TomSkippy

The Book on Cuirassiers

I've always been bothered by Lego Cuirassiers... Simply put, I couldn't find a satisfactory set of armor/weaponry for them. I finally settled on using a backwards Lego Roman Centurion helmet which does a decent impression of the French cuirassier helm, chrome silver breastplate, and a cavalry sabre from brickarms. Finally satisfied, here's the 'book' on Napoleonic Cuirassiers

49743880388_833af93353_z.jpg

CUIRASSIER

Cuirassiers were heavy cavalry equipped with cuirass armour and firearms, first appearing in late 15th-century Europe. In the later 17th century, the cuirassier lost his limb armour and subsequently employed only the cuirass and sometimes a helmet. By this time, the sword or sabre had become their primary weapon, pistols being relegated to a secondary function. Cuirassiers achieved increased prominence during the Napoleonic Wars and were last fielded in the opening stages of World War I.

49744749062_0bec01a7ff.jpg

Though the armour could not protect against contemporary flintlock musket fire, it could deflect shots fired from long-range, stop ricochets and offer protection from all but very close range pistol fire. More importantly, in an age which saw cavalry used in large numbers, the armour provided excellent protection against the swords and lances of opposing cavalry and against infantry bayonets. It also had some psychological effect for the wearer  and the enemy, while it also added weight to a charge, especially in cavalry versus cavalry actions.

49744427441_74f7b3d859_z.jpg

Napoleonic French cuirasses were originally intended to be proof against three musket shots at close range; however, this was never achieved in practice. The regulations eventually recognised this, and cuirasses were subsequently only expected to be proof against one shot at long range

49744749122_4464b559ef_z.jpg

Thanks!

You can find a couple more pictures on my flickr

Edited by TomSkippy

Great idea to reverse the Centurion helmet !

Congrats on that !

It's really close to a Napoleon Dragon !

Remove the cuirass and keep the new bluecoat torso and you've got an Imperial Guard Dragon !

Good job ! :thumbup:

Really nice post. I like your somewhat harsh but realistic example of how they would fight infantry :pir-grin:

Very nice scene and interesting usage of the Roman helmet.

Understand your interest for the Cuirassier helemets especially for the Napoleonic times. Below you can find my version  of one of these helmets:

710x528_21966831_11180808_1586409990.jpg

Edited by woody64

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

On 4/7/2020 at 2:31 AM, Faladrin said:

Great idea to reverse the Centurion helmet !

Congrats on that !

It's really close to a Napoleon Dragon !

Remove the cuirass and keep the new bluecoat torso and you've got an Imperial Guard Dragon !

Good job ! :thumbup:

Good idea! 

On 4/8/2020 at 11:34 AM, Fraunces said:

Really nice post. I like your somewhat harsh but realistic example of how they would fight infantry :pir-grin:

I had a lot of fun putting together the brutal vignette.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:53 AM, woody64 said:

Very nice scene and interesting usage of the Roman helmet.

Understand your interest for the Cuirassier helemets especially for the Napoleonic times. Below you can find my version  of one of these helmets:

710x528_21966831_11180808_1586409990.jpg

I saw those on shapeways I think!