SpinX125

[MOC] My city/train layout for 2020

I have for a long time, wanted to share some pictures from my LEGO city/train layout, but as you all know, a LEGO city is never completely finished, so now I choose to share anyway.

The project started in 2015 where I found interest for LEGO again as an AFOL, and started collecting trains, primarily 9V.  

Over time I have been able to make this layout.

There are still things missing in the city, empty building space next to the gas station, and the Modular houses must also be changed to custom buildings at some point.

I am also still missing to finish the harbor area, but it will probably come later :classic:

I don't know if the windturbine should stand there, but for now it does.

49758072112_0cfa377827_b.jpg1 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49758071957_005160aa7c_b.jpg2 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49757735351_a1f3bc9926_b.jpg3 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49758071002_069b05f66d_b.jpg4 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49757736801_11413a1e9b_b.jpg5 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49757207168_6759c8cbfd_b.jpg6 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49758068182_d5bfe5ab0e_b.jpg7 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49758067157_cf6975b848_b.jpg8 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49757738646_1c3799a21b_b.jpg9 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49758070572_9825e010fb_b.jpg10 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49757738541_61a8c7cf08_b.jpg11 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49757735256_a7a4c979fe_b.jpg12 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49757738376_4723cc696b_b.jpg13 by SpinX125, on Flickr

49758069742_941b1462b4_b.jpg14 by SpinX125, on Flickr

More pictures:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/137767198@N08/albums/72157713834197663

In some areas I have found inspiration from other builders and therefore credit must be given to them.

Inspiration found at:

This looks great.  Like that you have a couch in your Lego room!  Was not expecting the train round table.  Everything looks really good.  Like how your city is not too cluttered.

Few questions:

1) Which train set is your favorite, with so many would be hard to choose.  I am leaning toward your classic Santa Fe set, always liked those passenger cars.

2) How were you able to resist the Star Wars/Space and other themes.  Don't see a lot of Lego sets in your collection that aren't City/train related.

3) What is your favorite moc in your city.  For me its your train depot....it looks fantastic.

4) What inspired you to moc the Emerald Knight in Blue?  I have often thought of doing something similar in all black.

Wow, this a quite an impressive little lay-out. I love the train station and warehouse build next to it (in front of the lego engine shed).

What's funny: I was thinking of buying the shrimp shack and boat because I love how you could implement them to a regular lay-out. The only thing I have is that they feel more like something I would locate in some brakish river inlet, swamp-territory.

Keep us posted !

Awesome work! I think it's a good balance in size - everything has space to run and breathe, but it's still a fairly compact layout. Although there's plenty of accurate detail such as the different coloured sleepers and the harbour wall clutter, I wonder if you could add a few of the lineside features @Hod Carrier has been designing (even if they are UK outline, I'm sure you could take them as inspiration if nothing else).

And I'd love to see some trains running!

Nice job! I wish I could MOC like that. Then I wouldn't have to deal with what Lego gives to us through the City and Creator themes. The blue tender engine in the fourth and fifth picture looks kinda like Gordon from Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends.

Loving your train storage shelves, I've been thinking of something similar for a while.  Have you added groves into the shelves for the train wheels?  is that why some of the shelf is brown and some white?

Not a bad collection of Classic trains as well ;-)

On 4/11/2020 at 1:00 AM, LegoDW said:

This looks great.  Like that you have a couch in your Lego room!  Was not expecting the train round table.  Everything looks really good.  Like how your city is not too cluttered.

Few questions:

1) Which train set is your favorite, with so many would be hard to choose.  I am leaning toward your classic Santa Fe set, always liked those passenger cars.

2) How were you able to resist the Star Wars/Space and other themes.  Don't see a lot of Lego sets in your collection that aren't City/train related.

3) What is your favorite moc in your city.  For me its your train depot....it looks fantastic.

4) What inspired you to moc the Emerald Knight in Blue?  I have often thought of doing something similar in all black.

Thanks for your comment :classic:

1. My favorit train set must be 4563 "Load n Haul Railroad" for nostalgic reasons, my first 9V set, which i got back in 1991

2. I collect some of the Star Wars minifigures, but i only have some small sets, parts always end being used for moc's. Don't have space or money for everything, so i have to prioritize :sweet:

3. I think my favorit for now is the Radio-shop

4. The original Emerald night was to expensive on secondary marked, so startede making on in pure dark green, but thought dark blue will look nice also. 

On 4/11/2020 at 4:17 AM, DodgeDude5498 said:

Excellent layout! Keep us updated as you improve! ;)

On 4/11/2020 at 12:39 PM, *thomas* said:

Wow, this a quite an impressive little lay-out. I love the train station and warehouse build next to it (in front of the lego engine shed).

What's funny: I was thinking of buying the shrimp shack and boat because I love how you could implement them to a regular lay-out. The only thing I have is that they feel more like something I would locate in some brakish river inlet, swamp-territory.

Keep us posted !

Thanks. I hope to replace the "shrimp shack" by something custom at some point, but for now i think its fine :classic:

On 4/11/2020 at 12:56 PM, ColletArrow said:

Awesome work! I think it's a good balance in size - everything has space to run and breathe, but it's still a fairly compact layout. Although there's plenty of accurate detail such as the different coloured sleepers and the harbour wall clutter, I wonder if you could add a few of the lineside features @Hod Carrier has been designing (even if they are UK outline, I'm sure you could take them as inspiration if nothing else).

And I'd love to see some trains running!

Thank you. I will definitley look at your suggestions :sweet:

22 hours ago, Brandon Pea said:

Nice job! I wish I could MOC like that. Then I wouldn't have to deal with what Lego gives to us through the City and Creator themes. The blue tender engine in the fourth and fifth picture looks kinda like Gordon from Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends.

Thanks for your comment, instructions for the blue loco can be found here:

http://snakebyte.dk/lego/instructions/trains/steam_engines/bavarian/index.php

21 hours ago, carebear said:

I'm so jealous!!! this is just Aamzing!!!

Thank you :classic:

21 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

This looks great! My favorite parts are the roundhouse and turntable.

Thank you :classic:

17 hours ago, paul_delahaye said:

Loving your train storage shelves, I've been thinking of something similar for a while.  Have you added groves into the shelves for the train wheels?  is that why some of the shelf is brown and some white?

Not a bad collection of Classic trains as well ;-)

Thank you :classic: I have cut some thin "fibreboard" (i think its called) so it match the width between the train wheels, and glued them firmly.

Thus is a nice home layout you have here. Not to much space consuming but big enough to run your trains. And it is really well designed and decorated. I like that old train station set redesign!  And having managed to fit a roundhouse on such a small space  must have been a real challenge!

Wow! that's a very nice layout! I like the way the tan hangar on the far-left inside the rail curve is situated at an angle. The chain barrier in front of it is a great detail!

The train depot with the turntable is beautiful, and very inspiring.

Did you build the train storage shelf? It's the perfect way to store/show them.

Thank you for all the nice comments :-)

11 hours ago, Brixtof said:

Did you build the train storage shelf? It's the perfect way to store/show them.

Yes i build the shelf myself :sweet: