Thanks again for another contest. It's great to see a lot of participation, and a lot of creative ideas. I enjoy contests with a size constraints, so it was just a matter of time before I came up with something.

I am a big fan LMP race cars, particularly those open cockpit cars of the early aughts. I also very much enjoy some of the early 90s cars as well; the Peugoet 905, Jaguar XJR-14, and Nissan R91 are a couple of my favorites. For this contest, I wanted to do design something that paid homage to these great Group C cars that were a high spot of endurance racing. 

I have a general idea of where the project will go, and I plan to have modular construction much like a real LMP car. Just in case the transmissions fails, I'll need to replace it so the 24hr race can continue. :classic:

The car will have mid-mounted V8, steering with a HOG and steering wheel, and a removable bodywork. We'll see what else.

I have started with a monocoque, and it's pretty close to where I want it.

49758951306_5b72a17d89_b.jpg

Here we go!

Edited by Thirdwigg

7 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I have a general idea of where the project will go, and I plan to have modular construction much like a real LMP car. Just in case the transmissions fails, I'll need to replace it so the 24hr race can continue. :classic:

and this is already interesting

Looks promising, I like these type of race cars, so following with great interest! :sweet:

12 hours ago, agrof said:

Looks promising, I like these type of race cars, so following with great interest! :sweet:

Super! I hope I don’t disappoint. The engine and rear axle are almost done. Working on the bodywork now. 

Veny nice usage of  these 11228.t1.pngin the engine!

I am learning a lot of things with this contest!

19 hours ago, vascolp said:

Veny nice usage of  these 11228.t1.pngin the engine!

I am learning a lot of things with this contest!

Thanks, I took the idea from @zux.

OK, the chassis is about done. The engine connects to the rear axle, then slides into the monocoque.

800x600.jpg

Here is the profile with the attached front splitter and draft 1 of the rear wing.

800x450.jpg

Looks promising! Maybe it is because of the missing bodywork but the wheelbase looks a bit short to go 400 km/h down the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans.

3 hours ago, agrof said:

Yummi, those modules! Love it!

You bet. I wouldn’t do suspension, so I needed something. 

1 hour ago, zux said:

That last photo so nice already.

Perfect. Let’s keep going then. 

1 hour ago, Go-Kart said:

Looks promising! Maybe it is because of the missing bodywork but the wheelbase looks a bit short to go 400 km/h down the Mulsanne Straight at Le Mans.

I think I calculated correct. 22 studs for a 2800mm wheelbase. But don’t assume my my engineering abilities are good enough for 400km/h!

Bodywork is next...

First photo I was a bit hesitant, but seen from the side with the wheels on and the engine complete, it really starts looking very promising. I think black with dark-azure works well. The silver wheel covers work nicely here. I'd say so far in general it looks very "clean", and I like the modular approach. Also, indeed, nice engine :)

Curious how you will do the wheel arches :)

@Erik Leppen Thanks for the affirmation. I still have some unresolved issues, but I hope to solve them.

Wheel arches will be the parts from 42098, unless I can find another solution. 

OK, another update. The major panels are placed, and all the removable bodywork is working. I still don't like the side panels and cooling intakes, so that's next. Then off to the final internal cooling and duct work. And I'll need to add a little color; it's looking toooo blue.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Oh, it looks great. I like that it has modular body parts. Also, the engine looks well engineered.

Personally, I would add roof above the cockpit, but I guess it is just a matter of taste. And yes, some livery would add a lot to the look of the MOC, but I like that it is blue. 

31 minutes ago, Bluehose said:

I would like to see a building vidéo of this wonderful motor

I can post a couple more pictures. Glad you like it.

15 minutes ago, HorcikDesigns said:

Oh, it looks great. I like that it has modular body parts. Also, the engine looks well engineered.

Personally, I would add roof above the cockpit, but I guess it is just a matter of taste. And yes, some livery would add a lot to the look of the MOC, but I like that it is blue. 

The body parts were a non-negotiable for me. They're a little flimsy, but work.

I completely forgot about a roof. I'll work on that when I am adding some color.

Looks very good already :thumbup:, I agree with some additional color. Maybe white or orange middle section along the body?

Also, I might replace the small black panels at the cocpit, they blend the shape too much, thus the cocpit looks a bit oversized to me. I would give a try with azure there too (for uniform color body).

Edited by agrof

Oof, I really can’t say I’m a fan of the front. It looks too flat and smushed, and (along with the wheel rims and large cockpit windows) really makes the car look LMP-lite. I’d stick to Technic parts

Edited by Bartybum

This looks beautiful. Instantly recognizable as an LMP racer. Simple but solid. I like the azure + black colour scheme. Can you please share some pictures of the back.

Looks very cool @Thirdwigg, im getting more of a radical/saker kitcar/tracktoy vibe of it then a true LMP, but that is an absolute plus in my opinion, the small-ish scale of this contest i think is better suited to stylistiscly simple and elegant cars rather then the wing-fests that modern LMPs have become.

EDIT: or an Ultima!

2880-1800-crop-ultima-gtr-c9584210520162

Edited by vectormatic

20 hours ago, agrof said:

Looks very good already :thumbup:, I agree with some additional color. Maybe white or orange middle section along the body?

Also, I might replace the small black panels at the cocpit, they blend the shape too much, thus the cocpit looks a bit oversized to me. I would give a try with azure there too (for uniform color body).

Thanks. I agree with the panels on the cockpit. I have changed them. I'll play around with a little white and orange.

Thanks for the affirmation @ArsMan064

9 hours ago, Qukie said:

This looks beautiful. Instantly recognizable as an LMP racer. Simple but solid. I like the azure + black colour scheme. Can you please share some pictures of the back.

Yep, I'll post a picture soon.

@vectormatic yeah my goal is the older type LMPs, so I am happy you like it. The older LMPs seem to look like the radicals and such, so I guess the styling I am going for is working.

15 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Oof, I really can’t say I’m a fan of the front. It looks too flat and smushed, and (along with the wheel rims and large cockpit windows) really makes the car look LMP-lite. I’d stick to Technic parts

Hmmm, thanks. I am open to ideas for the front, though I am not interested in extending the front overhang. The older LMPs have such a thin wheel fairing, and a short, steep leadup to the wheel fairing. From the side the new LMPs look too much like a cartoon whale as the front pushes more air to the side rather than over. I hope to avoid that look. There seems to be some feedback that the cockpit needs some work, so I'll work on that too.

I'll post a picture of the LMP C without the wheel rims for some feedback as well.

Back soon....