Hi,

I decided to join the fray of this competition. I justed needed inspiration for an interesting build. I first thought of making a transformer, but I didn't really get into that, so I'll save that for another day.
Then my boys wanted me to watch some Netflix cars show. There I saw the Plymouth XNR, a concept car from the sixties. Asymmetric, wacky design, big fins and curves all over:

920177_357747037670548_533463250_o.jpg?_

So here is my first attempt at getting some kind of bodywork with fins:

49756586473_134aa87329_c.jpg

Unfortunately the fins make the car 17 wide. So I am outside the box... @Jim: I assume that this disqualifies me for the TC18? Or do you count the fins as mirrors?

And a shot from the rear:

49756586213_76df82581d_c.jpg

I would not mind. I would put the fins in the same category as fender flares or aero pieces, that extend over the normal body of the car. But I am not the judge so...

Looks pretty good, those curves really are hard to replicate with bricks.

Edited by Gray Gear

wow amazing how you managed to capture the shape so well ! hopefully lets gets allowed as id love to see it finished

Today's update:

49761551912_e4f23f4cb3_c.jpg

It may not seem as much, but the whole bodywork is redesigned a couple of times to minimize the clutter and to fix the panels.

49761552147_39ba6480a8_c.jpg

It fits on the upper deck of the trailer :grin:

I am not too keen on the headlights, they are a little too large. Ideally I should have some 1.5 stud diameter transparant pieces... If anyone has a suggestion?

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

I was avoiding reading anything with a TC18 tag until I had the basics of my entry but having also watched the Netflix show I had to click when I saw the choice of car! 

Its instantly recognisable if you have seen the original, especially with the rear detail and bonnet scoop. I also like the way the grey half beams look like the instruments.

Regarding the headlights how does it look with 1x1 studs? I think too small might be better than too large as there is grille all around the lights on the prototype.

I see you have found a challenge that's fit for your building level :D With all the round shapes and a-symmetry, this will surely become interesting. Even if disqualified because of the width, it will still be a great entry.

It's a bit hard to judge without the wheels though. I'd like to see a quick sketch with a simple frame tacked on with where the wheels will be (how high and such).

Also, I'm not sure how you want to balance studless vs. studded, but right now the studded light-gray front is slightly out-of-style. Maybe you can use the Technic macaroni pieces for that. Also, on the reference, the front is slightly overhanging, while yours is perfectly vertical. With axles it may be easier to add the slight angle.

Also the reference photo you showed, seems to suggest the sides of the car bend slightly inwards a the front and rear ends (similar to the recently-announced Fiat 500 official set). It seems that your model is slightly too "square" (when seen from above). Same from the side-view, the mdidle seems to be taller than the front and rear ends, but in your model the top seems to be "flat".

But I'm not sure if anything can be done about that. I think flex axles (and angle connectors) will be very important in this design, and personally I'd suggest experimenting with more flex axles to suggest curves instead of panels, because maybe for this car, even panels are too "rectangular". Just thinking out loud here, no idea whether it would even work. It's always easy to criticize :)

On 4/11/2020 at 11:03 PM, Erik Leppen said:

I see you have found a challenge that's fit for your building level :D With all the round shapes and a-symmetry, this will surely become interesting. Even if disqualified because of the width, it will still be a great entry.

It's a bit hard to judge without the wheels though. I'd like to see a quick sketch with a simple frame tacked on with where the wheels will be (how high and such).

Also, I'm not sure how you want to balance studless vs. studded, but right now the studded light-gray front is slightly out-of-style. Maybe you can use the Technic macaroni pieces for that. Also, on the reference, the front is slightly overhanging, while yours is perfectly vertical. With axles it may be easier to add the slight angle.

Also the reference photo you showed, seems to suggest the sides of the car bend slightly inwards a the front and rear ends (similar to the recently-announced Fiat 500 official set). It seems that your model is slightly too "square" (when seen from above). Same from the side-view, the mdidle seems to be taller than the front and rear ends, but in your model the top seems to be "flat".

But I'm not sure if anything can be done about that. I think flex axles (and angle connectors) will be very important in this design, and personally I'd suggest experimenting with more flex axles to suggest curves instead of panels, because maybe for this car, even panels are too "rectangular". Just thinking out loud here, no idea whether it would even work. It's always easy to criticize :)

Thanks for the tips. I have made a new version with the macaroni pieces. It is more in style (and now part of the construction), but also more bulky...

The slight taper upwards in the front and back have been added, as is the taper in the front side.

21 hours ago, I_Igor said:

@Jeroen Ottens perhaps for smaller headlights (1.5 studs) you can use this

https://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-wheel-hub-11-2-x-8-with-centre-groove-42610

I plan to use them in one my future project Plymouth Cuda (1:15 - 17 studs wide...)

Thanks for the tip. If these parts were available in trans-clear or white it would be great... I've tried using the female connectors of the new CV-joints, but the 3L axle behind it gets in the way of the structure behind it.

Anyway, here is the next update:

49767797588_5c62238c32_c.jpg

2 hours ago, brickhead_07 said:

Wow, this looks epic! I love it!

Let's not revive an old topic unless you have something important to add to the conversation. Make sure to read the site rules.

1 hour ago, Milan said:

Let's not revive an old topic unless you have something important to add to the conversation. Make sure to read the site rules.

Ok,I'm sorry.

Edited by brickhead_07