Hi,

TC18 is a great contest and made me register at Eurobricks. Thanks Jim!

I aim to build a Trabant 601 (wiki)

Like the original it features front wheel drive, a two cylinder engine, and a horizontally placed gear stick close to the steering wheel. The front mounted engine provides plenty of interior space.

The wheelhub design is taken from @sirslayer

Trabi_WIP01.JPG

Trabi_WIP02.JPG

Trabi_WIP03.JPG

Oh, yeah! I spent my childhood in a 601 estate... my parents crossed the Eastern side of Europe with it (3 kids in the trunk), good memories. :sweet: Go Trabi, go! 

Edit: welcome btw, strong start. :classic:

Edited by agrof

Nice! I was daily driving one a few years ago!
Can't wait to see what you come up with, but it looks promising already!

1) Is it legal to connect the slim bevel 20 tooth gear to the differential like you do?

2) What holds those grey triangle liftarms?

Edited by Parazels

34 minutes ago, Parazels said:

2) What holds those grey triangle liftarms?

This

gDTwhzuU1osA11-Egy01i5VQdaFX2Ri09R0ym7E1

9 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

This

gDTwhzuU1osA11-Egy01i5VQdaFX2Ri09R0ym7E1

It's illegal. This part is not made for holding Technic liftarms.

Just now, Parazels said:

You gonna write him a ticket? Lol.... :laugh:  com'on man, lighten up.  

I, for one, am enjoying this build so far.  Great functions in a small space and visually, at least so far it looks to be shading up nicely. 

5 minutes ago, Parazels said:

I beg to differ. Those are perfectly fine to hold 2 half sized liftarms together. Just not the way it is done here.

He could be using those. They would allow the pin to go all the way through and this would certainly be more efficient. 

Because, in the end, the most important thing is that it works, legal or not. Isn't it? In that sense, I'm also concerned with the 2 bevels facing each other...

12 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

You gonna write him a ticket? Lol.... :laugh:  com'on man, lighten up.  

I, for one, am enjoying this build so far.  Great functions in a small space and visually, at least so far it looks to be shading up nicely. 

Nerds you are right, it is a question of creativity and besides that it holds stiffer than with this 

5567-src.jpg

@Parazels you have to loosen up a bit...

16 minutes ago, 1980SomethingSpaceGuy said:

...the most important thing is that it works, legal or not. Isn't it?

I doubt it works. Those triangles can easily fall off, because those castrated 1.5 pins are made for connecting Technic + System parts, 

not for Technic + Technic!

9 minutes ago, Parazels said:

I doubt it works. Those triangles can easily fall off, because those castrated 1.5 pins are made for connecting Technic + System parts, 

It’s a high friction fit and it works. I’ve tried stuff like this before.

Edited by Bartybum

Just now, Bartybum said:

It’s a high friction fit. Get over it.

Ok, build halfbaked models, if this illegal Technics is so good for you!

Hahaha!

2 hours ago, Parazels said:

1) Is it legal to connect the slim bevel 20 tooth gear to the differential like you do?

It works without stressing the parts, so I’d argue that yes it’s legal.

1 minute ago, Parazels said:

Ok, build halfbaked models, if this illegal Technics is so good for you!

Hahaha!

I mean, it’s literally not half baked. It’s a strong and stiff connection. If you’re gonna throw the book at OP then you should have some proof that it’s an illegal connection.

Edited by Bartybum

Just now, Bartybum said:

I mean, it’s literally not half baked. It’s a strong and stiff connection.

This "stiff connection" will fall off after the first stress test.

Just now, Parazels said:

This "stiff connection" will fall off after the first stress test.

Prove it

35 minutes ago, Parazels said:

My bad for even starting it off.  I will stop.  But I will say this.  I don't really think we should take feedback from others with no proven building ability all that seriously.  So not even worth our breath.  If this guy is claiming a weak connection with these parts then he hasn't had enough building experience for us to worry about his opinion.  I have no claim of being a great builder myself, and in the last few years  have not been able to really build at all, and even I know this is a very strong connection.  

Just now, nerdsforprez said:

My bad for even starting it off.  I will stop.  But I will say this.  I don't really think we should take feedback from others with no proven building ability all that seriously.  So not even worth our breath.  If this guy is claiming a weak connection with these parts then he hasn't had enough building experience for us to worry about his opinion.  I have no claim of being a great builder myself, and in the last few years  have not been able to really build at all, and even I know this is a very strong connection.  

I agree 100%

Let's return to the Trabant, shall we please? 

@Go-Kart I like the fact that you go outside the box for technical implementations, innovative thinking. Keep it up!

Thanks for all the feedback and I'm happy to bring back good memories to some people. I wish I could build one in dark azure with a yellow door to make it really the Trabi of my family :laugh:. However, the Trabant's engineers could also not just bricklink missing pieces and so do I.

Do not get me wrong; but IMHO only positive characteristic of trabant is that it has straight lines that could be replicated with Lego parts without much complications. For all those "nostalgia" about Eastern cars I'll be reserved, because from my experience there were a positive things only like this example: Yugo 45 had one good feature - rear window heating system, so when it broke down and you have to push it in winter at least your hands were freezing 

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Do not get me wrong; but IMHO only positive characteristic of trabant is that it has straight lines that could be replicated with Lego parts without much complications.

Do not forget that with Lego I also replicate the originals material: Plastic!

For all those "nostalgia" about Eastern cars I'll be reserved, because from my experience there were a positive things only like this example: Yugo 45 had one good feature - rear window heating system, so when it broke down and you have to push it in winter at least your hands were freezing 

Once I asked my dad why the Wartburg has a trunk handle: To grab it firmly and throw it to the garbage

7 minutes ago, Go-Kart said:

Do not forget that with Lego I also replicate the originals material: Plastic!

Once I asked my dad why the Wartburg has a trunk handle: To grab it firmly and throw it to the garbage

You are right in both cases :thumbup:

But I think you can make better trabant.

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Do not get me wrong; but IMHO only positive characteristic of trabant is that it has straight lines that could be replicated with Lego parts without much complications. For all those "nostalgia" about Eastern cars I'll be reserved, because from my experience there were a positive things only like this example: Yugo 45 had one good feature - rear window heating system, so when it broke down and you have to push it in winter at least your hands were freezing 

If you have to drive a Trabant i see how people think negatively of it, but when you just drive one for fun it's truely a experience, and not a negative one!
They're really no less then a 2CV, Mini or a 500 when it comes down to it.

Well when I was a child my parents best men had mini Cooper and driving in that car with small wooden sports wheel through curvy roads was cool, but other mentioned cars (specially CV2) gave you feeling like you were on small boat in the middle of the ocean during storm...but I think the best is to go back to topic. I would like if @Go-Kart could use new differential from 42109 set on his MOC.