T Lego

[MOC] Lamborghini Centenario hypercar 1:8 with building instructions

@brunojj1 Thanks a lot for your extensive feedback! 

On 4/17/2020 at 8:05 PM, brunojj1 said:

Are the rims made of 2 individual parts to be stacked onto each other? Are they painted or is that grey and black basic material? What was your motivation to go this way and not to use available "standard" ones?

Each rim consist of three parts which need to be printed individually and then stacked on top of each other. The grey and black are indeed basic materials - no paint was used. I opted to go for these custom ones, because they would look more accurate than the dark blue bugatti rims (which besides looked completely disgusting). Of course I also enjoyed the challenge of designing them en make them fit properly on to the disc hubs and original tires.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:28 PM, Zerobricks said:

Incredible! The bodywork is so detailed, smooth and flowing, a real inspiration! You inspired me to try building more scale models and to improve my (severely) lacking aestethic skills.

EDIT: Featured the topic :thumbup:

Thanks, It's an honour!

On 4/17/2020 at 8:59 PM, vectormatic said:

i simply dont like the mini fake engine, and especially in a car this scale, i dont think they make sense at all. I realize it might be a necessity due to including complicated suspension and gearboxes and needing the space, but both in terms of scale and accuracy, i think the mini-fake engine is a disservice to the car.

I get your point, but a V12 engine made out of lego's engine components would be too long for my taste. You are right about the space limitation of course, but in terms of accuracy I also didn't want an engine which would partly sit on top of the rear axle.

You guys were interested in seeing more behind the design process itself so I am sharing some of my WIP and how I proceed.

The main inspiring mocs were Charbel's 720s with his complete modularity and Bruno's P1 with it's detailed and realistic monocoque. Besides I really admired both bodyworks. Anyways, I started off with Sariel's model scaler to check the dimensions and other important distances. Then I started making a plan /lay-out of where all mechanisms and functional elements should go having these dimensions (and priorities mentioned in the main post) in mind. The building starts with the axles, then comes the gearbox and engine and all other mechanisms, after which I connect everything together with a rigid monocoque and other chassis elements.  Then you work your way out to the bodywork. I usally start by making the windshield frame, doors and front/rear sections. Then comes the rest. I carefully look at pictures of the real car and look for technic panel compositions that matches the real car. Strictly according to the blueprints, allowing 1 stud maximum 'violation'. This is a long and hard process. Ideas for these panel compositions can come within minutes but sometimes take multiple weeks to come up with. Then you must find a way to put the panels at the right angles. The #5 & #6 panels above the rear intake are a great example. 

Here you can see the struggle with the side profile. In this case I was not satisfied with the stacked liftarms in the doors and the panels behind the doors looked too clutered and didn't flow very well so I had to find a differend composition. Getting the characterisic Centenario skirt on the side was a major problem too since it would be sticking out a stud on both sides. Of course you did not want to bring the entire side a stud inwards either because it would make the wheels stick out. The final solution was to curve the side inwards

20191022_151942.jpg20200402_151023.jpg

The modular chassis with early bodywork attempts in the front and rear.

20191112_153359.jpg

The doors were a huge nightmare as well. The hinge itself is increadibly simple. The mechanism to open it was the real struggle tough. The LBG axle sticking out on the side had to be connected to it. I have tried over 50 different designs which would either make the opening too heavy, or reduce the range of motion of the opening movement. .

20191017_133259.jpg

Edited by T Lego

3 hours ago, T Lego said:

Thanks, It's an honour!

I get your point, but a V12 engine made out of lego's engine components would be too long for my taste. You are right about the space limitation of course, but in terms of accuracy I also didn't want an engine which would partly sit on top of the rear axle.

Yes, I totally agree.  In fact, not sure that @vectormatic's comment about the engine is a true critique, but rather (and a point he makes very well himself) just a difference in taste; and one cannot litigate or objectify personal taste.

The complaint about scale is not resolved with using the typical fake engine parts used by TLG b/c they would indeed be too long for this.  A V12 out of the fake engine elements would be at least, what, 26 studs long (b/c of the brackets on the end)?  I remember building the W16 in 42083 and thinking it was the ugliest, most obstreperous contraption I had ever seen.  So, I created my own version of the W16.  Still out of scale, yes, but IMO looked better and less clunky than the contraption the set came with. 

My point is, for 1/8 scale cars in Technic scaling problems are going to be a given.  Either too large or too small.  So pick your poison.  IMO, your version is hands down better of an option than using TLG elements.  One is not better than the other just a matter of taste.  Many folks are hating on the mini engine movement - but man love it as well and I am one of them.  I prefer such engines to TLG elements by far. I have been saying this for a while now: we have gotten a slew of new elements from TLG supercars.  New disk brakes, gear wave selector, etc., .... IMO it is now time for an update on the engine parts.  We have had them for what, 30+ years?  Time for an update.....

BTW.... I forgot to comment on the car. 

Beautiful job.  I love it.  Overall, folk's skill in building supercars is really reaching a new level.  I love the modularity, the resemblance to building a real car, the monocoque, the functions, etc.  I was being burnt out of supercars from TLG.  Both 42056 and 83 were ho-hum IMO,  so I built a few supercars by elite MOCers (@brunojj1's P1, @Didumos69's rough supercar) and my love for building such sets has been revitalized.  If I get the chance, I would love to build this too.....

Amazing MOC, do you have any pictures of it with other lego 1:8 scale cars? Like the Chiron?

Good news: The stickers are now available here: https://www.jaaptechnic.com/p/stickers.html

1 hour ago, Aman said:

Amazing MOC, do you have any pictures of it with other lego 1:8 scale cars? Like the Chiron?

Thanks! I think this picture is what you are looking for: (amazing collection of LVDH)

collection%20Lorenzo.jpg

@emielroumen It’s Dugald’s Koenigsegg Regera, another one I can highly recommend. And yes of course it’s on rebrickable, like (almost) all of them :wink: 

Just now, LvdH said:

@emielroumen It’s Dugald’s Koenigsegg Regera, another one I can highly recommend. And yes of course it’s on rebrickable, like (almost) all of them :wink: 

Thanks, found it here indeed. I might buy the additional parts for the Lambo and the Regera in one go!

12 hours ago, T Lego said:

The main inspiring mocs were Charbel's 720s with his complete modularity and Bruno's P1 with it's detailed and realistic monocoque.

Genuinely honored. I am still amazed by this design, you achieved to build such a beautiful bodywork with a very clean chassis ! 

I am Lost for words. Such a clean body.

I have to ask: How are the 3D printed wheels fixed to the wheel hubs? As far as I know it would be impossible to 3D print Pins strong enough to hold wheels in place...

Thanks again everyone!

7 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I have to ask: How are the 3D printed wheels fixed to the wheel hubs? As far as I know it would be impossible to 3D print Pins strong enough to hold wheels in place...

You are right about that. That's why the rims have 3 holes inside in which you can push 1/2 technic pins. 

IMG_7924.JPG

23 minutes ago, T Lego said:

Thanks again everyone!

You are right about that. That's why the rims have 3 holes inside in which you can push 1/2 technic pins. 

IMG_7924.JPG

And that's a strong enough connection? Wow. I thought of 3D printing wheels before, but my plan would have been to use the older stiffer 4459 pins in a similar way.

Edited by Gray Gear

Hi T Lego, 

I saw your model some time ago on Insta. It is amazing. Two things have particularly caught my attention. The first one is the placement of the gearbox which allows to put the shifter right under the engine, leaving all the space into the monocoque. The second is the wide use of 9x5 beams (combined with frames) on the structure. They efficiently stiffen the chassis in the 3 directions. And that paneling is amazing, especially when considering the part availability in this color. 

This inspired me for the project I am currently working on (the rework of the Bugatti Chiron with corrected proportions and hopefully the use of less parts). The rear part is done with a different suspension set-up and a different shifter organization, avoiding the use of a chain. At the moment it is paused because I didn't find a rigid enough solution to connect the rear to the monocoque (engine is bigger). I will upload pics to my Bricksafe if you are interested in seeing it! 

Keep up the good work! 

3 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

And that's a strong enough connection? Wow. I thought of 3D printing wheels before, but my plan would have been to use the older stiffer 4459 pins in a similar way.

The 3D printing is quite tight so they’re in a lot stronger than a normal LEGO part. 

Just now, LvdH said:

The 3D printing is quite tight so they’re in a lot stronger than a normal LEGO part. 

Ooh ok

T Lego: Amazing MOC, next level bodywork. It's going straight to my top 5 of the last 5 years! Time to get active, I need these instructions. Building this will be a learning experience by itself!

@T Lego, just to confirm what @nerdsforprez said, my post want meant as criticism of your build, i dont have the right to, considering your skills far surpass mine from the looks of it.

Just from a personal point of view, i dont like the mini fake engine, it is the wrong paradigm (camshaft vs crankshaft), and as such loses it educational function, and isnt realistic. That doesnt mean that there is no place for it, as sets like 42093, every single brilliant TC18 entry, and MOCs like this would be either impossible or severely compromised by using the stock lego engine parts. 

Personally i would really like some updated engine parts from lego (more crank parts for proper boxer or cross plane cranks, maybe 120 deg angles for proper V6/V12?), but im not holding my breath. Generally speaking i think that sets like 42083 end up compromised worse and for other reasons before we get to the engine, and while we've seen new gearbox parts, wheel, even disc brakes introduced, i think TLC is of the opinion that the current engine parts suffice, they fit in everything from very small to very large sets to create some illusions of an engine, and i guess that is what we will have to settle for.

@grego18f Thanks for your feedback, it's always highly appreciated! I am glad I inpired you for your chiron rework - it looks great! The chains was the most effecient way to transfer the torque in my case but of course it is not ideal. Especially since synchronizing is a bit harder with a chain than with just gears.

@Ultimatemau Thanks, I wish you a pleasant building process!

@vectormatic I agree about your entire comment. I wish new engine parts too very hard too although I don't see it happening anytime soon...

Are there any issues with the panels above the front wheels rubbing them? They look like they are very close to hitting the tires.

14 hours ago, Jubuilder said:

The original Centenario does come in your color of preference :)

I know , I really loved the spec 'Blue Cepheus' Centenario and dark azure looked pretty close to that colour so that's why I built it in that colour.

47 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Are there any issues with the panels above the front wheels rubbing them? They look like they are very close to hitting the tires.

Only if you push the car the car fully down and the springs compress then yes. But when regularly driving and steering with the car that is not the case.

33 minutes ago, iamakoolman said:

if only it was a real set you sould submit it in lego ideas

It would never get approved, even with 10k supporters. It exceeds the maximum parts quantity and even if it didn't: zero percent chance.

2 hours ago, iamakoolman said:

if only it was a real set you sould submit it in lego ideas

Lego already has the Lamborghini license.