jp-30

[MOC] Robby the Robot - Forbidden Planet (1956)

Been working on a MOC, Robby the Robot from "Forbidden Planet" (1956) and a host of other movies and TV shows. This design inspired the Lost In Space robot that it's often mistaken for, but Robby is much cooler.

All purist other than some cut stickers. I want to get one of the adult Belville blondie dolls after lockdown to better recreate the poster pose, rather than using the child one I had available.

A bit fragile in places, but I'll think how to sturdy it up over the next little while no doubt.

49755692306_6670723241_c.jpg
Robby the Robot MOC by jp-30, on Flickr

49756030527_2d486587c7_c.jpg

49755692416_abea90fbd9_c.jpg

8 hours ago, jp-30 said:

This design inspired the Lost In Space robot that it's often mistaken for, but Robby is much cooler. 

It probably doesn't help that he showed up in an episode of the show. Robby was called something like robotron on the show. 

Nice use of the Ninjago spinner dome. 

21 minutes ago, Gomek said:

nice build. What is the transparent piece used for the head?

2 hours ago, samurai-turtle said:

Nice use of the Ninjago spinner dome. 

Here you are.

This Robby is quite amazing... exactly what I had in memory about this wonderful old movie.

Thanks for all the kind words (and the front page mention), much appreciated. I have a few tweaks in mind, so when I get around to making any updates I'll add to this post.

Amazing job! Love the head design and pieces used.

This build went through a couple of major revisions / rebuilds. Ended up at a place where I was happy, and added a background build based on the look of the Forbidden planet movie poster. Had received some encouragement to make instructions and/or put it on Ideas, so went with the latter - a lot easier. ;) 

Ended up like this, but I had to remove the Belville doll for the submission as it's out of production.

50578262506_60d3630af3_z.jpg

The Ideas page is here: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/78fa5ac7-e869-4e8c-8ede-6988020d7f4b 

I found the project on Ideas, and I came to the Sci-Fi forum to make sure people were aware of it. I didn't expect to find you here. :laugh:

I posted about your project on the Ideas thread, in case anyone there wasn't aware. I really like your model, and I think it is quite possibly the best representation of Robby in Lego form that is possible. I truly hope it gets the votes!

PS: Not sure what the rules are here, but you might want to edit the title of your post to make it clear that you have an Ideas project now.

Edited by BrickHat

Thanks for the support and the kind words! Yeah, I've been here about 15 years or so ;) Cheers for the heads-up on Ideas posts, I'll check the rules and edit accordingly when I get a moment.