Asper

Narrow gauge "Odenwald-Express"

After having seen the great design for a LEGO narrow gauge by Maik and David I wanted to build my own narrow gauge LEGO train.

Prototype should be the train connecting Mosbach and Mudau from 1905-1973 . I'm too young, so I have never seen the real trains but I know the route from numerous biking trips in my childhood. Today there is a bicycle track on the former railway.

Then I got a book about the "Odenwald-Express" and I finally started building it in LEGO.

The main actors are two engines - diesel engine class V52 and steam engine class 99 720:

49746757033_0c9f182368_c_d.jpg

49747373882_ec75f93026_c_d.jpg

49747045116_8cdb99a739_c_d.jpg

49740072032_0da9b6cfff_c_d.jpg

49739210003_6af082cb5a_c_d.jpg

There is also a passenger train ...

49747045506_7266367809_c_d.jpg

... and a freight train:

49740070742_3602b038ce_c_d.jpg

With working rollbocks for "standard" gauge wagons:

49740070637_788d581e2f_c_d.jpg

Both trains are driven by standard LEGO train motors

49739200983_c7fd431b02_c_d.jpg

- using the brilliant design of Maik and David Schenker:

There are more pictures in the flickr album.

Edited by Asper

Very nice indeed, saw them on 1000steine already. LEGO should release some entire narrow gauge sets I think when I look at your stunning work.  

Wonderful little gems! High details, great solutions for the motor positioning, those Duplo parts for the two standard wagons are simple and effective! :laugh:

Both locomotives are really cute! :wub:

Great work!!!

Davide

It's been a bit since my foray into narrow gauge. I saw trixbrix has some inner and outer dual gauge rail for narrow gauge rails. Is that how you are achieving the ~R40 narrow gauge curves? The only thing holding me back from my Tweetsie design was getting wider radius and functional narrow gauge curves. How'd you do it here?

3 minutes ago, jrathfon said:

It's been a bit since my foray into narrow gauge. I saw trixbrix has some inner and outer dual gauge rail for narrow gauge rails. Is that how you are achieving the ~R40 narrow gauge curves? The only thing holding me back from my Tweetsie design was getting wider radius and functional narrow gauge curves. How'd you do it here?

Yes, that's how I built the curves. Using the rails from trixbrix:

49750447762_7b84684ee5_c_d.jpg

Awesome! That's a great solution. I moved so alas don't have room to build the mountain into my layout complete with it's own narrow gauge loop and tunnel! Always wanted R40 narrow gauge! I had originally asked trixbrix for that dual gauge turnout, but it seems the curve radius is funny and non-constant in the pictures (outside of R24 not working for my steam trucks). 

Also, excellent work! Love the steam loco, lots of detail!

That's ingenious!! I'd never thought of using the train motor turned on it's side like that. And as for using the TrixBrix dual gauge rails to make R40 narrow gauge curves, that's just inspirational.

And as for the trains; well what can I say that hasn't already been said? The details, the proportions, everything is just spot on!! Fantastic work.

Rollblocks! I haven't seen those in ages since I visited a Schmallspurbahn in the NRW. The entire setup is well detailed. Great work.

That motor arrangement is fiendishly clever! 

Love everything about this. 

What are the side parts on the greena nd yellow trucks?

Great work in such limited space, yet packed with details ?

Any chance you'd be willing to upload an LXF for the mechanism in the power car? This is a really ingenious solution to the common problem of how to power 4w narrow gauge.

That is an amazing build. I still love the duplo gondolas, the sideways train motor is utterly brilliant. The detailing on the cars is fantastic, and unbelievable on the little steamer.

This is really gorgeous - I particularly adore the tiny steam loco. Thanks for sharing!

As a life-long narrow-gauge fan (who also volunteers at two different narrow gauge heritage railroads), I love this!  Not only do the builds look absolutely fantastic, but I also like the idea of using a sideways train motor for compact power.  I'm also pleased to see that the technic-pin coupling design I came up with about 9 years ago holds up well under power. :)

I actually recently looked up info on the v52 diesels that were made for the Mossbach & Mudau railway & it turns out that one of them is still operating on a 1m gauge railroad in Italy, which I think is pretty neat.

1 hour ago, Laura Beinbrech said:

I actually recently looked up info on the v52 diesels that were made for the Mossbach & Mudau railway & it turns out that one of them is still operating on a 1m gauge railroad in Italy, which I think is pretty neat.

Yes, that's really cool! And all 4 steamers still exist! One can bee seen as monument in Mudau and one of them is still active pulling historic trains (see German website of the "Alb-Baehnle").

While I was searching for more narrow gauge prototypes I started collecting information about the "Albtalbahn" near Karlsruhe, where I live today. This was also narrow gauge and then changed to standard gauge to be integrated into Karlsruhe's public transport system. And then I found out that they got the one of the diesels (modified for standard gauge) and one of the steamers was used changing gauges. The diesel then also was sold to Italy, so I guess both diesels are still active in Italy!

For both diesels I found "curriculum vitaes" (German but with images): https://www.loks-aus-kiel.de/index.php?nav=1401521&lang=1&id=19161&action=portrait and https://www.loks-aus-kiel.de/index.php?nav=1406157&id=19162&action=portrait

I'm not sure if this develops into a new hobby, but learning about the (surprisingly long!) history of single engines is sometimes real fun!