Sign in to follow this  
Blackheart Brit

A Dissertation on the new Tri-Corn with ponytail...maybe

So I excitedly scooped up three Pirate Girls yesterday at Walmart.  (Even better, they rung up at $1.22 each, I don't know, maybe Corona Virus Discount or something) I was REAL excited to get the new Hat with hair attached to it so my pirate with Tri-Cornered hats looked less bald.  Here it is:

49758142317_c91c37db14_c.jpg49758140697_59435fe38d_w.jpg

It really is a great piece and I am happy to have it. As i tried it around on many of my Pirate Minifigs I found it was not exactly great in a few nitpicky ways.  

image.jpeg   image.jpeg

1.  It is primarily made as Woman hair so it sweeps back on the sides with no sideburns, or sideburn nubs, Rey from star Wars oddly had sideburn bumps.  ManyPirate minis have sideburns or beard printed and there tends to be some gaps between Hair and printing.  Obviously they can't make a piece today and have it match every Minifig Face ever made. 

2. The hair color is light brown, not Blonde,  It is the same color as Thor from Endgame.  There are, as you can see from pics, Pirate who have the right brownish printed beards and stubble to match OK, but it turns out in my collection there are more Black eye brows, or black facial hair.  

In my own head and not supported by History or anything is how i view my Lego Pirates.  I see the tank top dudes and lesser, or poor pirates,  The Captains always have real ornate outfits and there are some mid-level priates,  I usually try to have tank top pirates in Bandanas and use the TriCorner hats for the more advanced Pirates.  Within the Soldiers realms the tricorner hat was a rank above Private like all the shako hat Soldiers.  As in the pic, this piece does look good on soldiers.  

I can't wait to get my Pirates of Barracuda Bay and I get the Brown TriCorn with Blonde hair.  It looks like same color hair but variety is always good.  

Do you have this piece yet?  Do you like it?  Am I the crazy one?

2 hours ago, Blackheart Brit said:

So I excitedly scooped up three Pirate Girls yesterday at Walmart.  (Even better, they rung up at $1.22 each, I don't know, maybe Corona Virus Discount or something) I was REAL excited to get the new Hat with hair attached to it so my pirate with Tri-Cornered hats looked less bald.  Here it is:

49758142317_c91c37db14_c.jpg49758140697_59435fe38d_w.jpg

It really is a great piece and I am happy to have it. As i tried it around on many of my Pirate Minifigs I found it was not exactly great in a few nitpicky ways.  

image.jpeg   image.jpeg

1.  It is primarily made as Woman hair so it sweeps back on the sides with no sideburns, or sideburn nubs, Rey from star Wars oddly had sideburn bumps.  ManyPirate minis have sideburns or beard printed and there tends to be some gaps between Hair and printing.  Obviously they can't make a piece today and have it match every Minifig Face ever made. 

2. The hair color is light brown, not Blonde,  It is the same color as Thor from Endgame.  There are, as you can see from pics, Pirate who have the right brownish printed beards and stubble to match OK, but it turns out in my collection there are more Black eye brows, or black facial hair.  

In my own head and not supported by History or anything is how i view my Lego Pirates.  I see the tank top dudes and lesser, or poor pirates,  The Captains always have real ornate outfits and there are some mid-level priates,  I usually try to have tank top pirates in Bandanas and use the TriCorner hats for the more advanced Pirates.  Within the Soldiers realms the tricorner hat was a rank above Private like all the shako hat Soldiers.  As in the pic, this piece does look good on soldiers.  

I can't wait to get my Pirates of Barracuda Bay and I get the Brown TriCorn with Blonde hair.  It looks like same color hair but variety is always good.  

Do you have this piece yet?  Do you like it?  Am I the crazy one?

It was most likely a pricing error as Walmart generally sells them for $3.44 (+ tax), at least in my area.  I just bought 15 today and the first two I opened were the Pirate lady.  I like the figure though it doesn't seem versatile enough to buy more than a couple.

I doubt the recolor in Pirates of Barracuda Bay will be the last recolor we get, especially now that Lego has recently started introducing new hairpiece recolors in the Lego Store "Build-a-Mini" stations on a fairly regular basis. Especially if that set sells well, we may get other color combinations for this piece that way in the future!

Of course, I have no idea what those might be, especially since tan is the only other color that the hairless tricorne hat has come in in the first place (and even then, only in one set!). At best, a dark brown hat might sort of come close to the retired classic brown. But moving out of classic colors there are plenty of other options—light grey, dark grey, white, dark tan, and even vivid colors like dark blue, dark red, and red could all be neat options for this piece.

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

I doubt the recolor in Pirates of Barracuda Bay will be the last recolor we get, especially now that Lego has recently started introducing new hairpiece recolors in the Lego Store "Build-a-Mini" stations on a fairly regular basis. Especially if that set sells well, we may get other color combinations for this piece that way in the future!

Of course, I have no idea what those might be, especially since tan is the only other color that the hairless tricorne hat has come in in the first place (and even then, only in one set!). At best, a dark brown hat might sort of come close to the retired classic brown. But moving out of classic colors there are plenty of other options—light grey, dark grey, white, dark tan, and even vivid colors like dark blue, dark red, and red could all be neat options for this piece.

Right, BAM Has lots of hair options, Maybe a tan hat with black hair, or brown hat with black hair!

Edited by Blackheart Brit

On 4/11/2020 at 5:09 AM, Blackheart Brit said:

I see the tank top dudes and lesser, or poor pirates, 

If we were taking historical accuracy into consideration, they appear to represent the sailors.

The sailors were paid less than the officers and therefore could not afford clothes as extravagant as the captain.

For example, Captain Silver has that nice red jacket whereas the crew, in some instances, are dressed in little more than rags.

image.png

I like the tricorne/hair piece as well! I try to use it quite often in my MOCs.

Here are some recent MOCs with the hat:

Spoiler

aspen-1.jpg

semaphore-1.jpg

naval-intelligence-office-1.jpg

I've thought about doing something with the Interchangeable Hat Wig method where I cut some hair off a girl hair piece and glue it to a tricorne. Haven't found the right girl hair to do it with yet....

Edited by evancelt