LIFE IN THE SLOW LANE...

Gypsy wagons have been around for a very long time, having primarily been seen with travelling circuses, before being adopted by gypsies.
The "Horse drawn, painted, one roomed house on wheels with a stove" is believed to originate in France in the early 19th Century. Gypsies themselves adopted them around 170 years ago. Its Romanesque characteristics, its baroque carvings and bright colours are likely to have been picked up from wanderings in Central and Eastern Europe.
The Gypsyes' name for their wagons is a "Vardo", from the Iranian name vurton, that means cart. 
There were six main types of wagons and they were made of oak, ash, elm, walnut and pine. Most caravans were pulled by draft horses.

I've always been intrigued by Gypsies Wagons and in the past few weeks I built a couple of them. Inspiration come mainly from a coffee table book my wife gifted me, "Les Roulottes, une invitation au voyage", a big source of colourful and funny caravans. It was very funny designing and building these caravans and also choose the right Minifigures from old sets and Collectionable Series.

If you are wondering why Jack Sparrow is in the MOC the answer is that I think he has the perfect look of a yesteryear Gypsy :)
A few pictures below

49700381826_b2cd37b2ba_b.jpg

Below the Wagons pulled by horses...

49745310696_b40b64fa6c_b.jpg

49745632712_4461a5d832_b.jpg

And the back views...

49700688567_0d529df92e_b.jpg

49699849638_a3839f1d50_b.jpg

Hope you like it. More info and pictures on my Flickr.

Thanks for stopping by!

This is so nice. I like the colors. You also don't see mocs like this very often. Have you considered putting it on Ideas? 

This is gorgeous! I see so many new things to test out. I don't recognise the tassle like dangling peices at the roof corners, don't think I've ever seen those.  I love discovering new ones!

I’ve seen these on Flickr, they look brilliant! :wub: Just so many little details and NPUs got packed in, I particularly love the use of several hats and chest lids as flowerpots, and coiled whips, tassels and gold tails/trunks as details! Great color choices as well. Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

Edited by LegoModularFan

Really cool, love the horse collars and blinkers

I think the carriages could be a brick or two shorter, the heigh is getting a bit much compared to the horses

On 4/7/2020 at 10:26 PM, Pdaitabird said:

Nice! I may have to steal - er, borrow your technique of using tires as horse collars!

On 4/8/2020 at 10:43 AM, Svendp said:

This is so nice. I like the colors. You also don't see mocs like this very often. Have you considered putting it on Ideas? 

On 4/8/2020 at 12:24 PM, Perterz said:

These are fantastic! Unusual but lovely color choices, well done!

Thank you very much!

20 hours ago, taratears said:

This is gorgeous! I see so many new things to test out. I don't recognise the tassle like dangling peices at the roof corners, don't think I've ever seen those.  I love discovering new ones!

Thank you! I'm happy you discover the hanging tassels, I discovered them few time ago too.

12 hours ago, LegoCowboy said:

Amazing job!

Thank you very much!

47 minutes ago, LegoModularFan said:

I’ve seen these on Flickr, they look brilliant! :wub: Just so many little details and NPUs got packed in, I particularly love the use of several hats and chest lids as flowerpots, and coiled whips, tassels and gold tails/trunks as details! Great color choices as well. Keep it up! :classic: :thumbup:

Thank you very much, very appreciated your remarks about the details! 

27 minutes ago, Merlict said:

Really cool, love the horse collars and blinkers

I think the carriages could be a brick or two shorter, the heigh is getting a bit much compared to the horses

Thank you! You are probably right, but it is the usual problem about Minifig proportions, and animals, with the rest of the build. Anyway thanks for the tip.

Just ... great :classic:
Never seen such a build, like it. Looks great and nice to see all those details and stuff, like the luggage on the roof, the hanging tassels and all that.

Interesting builds and great use of the basic colors.

I really like the use of the palm tree piece on the roof and the elephant pieces in the front of the left wagon. :thumbup:

On 4/13/2020 at 6:09 PM, neonic said:

Just ... great :classic:
Never seen such a build, like it. Looks great and nice to see all those details and stuff, like the luggage on the roof, the hanging tassels and all that.

Thanks :thumbup: :sweet: :wink: happy you like the stuff all around!

On 4/14/2020 at 7:26 PM, sander1992 said:

Interesting builds and great use of the basic colors.

I really like the use of the palm tree piece on the roof and the elephant pieces in the front of the left wagon. :thumbup:

Thank you very much, glad you like these little details :)

Wow, these builds have blown me away.  When i first got back into the Lego scene in 2009 I had a dream of building such wagons. I bought a lot of interesting things and tried a lot of renditions and never liked any of it.  Yours are just perfect.  The right amount of artful look and livable look, the people and animals are perfect for the wagons too!  Wonderful details and little touches, like the horse blinders.  Amazing work.

17 minutes ago, Darkdragon said:

Wow, these builds have blown me away.  When i first got back into the Lego scene in 2009 I had a dream of building such wagons. I bought a lot of interesting things and tried a lot of renditions and never liked any of it.  Yours are just perfect.  The right amount of artful look and livable look, the people and animals are perfect for the wagons too!  Wonderful details and little touches, like the horse blinders.  Amazing work.

Thanks a bunch @Darkdragon for your kind words, very appreciated :thumbup: :sweet: :wink:

Really nice job! Instantly recognizable etc. Next step would be to add a road with e.g. a small stone bridge or something.

oooh these are nice!

cool colors and like someone said on Flickr NPU on those flower baskets with the chest lid and the 3633 fence piece.

they do look a bit high but otherwise those doors wouldn't fit and hey! even roma minifig need living space!

I like those fences with the lever base and lattice piece on the red and yellow wagon although for an official set that wouldn't do I would guess

only thing to nag about is how the guy with the doggies looks too much like Jack Sparrow to me

On 4/16/2020 at 1:54 AM, Jerry McGlade said:

So cool, it feels kind of steampunkish to me. 

Thanks! Steampunkish...:look: 

On 4/16/2020 at 9:42 AM, JopieK said:

Really nice job! Instantly recognizable etc. Next step would be to add a road with e.g. a small stone bridge or something.

Thank you! At the beginning I thought of creating a background, but then I preferred without it, because in this way the carriages are more visible, and you can focus attention on the details.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:55 AM, Ravelino said:

oooh these are nice!

cool colors and like someone said on Flickr NPU on those flower baskets with the chest lid and the 3633 fence piece.

they do look a bit high but otherwise those doors wouldn't fit and hey! even roma minifig need living space!

I like those fences with the lever base and lattice piece on the red and yellow wagon although for an official set that wouldn't do I would guess

only thing to nag about is how the guy with the doggies looks too much like Jack Sparrow to me

Thanks for your remarks and suggestions.
About the 3633 It was completely random, I was looking for something to attach the chest lids and that piece happened to me...
I think the wagons have the right height, take a look at the real ones, they are huge seen close to a man. I think the horses are probably too small compared to carts, but I think the overall view is proportionate and pleases the eye (imho).

4 hours ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Very well done, @Norton74! :thumbup:

I esp. like all these colorful details.

Thank you very much!

@Norton74 I agree on both accounts

I meant that even in real life they look a bit high.

where one could easily make them a half length longer with an extra set of wheels to divide the weight better but that’s today’s engineering on yesterday’s inventions.

LEGO horses are a bit on the small side. I use the old molds for mares and the new ones for stallions but I feel we could use more types of horse

Edited by Ravelino

@Norton74

These carriages are awesome and really cute. And the photos are extremely well put into scene. A very nice presentation of your MOC.

Great.

Regards,

legolux1973

On 4/18/2020 at 3:20 PM, Ravelino said:

@Norton74 I agree on both accounts
I meant that even in real life they look a bit high.
where one could easily make them a half length longer with an extra set of wheels to divide the weight better but that’s today’s engineering on yesterday’s inventions.
LEGO horses are a bit on the small side. I use the old molds for mares and the new ones for stallions but I feel we could use more types of horse

:thumbup::thumbup: :thumbup:

22 hours ago, Jerry McGlade said:

Sorry about that, it was just the colour schemes reminded me of steampunk. It’s fantastic job.??

No problem at all @Jerry McGlade! thanks for stopping by!

3 hours ago, legolux1973 said:

@Norton74

These carriages are awesome and really cute. And the photos are extremely well put into scene. A very nice presentation of your MOC.
Great.
Regards,
legolux1973

Thank you very much! Glad you like them :classic: