SilenWin

[TC18] Marocchino Rat Rod Wrecker

Hi everyone!

This is probably my first attempt to make a MOC, not a MOD or something based on Lego set or someone's else MOC.

I don't really like this scale, but it's quite a challenge for me to build a 15 wide car :blush:

Update: I decided not to continue building the pickup. All photos relating to him were moved under the spoiler at the end of this post.

After some searches, I find the most perspective prototype: this rat rod. Main goal was not to copy all the proportions, but to keep the visual style and add some nice features. Reddish brown panels and connectors helped me a lot with the first goal. I also decided that the combination of a dark bottom and a white top is funny and it would be nice to name a car like some kind of coffee :grin:

49871317552_c431ea9eb9_b.jpg

49870479528_2bcdcf0884_b.jpg

So, I ended up with this features:

• V6 fake engine
  • 2-speed gearbox (1:1 and 2:1 ratios)
  • limited slip rear differential
  • working steering wheel
  • detachable HOG steering on the roof
  • ratchet winch (like in 42069)
  • front single leaf spring suspension
  • rear live axle with leaf springs
  • opening suicide doors

49870478463_14b7cac0f9_b.jpg

49871316727_3067a7f5a6_b.jpg

49871010041_fd6aa50c6f_b.jpg

49870477608_750b800b7c_b.jpg

49870477863_fdffdfec38_b.jpg

49870478078_7814e0f572_b.jpg

I'm quite happy about this truck, that was a really nice experience to work in such scale :laugh:

Photos of the chassis and some renders of the drivetrain - inside the spoiler

Spoiler

49870477328_6c7223424b_b.jpg

49871007866_3408e99410_b.jpg

49871314652_a16f9de60e_b.jpg

49871314352_9e2752b416_b.jpg

49870476188_940758859b_b.jpg

Drivetrain:
49871313787_a495cf669c_b.jpg

With steering:
49871006696_843ac5ed29_b.jpg

With suspension:
49870475903_2723b30f2c_b.jpg

And with winch:
49871006721_79cfba329c_b.jpg

Spoiler

49782080007_1c6c2b3c52_z.jpg

49781752731_948c14fe35_z.jpg

So I decide to build pickup inspired of legends like Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge trucks. Unfortunately it will be only RWD and I'm not sure about working fake engine, but I'll try to add some features like gearbox and winch (one of my goals - to make some kind of wrecker truck). Also I'm not sure about rear axle - is the twin-wheel axle permitted by the contest rules?

49782079967_d494d75fcd_z.jpg

Front suspension is exactly 15 studs wide with wheels, but with current hood there is no space for a working fake engine. Maybe torsion suspension instead of current setup will solve this problem :sceptic:

Edited by SilenWin

The beginning is really promising! I like how you modelled the front :sweet:

I also love the front design! And it's nice to see someone else using the same wheels as I am, those don't seem to see much use nowdays...

26 minutes ago, Shtykoff said:

U are here too! Good luck. No spared tired are not allowed. U can use fifth wheel if u want 

One spare tire is allowed (extract from the rules):

You need to use exactly four tires/wheels for driving (you can add one spare tire if you need it).

Thank you very much for your comments and advices!

Today progress is not so great at all, but I'm totally rebuild the front and squeezed the V6 working fake engine into it :grin:

49786379352_a99965e920_z.jpg

49786379272_8ee50fa3ff_z.jpg

Now I doubt whether it makes sense to do a pickup wrecker, or is it better to concentrate on something like El Camino :sceptic:

5 hours ago, SilenWin said:

Thank you very much for your comments and advices!

Today progress is not so great at all, but I'm totally rebuild the front and squeezed the V6 working fake engine into it :grin:

49786379352_a99965e920_z.jpg

49786379272_8ee50fa3ff_z.jpg

Now I doubt whether it makes sense to do a pickup wrecker, or is it better to concentrate on something like El Camino :sceptic:

I don't know how you shoe horned that v6 in there but well done! You could always do a removable a frame wreaker setup for the bed giving the option of a pickup and wreaker...it was something I was looking at doing 

Finally I'm not the only one using right fake engine. What solution for front axle did you decide to use?

18 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

You could always do a removable a frame wreaker setup for the bed giving the option of a pickup and wreaker...it was something I was looking at doing 

Thank you for suggestion!

15 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Finally I'm not the only one using right fake engine. What solution for front axle did you decide to use?

High five! :iamded_lol: Front suspension - double wishbone with old gear rack

49790093281_135e5cab80_z.jpg

And now some updates:

49790093946_a8dab0fa9c_z.jpg

49789550908_ffd7b696f1_z.jpg

Bodywork almost ready, except rear part and some details. Working steering wheel and 2-speed gearbox and rear limited slip differential in the rear live axle.

49790409187_26abbeeff0_z.jpg

But I don’t really like the proportions and I don’t know what to do with it  :look:

49789550643_8098ff5cf4_z.jpgTC18 WIP by Alexey Tikhvinsky, on Flickr

So many clever solutions! But indeed, the final look is not up to expectations..

You could try and slide that #1 panel behind the front wheel one stud forward along with the door hinge, sensibly straighten up the windshield and make the door one stud shorter.

9 hours ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

You could try and slide that #1 panel behind the front wheel one stud forward along with the door hinge, sensibly straighten up the windshield and make the door one stud shorter.

Agreed, I would even consider to shorten the engine (V6 --> V4) also going for a shorter hood with the Panel #13/14 instead of #17/18?

3 hours ago, Jundis said:

Agreed, I would even consider to shorten the engine (V6 --> V4) also going for a shorter hood with the Panel #13/14 instead of #17/18?

This way will be much better!

I liked the first images of the front, but the sideview doesn't really match it in my opinion. I thought you were building something like this: 

119434_b_61d67dfceaf83708.jpg

In that case the hood is not sloped down and your windscreen should be more upright.

I don't know if you have enough height left to fit in the space limits. Anyway, keep up the good work, good luck.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

If you’re willing to consider other body styles, your current side profile is actually a pretty good match for a hot hatch, like a VW GTI. Would probably just have to lower the suspension a bit (easier said than done, of course). The front end actually isn’t too far off from the ‘80s GTI (Picture linked below). Just a thought!

https://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom/1168-driving-through-history-volkswagen-golf-gti

Edited by HoodRacer

@Cumulonimbus IMHO it is very difficult to make mudguards from Ford F-1 with LEGO parts at that scale...if you have any ideas, they are always welcome.

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

@Cumulonimbus IMHO it is very difficult to make mudguards from Ford F-1 with LEGO parts at that scale...if you have any ideas, they are always welcome.

I think your not far off, reducing the width of the cabin by a stud on both sides will make a big difference (if your chassis allows it). Moving the cab a couple of studs forward, extending the rear overhang a bit and making the windscreen more upright are some of the other changes I would consider.

But it is your party and remember that it doesn't have to be an exact replica of an existing car. You can take as much design freedom as you need or want. Look forward to the end result of this build.

35 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I think your not far off, reducing the width of the cabin by a stud on both sides will make a big difference (if your chassis allows it). Moving the cab a couple of studs forward, extending the rear overhang a bit and making the windscreen more upright are some of the other changes I would consider.

But it is your party and remember that it doesn't have to be an exact replica of an existing car. You can take as much design freedom as you need or want. Look forward to the end result of this build.

I was thinking about making Ford F-1 hotrod longer period of time (for me not for TC since they are wider - about 2m wide), but it is postponed because there are no Mustang wheels available where I live (and wanted to have all my MOCs in 1:15 scale like my Unimog, Fastrac which is under redesign...).

Kind regards

Edited by I_Igor

On 4/20/2020 at 8:43 PM, apachaihapachai said:

This model definitely looks better when shortened.

On 4/19/2020 at 12:34 AM, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

So many clever solutions! But indeed, the final look is not up to expectations..

Thank you, guys! I tried to shorten the hood yesterday, but it cause some problems with steering wheel (less space to make it working). Still tinkering all thigs around shortened V4 engine.

On 4/20/2020 at 9:30 PM, Cumulonimbus said:

I liked the first images of the front, but the sideview doesn't really match it in my opinion. I thought you were building something like this: 

In that case the hood is not sloped down and your windscreen should be more upright.

I don't know if you have enough height left to fit in the space limits. Anyway, keep up the good work, good luck.

On 4/21/2020 at 11:27 AM, I_Igor said:

14 hours ago, Silvavasil said:

@SilenWin Maybe you should create a Ford F-100 V8 55-56 y.e. from this?

Old Ford F-series is too curvy for me, my skills are nit enough :wacko:

I was thinking about something similar to VW Golf or some Group B rally-car.

Another option with big fake engine - to make a rat-rod with open front part with engine. Will try all options a bit later. Again thank you all for support! :pir-huzzah2:

I decided to take a break from trying to shorten pickup and that's what happened as a result:

This is kinda rat-rod and so far I plan to build it for now. Building process began much easier than its predecessor, so I decided to postpone pickup for a while.

At this moment the front axle, steering and fake engine are ready and I really like how this steering system works. The first time I saw such a system was Lipko's hot-rod and I was delighted with it. My version is more compact due the scale, but much less elegant. But it works and that is good news :pir-grin:

One of the options for bodywork is reddish-brown body with white roof and I'm still thinking about 2-speed gearbox (maybe at the cost of a passenger seat)

What do you think, guys?

After several days of procrastination, I finally finished building the hot rod! It was a great challenge for me to place all mechanisms into the flat chassis (keeping in mind size restrictions). First chassis version was longer then 45 studs :pir-grin:

I have only a few photos of the building process left, so the bulk of the photos of the finished model will be in the first post.

IPV7Fkb9aRk.jpg

HUFU8lvKsmA.jpg

This is awesome. It has the functions, it has the looks and most of all, it is totally original!