I am very excited to present you my recent supercar MOC. It includes a PF (Power Function) version and a non-PF version. The PF version uses 2xLarge motor (propulsion) and 1 servo motor (steering), and it drives very smoothly. The non-PF version contains a 3-speed gearbox and a V4 fake engine, it also has a comprehensive steering system including HOG.

More details can be found in my LEGO Ideas project https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2702df52-bcdc-467f-aab4-9d81000d7c14. I hope that I can have your support!

Here are some pictures:

u4Mj2VrZy5_SH_Vbg-jUWApDEnq0r7KgKQvKyQm0

oj3vgXKW6T0ODsXrFZZTLcu0qDom-n5egvCbwWoG

YYAADLNxvRUU_0_yGIFqe36RTKWiZwSkBIGw41Pd

CDig3KxqwNHwXphmc_xQ-Wr_W_sqYB4enzgj7n3M

Below are pictures about how the steering and drivetrain work in the non-PF version:

FfJA5aJ9eMKL67iDwwuwfXMwpzTUrAvLkCiZANlj

KF09TbhS7cG1t89FQnVoAZJTP6e69_gUe4Z3Qr7_

Edited by mihao

Looking good!

Inspired by the new jaguar maybe?

The embedded pics aren't working for me though.

Edited by amorti

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist the new red fenders :wink:

Both of your earlier shared cars were awesome, and this one tops them. Looks stunning !!

Obviously supported on Ideas.

Approximately, how many parts does it have ?

25 minutes ago, iLego said:

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist the new red fenders :wink:

Both of your earlier shared cars were awesome, and this one tops them. Looks stunning !!

Obviously supported on Ideas.

Approximately, how many parts does it have ?

Yes, yes, yes, you got me. Once I noticed the small fender, I realized how valuable it is to MOC in this model. For the part count, the PF version has 2015 (166 distinct), while the non-PF version has 2432 (165 distinct). Thank you for your support!

8 hours ago, amorti said:

Looking good!

Inspired by the new jaguar maybe?

The embedded pics aren't working for me though.

If you mean the hood, it is inspired by Aston Martin Vulcan mostly. The new Jaguar does have a similar hood. The main reason I pick such a hood style is that, I need the front fender to be attached somewhere so it can lean forward a bit in order to achieve the curve of the front part.

Edited by mihao

Looks good, but

- only 4 cylinders for supercar?! OK, if it would be Koenigsegg Gemera or similar.

- so much gears in steering - there should be really big delay/slack

The bodywork disign looks pretty nice, and apart from the Hood it is fairly smooth as well :classic::thumbup:

Mounting the wheel arch pieces to achieve some curvature is a great technique, I used it in my latest MOC as well :classic:

The steering system and drivetrain are just terrible imo, I am sorry, but using so many universal joints and 8t gears just calls for trouble.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

Looks good, but

- only 4 cylinders for supercar?! OK, if it would be Koenigsegg Gemera or similar.

- so much gears in steering - there should be really big delay/slack

4-cylinder can still make a good supercar, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_919_Hybrid, Besides, I can't squeeze into more cylinder into this little body. :iamded_lol:

It has slack with that many gears, but I don't feel it is big problem in the manual version (non-PF) when I play it, because your fingers can always adjust. For the PF version, the servo motor directly connect to the gear rack, no delay at all. 

1 hour ago, Gray Gear said:

The bodywork disign looks pretty nice, and apart from the Hood it is fairly smooth as well :classic::thumbup:

Mounting the wheel arch pieces to achieve some curvature is a great technique, I used it in my latest MOC as well :classic:

The steering system and drivetrain are just terrible imo, I am sorry, but using so many universal joints and 8t gears just calls for trouble.

Thanks for the comments! Those pictures are for manual version. The drivetrain uses one universal joint inside 92911 (Steering Ball Joint Large Receptacle) which is not shown in the picture. It is very sturdy. For the steering, I didn't experience any trouble with the joints and gears. In general, as long as gears don't slip away from each other by proper locking mechanism, everything should be fine, and in such scale, small gears like 8t are more useful to be honest.

Edited by mihao

There is a noticeable backlash in your steering system, isn't it?

Edited by Parazels

5 minutes ago, Parazels said:

There is a noticeable backlash in your steering system, isn't it?

Yes, in the manual version, the backlash is noticeable between the HOG nob and the front wheels. But in the remote control version, (I didn't post the gear setup here, it is different from the manual version) no backlash between the servo and the front wheel because they are hooked up directly, while backlash does occur on the steering wheel too, but it doesn't affect the car movement.

Edited by mihao

I guess you focused more on the RC version, and the manual option was done afterwards? I believe the RC version is better

7 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

I guess you focused more on the RC version, and the manual option was done afterwards? I believe the RC version is better

The RC version was finished first, then I decided to create a non-RC version for the sake of completeness of this MOC. (Many people wanted a non-RC version of my Lamborghini).

It would be boring to just replace PF parts with dummy liftarms, so I decided to add a fake engine and a gear box to the non-RC version. After adding the fake engine, there wasn't much room to add gears, so I had to find way for the steering system. The HOG part was added lastly because I realized that it is so painful to steer with the steering wheel with such a small car. There are many half-stud approaches in this design, and many trade-off in the decision making process, but I am pretty happy with what it is right now.

Edited by mihao

4 hours ago, whitfieldtyler95 said:

Looks really nice regardless!

Thanks. I am very picky on the bodywork, you know. :pir-wink:

Just discovered your MOC because it figured on The Lego Car blog. You have a very distinctive style that I like a lot. You show that it is possible to make great looking relatively small scale Technic models. Compare this to the the latest Dodge charger. :sick: Let’s hope Lego get’s inspired by your work ...

I’m one of those persons more interested in a manual version than a PF version, so I appreciate your effort to make one. Also just discovered that you have provided instructions for your brilliant Aventador on Rebrickable. A big thanks!

15 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

Just discovered your MOC because it figured on The Lego Car blog. You have a very distinctive style that I like a lot. You show that it is possible to make great looking relatively small scale Technic models. Compare this to the the latest Dodge charger. :sick: Let’s hope Lego get’s inspired by your work ...

I’m one of those persons more interested in a manual version than a PF version, so I appreciate your effort to make one. Also just discovered that you have provided instructions for your brilliant Aventador on Rebrickable. A big thanks!

Thank you for your encouragement! I do hope small scale models can attract more attentions, but for some reason, people are more keen to larger models. As a big fan of RC model. I believe that any model large than 1:12 can hardly run smoothly, unless you want to put 2 batteries and 4 motors inside of it or sacrifice the bodywork.

BTW, I will be publishing instructions for this new MOC, which may take some time though.

Edited by mihao

11 hours ago, mihao said:

BTW, I will be publishing instructions for this new MOC, which may take some time though.

Much appreciated!

Sorry for the bump, but do you have instructions for this updated version of the model? All I can find is the one with the weird wheel arches.

On 5/2/2020 at 1:22 PM, letsbuild said:

Sorry for the bump, but do you have instructions for this updated version of the model? All I can find is the one with the weird wheel arches.

Thank you for being interested at this. The instructions is in progress while I am designing some other car. Hopefully I can publish it in Rebrickable in a few weeks.

1 minute ago, mihao said:

Thank you for being interested at this. The instructions is in progress while I am designing some other car. Hopefully I can publish it in Rebrickable in a few weeks.

Awesome! Thank you for putting in the time to update the instructions!