WesternOutlaw

Grave Stone Ghost Train

indexed.gif

The Ghost Train

It's five minutes until the clock of the Abandoned Station strikes Midnight... Tick... Tick... Tick...

In the distance, an eerie light appears from beyond the horizon. The stong smell of burning coal permiates the air. You hear a bell ringing in your head... Ding... Ding... Ding... or do you? Is it merely your imagination playing tricks on you, or do you spy a mysterious black steam engine in the distance? And are those flames that you see burning within it's boiler? - or a burning for mystery within your soul?

Is it the legendary Ghost Train on it's way to Grave Stone Station? Perhaps... Do you believe? Because if you don't, it may leave you to rot in Grave Stone...

ghosttrain2x500.jpg

You may see the Ghost Train tomorrow evening, if you've still got your ticket.

Yes, you did build it! And from what i can tell, it looks great. Nice job on the introduction and photo editing too, gives a really neat mysterious feel. I look forward to seeing it closer.

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Oh! What did I do with my ticket?? :cry_sad:

Awesome teaser, Brickster! Can't wait until the ghost reveals itself. :thumbup:

Your photo illustration is fanatstic. It gives people a sense of mystrey. I will be looking forward to wait for the train's arrival if it ever comes :tongue:

Where can I find the ticket? :wink:

Wow. What a cool start. :thumbup:

First I thought: "What the heck - I can´t see anything. :angry: Didn´t he look at the picture before posting it? It´s much too dark."

Then I had a look at the text. :blush:

Very well done! I can´t wait to see the real thing.

Although I´m not sure I will take a ride. :look:

Diaphanousness ON!

Hmmm... where did you get all those transparent bricks from? I especially like that transparent 9V motor! :wink: Just kidding.

Looks like it's a beautiful steam engine you've built! Can't wait to see the whole thing better!

Edited by legotrainfan

A really promising image. The light system fire seems really cool, can't wait to see it !

Wicked MOC once again, Brickster! (Or would you prefer The Brickster?) A very haunting intro you've given us, a delightfully creepy taste of what seems to be a wonderful creation.

I'll be holding on to my ticket tight,

All the way 'till tomorrow night! :grin:

~Peace

Edited by iamded

Hmmm... where did you get all those transparent bricks from? I especially like that transparent 9V motor! :wink: Just kidding.

Looks like it's a beautiful steam engine you've built! Can't wait to see the whole thing better!

It would be awesome if he made a train out of nothing but trans elements.

Will we be able to see the MOC more clearly?

Wow! Now this looks exciting!

Put my ticket into the safe - can't wait to take a ride on this baby once I've seen it 'for real' :laugh:

BTW - I found another ticket! I'd sell it for 1.000.000 Bricks to anybody interested :tongue:

Benny

Well, Vaders_son, if I did that, I would have about -985000 bricks left!

I wonder if anyone here has a million bricks...

Thanks everyone for the great feedback.

First I thought: "What the heck - I can´t see anything. Didn´t he look at the picture before posting it? It´s much too dark."

Then I had a look at the text.

Yes, intentionally done to create a more "ghostly train". I stumbled upon the thought by accident when I was trying to photo edit the picture.

A really promising image. The light system fire seems really cool, can't wait to see it !

Thanks Jipay. It's always great to see you participating/commenting on my Grave Stone MOCs. You're the only one that picked up (or at least commented) on the boiler.

I got the idea from this train after a Ghost Town Tour I went on last Halloween. I was amazed at how large the train was, and the destroyed boiler added to the spooky look. I've been wanting to implement the idea for some time now.

ghosttrain2.jpg

It would be awesome if he made a train out of nothing but trans elements.

There's one posted on Brickshelf. I'm not real fond of all trans elements. I like black much better. Here's a picture:

ghosttrain1.jpg

Will we be able to see the MOC more clearly?

Perhaps if you check back later... But make sure you watch closely.:skull:

Since the quality of this picture isn't very good I can't wait to see some pics! :sweet:

I thought the quality was pretty nice KD - that is for a Ghost Train.

From the darkest of tunnels within the mysterious Shadow Mountains, where a number of unfortunate miners have met their doom, the lantern of the Ghost Train shines a bright light as it cuts through the darkness. Glowing crimson flames can be seen eminating through its boiler as your eyes focus on the ornate gold lettering of the tender which reads, "Grave Stone", with the unlucky numbers 423 on its engine. No one seems to drive the mysterious engine, yet it approaches the Abandoned Station feverishly. "Why has it come"? you wonder with strange curiosity; yet more importantly, where is its destination? Do you dare hop aboard the Ghost Train? :skull:

train7x500x2.jpg The Ghost Train, 4-4-0 Steam Engine w/ Light-Up Boiler

Fantastic job! I especially like the use of that radar dish thing on the front, it looks great. Another awesome backstory too. I still got my ticket!

~Peace

Now for some "behind the boiler" images:

The whole train:

01-whole2.jpg

Engine #423:

02-engineside.jpg

The front end with radar dish:

03-front.jpg

This one's for you BatBrick, a bat bell on one of the smokers:

04-top.jpg

One of my favorite features of the engine, the light-up boiler:

05-boiler.jpg

The web opens, revealing the inner boiler:

05-boiler1.jpg

Now check this out, the lit boiler:

06-boiler2.jpg

The light brick is on the other side of the engine:

12-plug1.jpg

And plugs into the battery box:

13-plug2.jpg

A simple tender with large Grave Stone decal:

09-tender1.jpg

And working hatch/secret coal compartment:

11-tendertop.jpg

The whole train at a different angle (during the day):

bestlargeeditx768x489.jpg

About the Lighting Mechanism

I had thought about using the regular train lighting system to light the boiler as it moves (which would not have been difficult). The problem with the 9V light is that it's very dim on low speeds, and shuts off when the train is not moving. I wanted the boiler flames to stay on for taking pictures, so decided to use the classic battery box/light kit. In addition, as an after thought, I could have put some small shutters over the light brick plug to cover the yellow brick when not plugged in. I didn't want to rebuild the side though, so decided not to.

Inspirations

As mentioned previously, I got the open/destroyed boiler idea from this great ghost train. It really looked scary after it got dark:

ghosttrain2.jpg

The Grand Canyon Express provided much of the inspiration behind the overall look of the train and matching tender:

steam2.jpg

As well as the old 340 engine at Knott's Berry Farm:

knotts.jpg

and lots of research on Brickshelf. This was one of my longest designed MOCs in terms of building time. Having failed miserable at trains in the past, I'm really pleased with this one.

What's Next?

I plan to expand the Grave Stone Train sub-theme by adding one-two more train cars, and some train structures to go with the collection. I look forward to sharing images of the entire collection. And thank you all for the wonderful comments and feedback.

Your Ghost Train simply looks amazing, TheBrickster!

100000... % perfect! I really :wub: :wub: :wub: it!

I really like the cob webs and the light brick - that gives the train a very freightened outlook! And all the details - :oh: !!!!

If you include a ghost and a ghost train conductor - and perhaps a freightened train worker - I immediately would buy it if it would be sold! If only TLG releases something similar to that - that would be awesome :oh: !

Very, very well done, The Brickster :thumbup: !

I can't wait to see pics of your train car(s). Will there be a train car which will be suitable to your brilliant Ghost Town? Perhaps one with two ghost cowboys playing cards in the train car :laugh: (That isn't meant funny!)?

BTW: What's now with the interior of your Abandonned Station?! I didn't receive an answer yet :cry_sad: .

Klaus-Dieter

Really good. I like the whole story, images and build up, very well thought out.

Look forward to seeing more on this theme. :classic:

If you include a ghost and a ghost train conductor - and perhaps a freightened train worker - I immediately would buy it if it would be sold!

I wanted to focus on the train itself this go around, but I haven't forgot about the train crew. I plan to make them separate.

I can't wait to see pics of your train car(s). Will there be a train car which will be suitable to your brilliant Ghost Town? Perhaps one with two ghost cowboys playing cards in the train car

One or two cars only - I've got some ideas for some train structures. Great idea for the ghost cowboys to play cards!

BTW: What's now with the interior of your Abandonned Station?! I didn't receive an answer yet :cry_sad: .

Sorry KD. I haven't got around to answering. I plan to comment on your miners as well. I've been focussed on this Ghost Train for some time and even trying to take better pictures.

A dark and mysterious Ghost Train.... a very fine idea, a very nice presentation and a very neat MOC indeed. :thumbup:

The engine looks very fine and the damaged boiler´s brilliant. The tender´s also very nice.... I wonder what kind of

combustible could be found under that hatch.... :oh:

Brickster, I am so impressed by your Ghost Train. The whole train send across a great message, Superb Outstanding! :sweet: The whole look and feel is perfect. By using black to illustrate the train is a good thing. Black is great! The light brick, is defintely a smart one :tongue:

Overall, I love this train very much! :thumbup: