Sign in to follow this  
Henchmen4Hire

With Speed Champions no longer being City / Town scale-

Is this the new place to post Speed Champions MOCs?

The switch to 8-wide was the greatest news I ever heard, I think I started building at that size a few years before Speed Champions even existed yet. Though admittedly, the lack of feedback on 8-wide MOCs over the years has made me realize I'm probably the only person who actually likes the scale.

Christopher Stamp (SC Lead Designer) says one of the reasons the switch was made was because of constant community feedback "from day one" that the cars were too thin...well, I don't believe that at all. The 6-wide MOCs consistently get tons more attention than anything 8-wide. City fans want cars that fit in their cities, it's understandable.

Another reason given for the change is because the new scale facilitates more accurate car designs. I completely agree, that's exactly why I went with 8-wide back then.

I think people who are into City scale aren't necessarily into supercars or their hyper detail or authenticity, but more into abstract vehicles that look good enough in their City displays. The hyper details they focus on are in the buildings, not the vehicles. I don't think Speed Champions has even tenuous ties to City anymore, and can probably be considered a Special Theme now.

What about you, have you seen a surge of popularity for 8-wide cars since the new scale launched?

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

I don't buy cars that don't fit into my city.  8 wide I would buy only if it were a huge construction vehicle like a dump truck that isn't really supposed to fit on a road.

I get the impression that's the general sentiment. However, I did buy some of the 6-wide Speed Champions stuff to make them 8-wide (which requires a trip to BrickLink).

I think it would be more attractive to fans of 6-wide to buy 8-wide cars to convert, since you need less parts to make the conversion.

14 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

I think it would be more attractive to fans of 6-wide to buy 8-wide cars to convert, since you need less parts to make the conversion.

Current 2020 Speed Champions are kind of overpriced, especially the Lambo set, €60 for 2 cars is just a lot.

Also this new 6 wide base piece might be a bit too wide for most "City" cars, but it can work for vans/trucks.

65634.jpg

City has 2 different 2-Car sets from 2020 for either €20 or €25, obviously simpler but closer to 6-wide Speed Champion scale.

Also a new car base for those , but the downside on that is different wheel pins compared to Speed Champion wheels.

65202.jpg

But that's just me, I don't need hyper realistic shaped cars based on real models, but I can see the advantage of 8-wide there.

I also don't like stickered headlights.

I did buy the 2019 Ferrari F40 and Porsche 911 cars as they still fit in City as road cars, but the 2020 cars are too big for that.

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Current 2020 Speed Champions are kind of overpriced, especially the Lambo set, €60 for 2 cars is just a lot.

What's interesting about that is that sometimes I needed around 100 more pieces per car to make an 8-wide than a 6-wide.

When I bricklinked all the parts for my 8-wide cars, the total was roughly $30-$40US per car. I think LEGO is expensive to begin with, but after having built 8-wides, I think getting 2 whole cars at that scale for $50US is a sweet deal. The single 8-wides being only $20US is amazing.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

8 hours ago, Henchmen4Hire said:

What's interesting about that is that sometimes I needed around 100 more pieces per car to make an 8-wide than a 6-wide.

When I bricklinked all the parts for my 8-wide cars, the total was roughly $30-$40US per car. I think LEGO is expensive to begin with, but after having built 8-wides, I think getting 2 whole cars at that scale for $50US is a sweet deal. The single 8-wides being only $20US is amazing.

Wait until you start building medieval.  You think $30-40 per car is bad?  How about a cart drawn by 4 goats? That's a $160 cart and it doesn't even have an engine!