3. Bestoon Legacy
  4. UA-TT 
  5. DN-25 Treadable
  6. Sea Skiff 
  7. Fortitude "Lucky Lander" 
  8. Xyston-Class Star Destroyer (NEW)

NIGHT BUZZARD

Hi all

To celebrate the home release of Ep. IX here is one of the interesting vehicles form the movie.

The Night Buzzard was a modified Oubliette-class transport used by the Knights of Ren.

The Knights made several alterations to the Night Buzzard to better suit their tastes, such as altering the vessel's appearance to match their dark side aesthetic. The vessel's engines were also crudely modified to generate more thrust, although this took a toll on the insulation baffles, causing the Buzzard to spew noxious gas as it flew. It was well armed, with a forward laser cannon turret, a mid ship laser cannon turret, a rear heavy laser cannon turret, and rear-facing fixed laser cannons.

The Night Buzzard served as the home of the Knights of Ren, as well as their transport.

I have got most of the features in to this little model, although no noxious gas I’m afraid!  The angles of the sides and front have been achieved by using hinge bricks. They just happened to fit together nicely after a bit of playing around. 

It is a little bigger than maybe I would have liked but the build method dictated that but apart from that I am really pleased with how this one turned out.  It still fits on the display stand with the Knight Of Ren minifigure so it is not massive!  

I hope everyone is well in these trying times.  Luckily LEGO can keep us busy for a while.

Let me know what you think.

Jon

nightbuzzard1.jpegnightbuzzard2.jpegnightbuzzard3.jpegnightbuzzard4.jpegnightbuzzard5.jpegnightbuzzard6.jpegnightbuzzarddisplay.jpeg

Edited by obijon

Really nice job, as usual! The greebling and tiles makes it appear so much larger than it actually is, very smart.

Edited by mcphatty

Thanks guys.  

I would imagine the official set will be made with plates and have lots of gaps.  

As for the tiles and greebles it just would not look right with studs everywhere. You are right though in the photos the lack of studs does disguise its size somewhat.

On 4/8/2020 at 8:48 PM, m4st3rt3ch said:

Looks great. I hope 75284 will look as good as your mini.

Night Buzzard : legostarwars

I saw this MOC on Reddit - would be nice if LEGO came up with something like this but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by obijon

TIE DAGGER

This has been added from a previous thread.

The TIE/dg starfighter, also known as the TIE dagger, or the Sith TIE fighter, was a type of Sith affiliated TIE line starship that was forged in secret by forces under the command of the reborn Emperor Palpatine and seen in Ep. IX during the Battle of Exogol.

The new pointed wedge plates are perfect this little ship.  They also come in dark red and I was toying with adding some of these to the model to add the red edges to the panels but to hide them to show the right amount of red would have made the panels 3 studs thick and too wide so i ditched that idea.  I have managed to add the little gap between the panels and the light grey part at the back from the original design of the ship.  I have done this using clip plates and the 1 x1 round plate with bar.  Apart from that it is a simple build and once again it is on display with a minifig - the Sith Trooper.

Hope you like it.

Jon

tiedagger1.jpegtiedagger2.jpegtiedagger3.jpegtiedagger4.jpegtiedagger5.jpegtiedagger6.jpegtiedaggerdisplay.jpeg

Edited by obijon

BESTOON LEGACY

Hello again everyone,

I hope everyone is keeping safe.  Continuing my Episode IX Series today is the Bestoon Legacy.

The Bestoon Legacy, a WTK-85A interstellar transport, was the starship of Sith loyalist Ochi.

Ochi died after sinking in the Shifting Mires of Pasaana, leaving his ship behind.  With the First Order having confiscated the Millennium Falcon, Poe Dameron and Finn revive the Bestoon Legacy for a hasty trip to Kijimi. Rey also has a strange feeling that she’s seen the ship before!

This was a trickier build than it looks in this scale.  The cockpit for a start was quite tricky to work out.  The shape is still not completely accurate but I think this is as good as you can do at this scale.  I have used the bricks with 2 studs on adjacent sides and attached the parts around those.  The main body is 5 studs wide and the cockpit 2 so I have used those useful 1 x3 jumper plates with 2 studs to offset these.

The engines are also attached using technic pins to the body with the 2 x2 round bricks with holes.  The rear section also uses some technic parts to get the increased diameter at the rear.

Also getting the “spoiler” at the rear to sit on the engines took a bit of playing around with a bracket piece at the back (it is less than a whole stud thick).

I think it turned out pretty well shape wise etc, it probably looks a bit “new” but due to the pieces required to get the shape it was not possible to put enough greebling etc in to get the desired effect.  Different colours (dark grey, tan) also made it look too patchy.  Maybe this is how it looked when Ochi got it from the dealership! ?

I have also created a custom Ochi Of Bestoon figure (I have had to glue on the headphones - meh).

Jon

bestoonlegacy1.jpegbestoonlegacy2.jpegbestoonlegacy3.jpegbestoonlegacy4.jpegbestoonlegacy5.jpegbestoonlegacy6.jpegbestoonlegacydisplay.jpegochi.jpeg

Edited by obijon

UA-TT

Hello again everyone

Something different/other than starships this time and carrying on my Rise Of Skywalker series is the The Urban Assault Triped Transport, or UA-TT, which was a First Order walker used for pacification operations.

The UA-TT could deploy its central limb for stabilized firing and clearing pathways etc. In order to use heavy machinery in an urban area, the First Order deploys UA-TT walkers as opposed to the larger, heavier AT-M6 walkers. This is done so the city in question is not destroyed during occupation.

It was nice to build something different as new or different techniques are needed for a walker as opposed to a starfighter.  Having said that this was quite a tough build, especially getting the front limb and claw to be in scale with the rest of the build.  Not for the first time I discovered the pieces I needed in my son’s LEGO pieces especially the droid arm piece which attached the whole limb! It took me a while to work out how to do the claw until I realised I could attach four of the bar holder/clip pieces along the length of a t-bar without them falling off!  I could then attach the claw pieces to the bar holders.

The rear section/wedge is attached using a clip plate and plate with a handle.  The head actually drove the scale of the rest of the model.  The model has all the features of the vehicle and is fully poseable.  I am really pleased with how this one turned out as at first I had no idea how to build it in this scale!

Anyone else think that the head of this walker looks like HR Giger’s xenomorph from the Alien series?

Anyway let me know what you think.

More models soon – plenty of spare time at the moment!

Jon

uatt1.jpeguatt2.jpeguatt3.jpeguatt4.jpeguatt5.jpeguatt6.jpeguattdisplay.jpeg

Edited by obijon

Thanks.  It is a weird design but it made for an interesting build!  It's always fun when you find a solution for weird ships/vehicles.

Edited by obijon

I forgot to mention with the UA-TT that the light grey and black pieces (for the mostpart) are due to lack of availability of those pieces in dark grey.  

PS. Lockdown means there are plenty of models in the pipeline so watch this and other threads which pop up!  Original trilogy, Prequels, Clone Wars and more Ep IX on the way............ I might drip feed or I might drop a bomb, depends on bricklink deliveries!

Edited by obijon

DN-25 TREADABLE

Hello again everyone

This time we go back to Episode IX with the Treadable.  The DN-25 treadable was a model of treadable developed by Pasaana Kitha-Garra-du on the planet Pasaana.  Kalo'ne drove a DN-25 treadable across Pasaana's desert terrain during the Festival of the Ancestors in 35 ABY.  Kal’one was flinty and age-worn after decades of treadable driving and was most comfortable in her driving cabin with her serpentine body wrapped around the steering column.

This was quite a tricky one to build as it needed two separate treads and went through a few different approaches.  Eventually I went for the version you see here.  Earlier versions were too thin (only had one tread) or became way too big.  The key to the build is wrapping those tread links around the 4x4 round plates at both ends of the model.  Earlier versions I overcomplicated the build and had all the plates going the same way.  Eventually I had a eureka moment that I could actually build two almost identical sides and join them back to back with technic axles!  So that is what I did!

I also quite like the little simple things on the model like the chain for the “washing line” and the little bulbs.

I have also built a Kal’one minifigure out of bricks and a transfer for her face.

Jon

treadable1.jpegtreadable2.jpegtreadable3.jpegtreadable4.jpegtreadable5.jpegtreadabledisplay.jpegkalone.jpeg

Edited by obijon

Thanks. I am sure I saw a MF scale in another thread - “Wookie stands out in the crowd” or something like that. Maybe it was not true MF scale for your tastes.

SEA SKIFF

Hello again everyone

Back to EP. IX this time with the Sea Skiff from Rise Of Skywalker which Rey used to get over to the Death Star wreckage.

This model had the potential for its span to get rather large but I managed to keep it within my usual size (can't say scale as they are all different!).  There are no really neat tricks as such but it took me a while to work out the best way of attaching the outriggers.  I eventually used the old space handle plates and attached them to the main body using technic pins.  Using these also gave the look of the beams on the outriggers and allowed me to build the outer parts upside down.

Jon

seaskiff1.jpegseaskiff2.jpegseaskiff3.jpegseaskiff4.jpegseaskiff5.jpegseaskiff6.jpegseaskiffdisplay.jpeg

Looks great, the solution for the wings is really neat! Just a small nitpick though - there is supposed to be a fin of sorts coming down from the middle, kind of like a ship's keel. I doubt you would need to make any changes to the model aside from just adding a few pieces underneath.

4 minutes ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Looks great, the solution for the wings is really neat! Just a small nitpick though - there is supposed to be a fin of sorts coming down from the middle, kind of like a ship's keel. I doubt you would need to make any changes to the model aside from just adding a few pieces underneath.

Thanks for the nice feedback.  I hadn't noticed the keel when watching the movie and pausing it.  However, having looked at some more online reference pictures (viusal dictionary) you are right.  I will have to put that right........

Never let it be said I don't listen (unless it is the other half moaning about LEGO!). 

I have added the keel and it was only a few pieces which I luckily had to hand.  Whilst it may be more accurate for some reason I do not like the look of it as much.  The previous version reminded me of pacific island style canoes. Oh well it is what is is and I am all for accuracy where possible!

seaskiffv2-1.jpegseaskiffv2-2.jpegseaskiffv2-3.jpegseaskiffv2-4.jpegseaskiffv2-5.jpegseaskiffv2-6.jpegseaskiffv2-display.jpeg

8 hours ago, obijon said:

Thanks for the nice feedback.  I hadn't noticed the keel when watching the movie and pausing it.  However, having looked at some more online reference pictures (viusal dictionary) you are right.  I will have to put that right........

No problem - I made a full-scale one of my own a few months ago and was similarly surprised to see it had a lot more under the water. Still looks great though!

Thanks both.  

15 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

No problem - I made a full-scale one of my own a few months ago and was similarly surprised to see it had a lot more under the water. Still looks great though!

I actually saw your MOC and used it as a reference for my little model.  Very nice work.

40 minutes ago, obijon said:

I actually saw your MOC and used it as a reference for my little model.  Very nice work.

Oh wow, that's very cool to hear! Thank you!

19 hours ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Oh wow, that's very cool to hear! Thank you!

Once you told me about the keel i went searching for images not specifically for LEGO models but for the skiff in general and there it was.  I actually didn't realise it was your model until your post and went back to look again.  Once again great work.

Edited by obijon

FORTITUDE ‘LUCKY LANDER’

Hello again everyone

Back to Ep. IX this time with another model from the lockdown building binge;

The Fortitude, nicknamed "lucky lander" by some troops, was a YC-123B transport hauler in the service of the Resistance during their war against the First Order. During the Battle of Exegol, the Fortitude carried several troops and Orbaks to attack Exegol.

Like the earlier ‘Bestoon Legacy’ model this looks new when compared to the source but in this scale it is harder to get that old look.  This is probably it’s showroom look. 😊

This model does not have many complicated techniques.  The engines were probably the trickiest part getting the 3 blocks of 4.  They have been attached using bricks with studs on sides attached to technic bricks on the 2 engine pilons.  The size of the engines also determined the overall size of the model.  The only other tricky part of this ship was the recessed arch at the front for the troop deployment.  Those 2 x 2 modified tiles with studs on the edge solved the problem of the bottom lip with the two decorated tiles used for the doors set back on headlight bricks attached to bricks with studs on the side.

As I said it looks a bit new but the shape and proportions are pretty much spot on I think.

As usual let me know what you think about this one and any other models in the thread.

Jon

luckylander1.jpegluckylander2.jpegluckylander3.jpegluckylander4.jpegluckylander5.jpegluckylander6.jpegluckylanderdisplay.jpeg