Matt Elder

Introduction to Digital LEGO Interview with Pennyforge

G'day Everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Recently sat down with @pennyforge for an interview following a presentation he did on digital LEGO at London AFOLs. He goes through an introduction to digital modelling, rendering and instruction creation, comparing the pros and cons of popular digital tools like LDD, LDCad and Stud.io. I learnt a lot from the presentation so thought it had to be captured so others could also see it.

We cover his letters to LEGO script 

We also cover his Voxel script 

Would love to hear anyones thoughts. Anything you learned from it?

Edited by Matt Elder
add tags

3 minutes ago, Philo said:

Excellent, thanks you both for sharing!

Not a problem - glad you enjoyed it. @pennyforge really knows his stuff and really generous with the community!

You managed to make a whole presentation about LEGO digital building and rendering without mentioning Mecabricks once. Good effort. I may be really bad at marketing :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Scrubs said:

You managed to make a whole presentation about LEGO digital building and rendering without mentioning Mecabricks once. Good effort. I may be really bad at marketing :pir-grin:

To be quite frank, I love what Mecabricks aspires to be but the user interface leaves a lot to be desired. 

33 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

To be quite frank, I love what Mecabricks aspires to be but the user interface leaves a lot to be desired. 

I cannot really let you say that. It is similar to other leading industry software on the contrary of the other old looking LEGO app including stud.io It also supports touch screen and works perfectly on tablets. After of course, you have the right to not like the software and prefer other options. Anyway I don’t want to hijack the thread. I just though it was weird that nothing was mentioned (in good or bad) about it when it provides state of the art tools to render LEGO models and is widely used as well by the LEGO community.

Edited by Scrubs

42 minutes ago, Scrubs said:

I cannot really let you say that. It is similar to other leading industry software on the contrary of the other old looking LEGO app including stud.io It also supports touch screen and works perfectly on tablets. After of course, you have the right to not like the software and prefer other options. Anyway I don’t want to hijack the thread. I just though it was weird that nothing was mentioned (in good or bad) about it when it provides state of the art tools to render LEGO models and is widely used as well by the LEGO community.

I will reply in the mecabricks thread. 

6 hours ago, Scrubs said:

There is a mention of Mecabricks at 4:46. The focus of the talk was offline tools due to the nature of the way work occurs. More than happy to have a chat with you about Mecabricks.