LegoDW

Hogwarts Express 75955 moc. With Pictures

Thought I would share my Hogwarts express MOC.  Been working on this off and on for the last 9 months.  This set was the first steam engine TLG has offered since coming out of my dark ages.  MOC is from two sets, a small bricks and pieces order (red windows) and some spare brick from my collection.  All Hogwarts Express stickers and such have been removed from train. 

Station, set came with a very nice cut thru section of a station.  Seamed just to nice to not use.  MOC is basically mirror building one set, adding a few platform sections and connecting them together.

49781800593_bac0b3fa9d_c.jpg

49782340476_d453f77dde_c.jpg

Engine; Changed out the front boiler cover to a non printed one, added 2 studs to the lenght of engine, swapped out the black plate for yellow to match rest of train,and changed out all the Technic connectors to standard magnetic bumpers.  Rebuilt front bumper.

49781800758_c8e7e3a4bc_c.jpg

This picture worth all the headaches getting the pictures to display correctly.  

49782340636_c6d8e5a6a0_c.jpg

Tender; basically rebuilt the whole thing.  Added power functions motor and IR receiver, magnetic bumpers (magnetic bumper swap for whole train).  Increased the length to match the motor.  For the Engine and Tender was going for a classic O-27 scale proportions.  That is what I had as a kid and still looks good to me.  Mind the cable, usually its tucked into the Combine car better.

49782340731_6c68167d2b_c.jpg

Combine Car.  MOC.  Front section holds the PF battery. Rear section for passenger seating.  Added a bit of detail to the under carriage as thought the original build looked a little plain.  Duel yellow stripping inspired from previous version of this set.  Reworked the roof to added windows.  Inspired by American Wild West Coaches.

49781801063_b1d4e747a3_c.jpg

49782664757_5a61bea6e1_c.jpg

Coaches, they are stock less the roof, yellow strips and under carriage bits.

49781801283_9d629bce8c_c.jpg

Observation car: MOC.  Built to match rest of train.  Opened up the rear for observation area. 

49781801343_ca0c25a3b7_c.jpg

Here is a photo of the complete train.  Was tricky getting the yellow lines to line up between everything.  Mind the mess under the table and on our layout.  With the whole COVID-19 mess, kids are home and layout getting a lot of play.  

49782665057_6fa2d08a17_c.jpg

Future plans for the train may include swapping put the Tender motor for a motor actually in the engine (like the Emerald Knight).  Other than that very happy with the build and expect to be running it for years.  

Edited by LegoDW
Pictures fixed. Apologies for issues.

I can't see the pictures. Is it just for me or are the pics not working?

I really would like to see them, since I have two sets lying around as well, that wait to be mocced :-)

Quick update on this moc.  Hopefully you can see the pictures attached this time.

Overall really did not like the look of this moc.  Rebuild it more to a traditional building, (apologies no picture) and still didn't like it.  Took it all apart and used set 7997 as my inspiration. Color choices were limited to bricks on hand.    Like this one much better.  Do plan on going back someday and cleaning things up a bit, maybe change out some colors.  The walk way colors on the original set (brown and drak gary) IMO never matched well.  This continues for my moc...that will be one of the first things I change.

Anyhow, thought I would share.  Hope inspires others to do even better!

51052391931_cfaf5142b0_w.jpgIMG_3306 by Bill battles, on Flickr

Overview, Station services 3 track, Walkway connects middle platform to station.  Campground in front of station.

51052392011_de5809c468_w.jpgIMG_3307 by Bill battles, on Flickr

If you look really hard you can see bits of the ot the original set in there.  Red was the only color I had slope of this size in volume.  Didn't have any corners so that is why the gray tiles were added.  Design varys from 7997 as base is all one level and arches in the front.  The clock and station sign made in into the moc.  Personal favorite is the Grandma sharing a milkshake with her grandson on the roof.

51052474907_29848d39c3_w.jpgIMG_3309 by Bill battles, on Flickr

Extended the platform, added some benches and two roof sections.  The modified 4 by 6 plates are not a favorite.  Prefer ones with full studs.  Will be changing these out when parts are available.  

Had to check on those red slopes with the blue flags.  Yep, the are official Lego.

https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=3297px18&in=S

Edited by LegoDW
Added comments