 10 Lego City Sets" ......as per the title of the you tube video, the only top 10 countdown to feature zero branded "City" sets........

Everyone will have their own opinion on this.  Scale of the sets you picked is also challenging in a city environment.  This countdown is more like some of the best sets Lego have made......but again everyone will have a different opinion.  If we are really talking about sets for a city, I would see some kind of train station (maybe the red one from the 9v era), and maybe the classic 6399 monorail if this was really the top 10 sets to have in a city.  Maybe a harbour as well as an airport.

Edited by paul_delahaye

as I mentioned above, saying City as of City layout. All those sets can be ''City sets'' I am not speaking just about City theme. Most of them are big, but I mentioned the top 10.. it is expected to be BIG sets

1 hour ago, fordtruckin said:

A lot of good sets there but in my opinion every Lego city should have City set 3221 - Lego semi.

That's a good one. This Lego truck is a good one to have to complement that one. I kinda regret not getting those when I had the chance. 

I almost always only turn to City for vehicles nowadays which City has a galore of. Two thumbs up for whoever came up with Great Vehicles. Wish I would've grabbed some of  those Octan trucks when I had the chance.  

Edited by Brandon Pea

Hi!

Great Top 10, love all those sets!

- i only miss this one 75827 Ghostbusters Firehouse Headquarters

Greetings!

19 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

That's a good one. This Lego truck is a good one to have to complement that one.

I actually have three of the 3221 sets. I have the one you linked to and I have the Toys R Us set 7848. I have a few Lego store sets plus I modified the top floor of the Grand Emporium to be a Lego Store.

1 hour ago, fordtruckin said:

I actually have three of the 3221 sets. I have the one you linked to and I have the Toys R Us set 7848. I have a few Lego store sets plus I modified the top floor of the Grand Emporium to be a Lego Store.

Nice work! People often make a big deal out of so many vehicles. But the thing is...you can never have too many vehicles in a town. In real life, you see more vehicles than buildings. The Toys R Us truck was another good one too. Unfortunately that one was a Toys R Us exclusive so its impossible for me to find that one now. Unless I go online. 

11 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Unfortunately that one was a Toys R Us exclusive so its impossible for me to find that one now. Unless I go online. 

That retired while I was in my dark ages. Found it for a decent price last year thru Craigslist in the Chicago area. Same with the 3221 Lego semi trucks.

55 minutes ago, fordtruckin said:

That retired while I was in my dark ages. Found it for a decent price last year thru Craigslist in the Chicago area. Same with the 3221 Lego semi trucks.

Awesome

You'll also need tow trucks too! 

Lightweight

Flatbed

Heavy Wrecker

Lego has also done blue, green and yellow ones too! But the orange ones just stand out more to me. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Although these are cool sets, I would never combine the statue of liberty and the Eiffel tower in the same city.

I'm also not fond of the size of the carousel, both old or new. I think they are to big compared to the size of the modulars. I would switch the carousel with the ghost busters HQ or something. But let that be the most important thing of Lego. We all can build what we want. Combine how we want it and so on ...

6 hours ago, Svendp said:

Although these are cool sets, I would never combine the statue of liberty and the Eiffel tower in the same city.

I don't think I can argue there. Personally, I wouldn't use those in my city at all. It would not only be kinda disrespectful to Fance and the USA to use those symbols for a fictional town, but if I were to put those in my town, I'd kinda be obligated to call my town New York City or Paris. :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Brandon Pea

I'll have you know that these are also some good sets to have in your city. You may have to make mods to 60257 and 60258 such as added roof, walls and windows. But they're simple and easy to do. 

New York City or Paris xDD 

thanks for the feedback guys. @carebear honestly totaly forgot about Ghostbusters HQ.... An amazing set that I would put pretty high on my list.... :blush:

Edited by Gunman

On 11/25/2020 at 8:08 PM, Brandon Pea said:

What about this set? 

It's a good set but I don't think it'll necessarily be on the top 10 list, especially compared to other amazing sets.

Edited by JintaiZ

17 hours ago, JintaiZ said:

It's a good set but I don't think it'll necessarily be on the top 10 list, especially compared to other amazing sets.

Each to their own. As far as City sets go though, the 2017 bus station is at least one of the top 10. 

1 minute ago, Brandon Pea said:

Each to their own. As far as City sets go though, the 2017 bus station is at least one of the top 10. 

I think the bus in 60200 would work better though...

4 minutes ago, JintaiZ said:

I think the bus in 60200 would work better though...

Nah! Red don't look good on a bus. That was the biggest mistake the London Transport made. I like yellow or blue. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Ignoring the rarity, I disagree with most of the choices of sets which are good for a city layout. You have very few sets which are things you would find in a regular city and Market Street isn't even a good example of the modular set.