T Lego

[MOC] Lamborghini Centenario hypercar 1:8 with building instructions

The Lamborghini Centenario: a mind blowing hypercar created to celebrate what would have been the 100th birthday of the bull-branded manufacturer’s founder, Ferruccio.

20200413_092141.jpg

I am quite excited to present my latest creation, which is the result of hundreds of hours of work after being inspired to make a 1:8 scale supercar myself, which should line up nicely next to LEGO’s ultimate series cars and some other magnificent 1:8 scale manual supercar MOCs.

Priorities:

- Including of a whole bunch of manually controlled functions representing the original car

- An accurate replication of the bodywork made mainly out of panels

- An uncompromised interior inside a realistic monocoque

- Modularity of the complete car (both chassis and bodywork)

20200412_163157.jpg

Specs:

-  Length: 74 Studs (59cm); Width: 31 Studs (25cm); Height: 16 Studs (13cm)

-  Weight: 2975 g

-  Parts count: 3789 pcs

-  Custom 3D printed rims (rims from set 42083 compatible too)

-  Stickers by Jaap Technic (includes diffuser accents)

20200413_111937.jpg

20200413_112454.jpg

Features:

-  AWD with 3 differentials

-  Front/rear realistic pushrod suspension with horizontal springs

-  Working fake custom V12 engine

-  Steering + working steering wheel - HOG control on the dash

-  Openable bonnet and engine cover

-  Openable scissor doors - HOG control underneath the bonnet

-  Extendable rear spoiler - HOG control underneath the engine cover

-  7 speed sequential gearbox - lever control in the central column

-  14 individually detachable chassis and bodywork modules

-  Luggage compartment in the front trunk with travel trolley

20200413_094513.jpg

20200412_182051.jpg

20200402_150421.jpg20200413_110815.jpg

The gearbox:

The gearbox combines a four speed and two speed gearbox to get a total number of eight different gear ratios, which a commonly used concept nowadays. The real car’s gearbox has seven speeds, therefore a blocker was installed which prevents shifting into eighth gear and at the same time shifting from eighth to first. Didumos69’s well known reliable stepper mechanism was used for shifting trough all gears which is connected to a lever in the central column. The gearbox is located underneath the rear differential which was necessary in order for the entire drivetrain (gearbox, shifting mechanism and engine) to be mounted entirely behind the monocoque. The advantage here is that you can’t see any of the gearbox components in the interior as everything is covered up, but you can take a deeper look at it if you flip the car upside down or open the engine cover to see the gearbox in action.

Lamborghini%20Centenario%20Gearbox%20Render.pngLamborghini%20Centenario%20Mechanisms.png

20200402_180157.jpg    20200402_180256.jpg

The modularity:

Modularity may very well be the most overlooked feature but it really adds a lot. Modularity makes a MOC more fun/interesting/realistic to build, easier to disassemble and modify as well. The third was also convenient during the design process as every section of the car constantly had to be revised and improved. You can also easily re-explore some of the mechanisms put together every now and then. Within a few minutes you can detach all 14 modules by simply pulling a few pins or axles which are marked red.

20200412_151819.jpg

20200412_150746.jpg

The bodywork:

Even though blue may not be a classic Lambo colour, I still insisted to build it in dark azure. The decision resulted in a LOT of difficulties and challenges due to the lack of parts, mainly pin- and axle connectors, available in this colour, but in the end it was worth the struggle. The final result is primarily made from panels and some system elements (tiles and slopes) to either fill ugly gaps or to add some smooth lines at spots where panels couldn’t do the job. With original Lego parts you can only build this in dark azure, but if you were to paint the rear mudguards and substitute the 16L flex axles with rigid hoses, you can get some pretty awesome alternative specs too like this black & yellow version by Marc Vink who received an early version of the building instructions.

by3.jpg

@Thorsten50 and I collaborated to create incredible high quality step-by-step PDF building instructions, I am very thankful. Also many thanks to @LvdH for carefully testing the instructions and proposing adjustments to ensure that the construction process goes as smoothly as possible.

Approximately 50% of the parts needed are included in the 42083 Bugatti Chiron set, so it’s recommended to get one to build it. I am also giving the opportunity to build it with custom 3D printed rims. On top of that, you can also get the stickers sheet I used which is designed by Jaap Technic.

20200402_145746.jpg

Building instructions and parts list are available here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-39933/T-Lego/lamborghini-centenario-18-hypercar/#comments

Stickers by Jaap Technic: https://www.jaaptechnic.com/p/stickers.html

Get the rims here: https://technic-rims.com/products/lamborghini-centenario

More pictures can be found here: https://bricksafe.com/pages/T_Antonie/lamborghini-centenario-18

Constructive critics, comments, feedback and questions are as always appreciated!

Enjoy your day

Edited by T Lego

9 minutes ago, Raymonndo said:

This is spectacular, the resemblance is very good!

Well done on this amazing MOC!

Having had a quick look its definitely more viable to purchase set 42083. Will be adding this on my list to build after sourcing another Chiron :classic:.

Great work again!

Very nice MOC.  Love the curved azure stripes on the rear - how have you achieved that? 

Great video, particularly liked the rendered depictions of the mechanisms.

Wow, that is a fantastic looking car :wub::wub:

It ticks so many boxes for me:

- Manual model
- Sequential gearbox (it doesn't have a D-N-R switcher does it?)
- scissor doors
- fantastic clean bodywork
- modular design

And then those dark azure accents on the rear diffusors, I just love those!

The only really tiny nitpick would be the head lights. I have no idea how to do those better though. And maybe the hood is bit cluttered with small and overlapping panels.

But to be fair, this is a fantastic creation. LEGO will have no chance to beat this one with 42115

Wow, really sleek! Immediately bought the instructions, and need to check which parts I still need when the Il Torro Azzurro is done.

This is no doubt one of the most beautiful eye pleasing technic car mocs built by an AFOL ever, and It packs in all of the features that one would come to expect.

A few things that I am not excited over are the front wheels arches looking a bit wonky, especially from the side view. They have a nice round look in the rear due to the arch piece being used. but in the front, they just look misshaped, especially in the front of the front wheels. There are a number of connections that look kind of fragile and pieces look like they will constantly need repositioning. And as Jeroen mentioned, I am not real keen on the method used for the headlights.

But overall, congrats and the current hottest car moc. It looks gorgeous.

Edited by Meatman

Just now, Meatman said:

This is no doubt one of the most beautiful eye pleasing technic car mocs built

I agree completely. I'm not a car guy, but this is an amazing model.. looks fantastic, and with the bodywork taken off the monocoque look just as good. Very very impressive (and i'm rarely impressed by cars!!) :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Quick question, what is holding and supporting the rear wheel arches?

The 5x7 panel at the skirts and the stud of a 3L axle with stud at the rear end pin hole. 

Just now, LvdH said:

The 5x7 panel at the skirts and the stud of a 3L axle with stud at the rear end pin hole. 

Oh, ok. They looked like they were just floating on the single pin in the front. Would it be more beneficial structurally to use say a 4L axle with stop going through the the rear hole rather than just catching that 1/2 a stud on the end of the axle?

Just now, Meatman said:

Oh, ok. They looked like they were just floating on the single pin in the front. Would it be more beneficial structurally to use say a 4L axle with stop going through the the rear hole rather than just catching that 1/2 a stud on the end of the axle?

It’s definitely possible to use a 4L axle with stop, but for the sake of full modularity a 3L axle with stud is easier, both for attaching and detaching. 

It’s sturdy enough to withstand normal play though. I haven’t had any issues with the rear arches.

Thanks everyone for your kind words! Really motivating for the next one!

5 hours ago, PeaBrain said:

Love the curved azure stripes on the rear - how have you achieved that? 

Tey are just thin strips of vinyl sticker.

5 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

(it doesn't have a D-N-R switcher does it?)

No it does not. I wanted a center tunnel that would be 5 studs wide and high so that's the compromise I made.

3 hours ago, Meatman said:

I am not real keen on the method used for the headlights.

Agreed. I have tried countless of design including using transparent parts as well, but nothing really worked. The alternative using an ice hockey stick is the most accuarate in shape but of course not ideal either.

Wonderful job you have done here my friend, congratulations on entering the next level :thumbup::thumbup:!

So finally we are able to take a deeper look at this beauty :wub:. You have nailed all the shapes and captured the soul of the Centenario with all those important characteristic edges and angles. The car sitting as low, almost no ground clearance, is just to my taste. The front and rear views are stunning, aggresive like on the real car. Side profile resembles the silhouette very well too. I like the interior very much - nice details in the dash, beautiful cockpit area. Solid basic functions, great gearbox, openings with all the rings and bells plus mandatory suitcase, what does a supercar lover need more?

As mentionned by others, the front wheel arch looks not as good from the side, as if the front axle/wheel has been pulled back by one stud accidently.. but hey, nobody and nothing is perfect in this world. You have had your limitations in parts range and of course there is always something which can be improved at some point, but then you would never finish a project.

I´d be interested in the background story, I´m sure others would be as well. How seriously were you following blueprints e.g.? Did you get inspirations from other builders / their creations? You know, once I have thought about building this car, but while „accumulating the costs“ I couldn´t get over such obstacles as the diffuser with thin coloured edges or more trivial – the headlights, which are crucial details. You have found good solutions for these I haven´t thought of.

Are the rims made of 2 individual parts to be stacked onto each other? Are they painted or is that grey and black basic material? What was your motivation to go this way and not to use available "standard" ones?

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by brunojj1

Incredible! The bodywork is so detailed, smooth and flowing, a real inspiration! You inspired me to try building more scale models and to improve my (severely) lacking aestethic skills.

EDIT: Featured the topic :thumbup:

Edited by Zerobricks

Amazing work, i wouldnt be surprised at all if the official lambo wont quite reach the bar you set with this moc.

That said, there is one minor nit i have to pick, i simply dont like the mini fake engine, and especially in a car this scale, i dont think they make sense at all. I realize it might be a necessity due to including complicated suspension and gearboxes and needing the space, but both in terms of scale and accuracy, i think the mini-fake engine is a disservice to the car. (feel free to completely ignore me though, im weirdly obsessed with engine accuracy, and ranting about the mini-fake engine has to be a decent fraction of my posts on this forum by now, in the end it comes down to personal taste)

Wow!  What an amazing design packed with so many features.  One of MOCs of all time as well.  Keep building the future is secured. ?

That is stunning. I don’t build with instructions usually but I’m buying that.

Beautiful model and the list of features is impressive.

This is a masterpiece.  The shaping is wonderful and looks fabulous in azure, and the details on the tail end are gorgeous!  And the luggage, even!  Bravo.