Hi there! 

At the start of January picked up the 42108 set (Actually wasn't planning on spending money on more Lego at the start of the year but saw a surprisingly cheap deal for a new set and just couldn't resist it). Naturally, opened the box, went through the instructions and applied all the stickers to their belonging parts and started to work on new alternates without assembling the original set (Yes, I'm a mad lad :D )

And who would have guessed.. my first alternate was another excavator.. I hope that people don't get exausted of seeing another one but this set turned out to be a great part pack for creating a sleek and fully functional wheeled excavator! 

800x533.jpg

Functions: 

1. Working steering - blue gear on the back
  2. Adjustable front shovel - manually, can be locked in place
  3. Adjustable rear outriggers - mannualy, can be locked in place
  4. Rotating upperstructure - Black knob at the rear of the chassis
  5. Fully functional arm - controlled by 2 seperate knobs on the top of the upperstructure

Chasis storn enough and with the outriggers and shovel extended it can support the whole weight of the excavator and lift it from the ground.

800x533.jpg

At this moment this is the second set that uses the new Large linear actuator, and it just makes reach on this medium sized excavator crazy good

800x533.jpg

If You want to build it Yourself - Instructions available here: https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-38023/tgbdz/42108-alternate-wheeled-excavator/?inventory=1#bi (Or simply look for TGBDZ on rebrickable) 

For the next build I wanted to make something different that I haven't tried before.. After Some tinkering with the parts a bit I started to build a rather large structure using the larg 3x11 curved panel pieces and after creating a large bathub like structure I decided to make an articulated hauler. I had atleast 6 wheels, for the center joint I could use the turntable, large actuator should cover the lifting of the cargo bed - all the major issues were solved quickly and here is the result. 

800x533.jpg

Functions: 

1. Working steering - no HOG - the center of the cab is so close to the swiveling point that it's easy to steer by pushing on the cab sides
  2. Fully adjustable chasis/suspension - front axle is solid and together with cabin is rotating on the turntable located in the center of the chasis - rear axles use double wheel boogies that easily gets over small obstacles
  3. Functional and tipping cargo bed - uses large actuator and is operated by knobs on either side
  4. Cargo bed can be locked at the back to prevent unecessary spillage of goods

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

And just like for the excavator - I think the original 42108 stickers add a lot of nice touches to the design.

800x533.jpg

Instructions for the Hauler will be available soon. 

What should I build next? At the moment I'm thinking of making two models at the same time - 42108 has 8 aviable wheels.. Will see :)

Cheers! 

10 hours ago, jshuiting said:

Really digging the modern look of the hauler, nicely done! 

Thanks! The cab design turned out much better than I Initially thought is possible. 

13 hours ago, arijitdas said:

Both these alternate models look awesome. 

Thank You for the kind words! 

14 hours ago, TGBDZ said:

What should I build next?

Can you give a try at an US tow truck? Like 8285 or 8258 C.

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Dump truck is very good :thumbup:

Thanks! I really like how it turned out! And guess I was right - everybody has been tired of seeing another excavator :D 

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Can you give a try at an US tow truck? Like 8285 or 8258 C.

Hmm, why not! I could try that! Don't know if the yellow color is the best choice for this kind of vehicle but the available parts from this set provides all the necessary bits to make all the functions. 

8 minutes ago, TGBDZ said:

Don't know if the yellow color is the best choice for this kind of vehicle but the available parts from this set provides all the necessary bits to make all the functions. 

I am browsing trough internet looking for something that will fit that set and believe me, some of those machines has to be yellow ;)

Just now, Bartybum said:

I know it's a bit repetitive, but I'd be keen to see a 6-wheel mobile crane :D

No, you wouldn't. You just think you would. :grin:

Dunno how well the lack of appropriately sized LAs would do, but maybe also a front loader? Another idea would be a road grader, if we keep to construction equipment

Edited by Bartybum

4 hours ago, M_longer said:

I am browsing trough internet looking for something that will fit that set and believe me, some of those machines has to be yellow ;)

Probably there are quite a lot of them in yellow, it's just Lego has spoiled me and all the yelloy vehicles automatically screams CONSTURUCTION equipment... instead of road maintanance or a simple pedestrian vehicle... :laugh: 

4 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Love that hauler! :wub_drool:

You and me both! :pir_love:

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Dunno how well the lack of appropriately sized LAs would do, but maybe also a front loader? Another idea would be a road grader, if we keep to construction equipment

Thanks for the ideas, will keep them in mind! 

Both models look good and simple. I like excavator more - I like how you made working arm with just one linear actuator. If you are looking for some ideas you can try to build harbour crane similar to alternative model of set 8053.

8053_alt5.jpg

6 hours ago, Bartybum said:

Another idea would be a road grader, if we keep to construction equipment

You just red my mind :classic:

15 hours ago, Tomik said:

Both models look good and simple. I like excavator more - I like how you made working arm with just one linear actuator. If you are looking for some ideas you can try to build harbour crane similar to alternative model of set 8053.

8053_alt5.jpg

Thanks for the kind words about excavator - finally something positive about it - seems like most of the people like Hauler more :head_back:

This is something totally different but at the same time challenging. Need to think about this as well. 

For the next project wanted to return to my brick built SW Ghost but looks that I will stick for more Technic sets for now! 

Wanted to say thanks for all the proposed ideas - during the easter holidays had plenty of time to sit by the Lego desk.. and after some tinkering with parts I built something totally different but in my opinion super cool - Toolcat Utility Work Machine!

800x533.jpg

Functions and features: 

• 4 wheel steering by the HOG on the roof
  • Adjustable and working front shovel - controlled by the lever and a knob from the dashboard
  • Cargo box on the rear can be unloaded using side knobs on either side
  • Opening doors
  • Full detailed interrior (using the original stickers on the original parts from the 42108 set) 
  • Possibility to add trailer / any other attachment at the back

800x533.jpg

800x533.jpg

Been busy working on the instructions as well - if anyone is interested instructions can be found on rebrickable - https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-39974/tgbdz/42108-alternate-toolcat/#comments

Cheers! 

Gentleman both - toolcat utility working machine and roll off truck are great alternatives :thumbup:

I'd readily pay for a second 42108 and help increase TLG's sales although only by ony tiny bit if they made a decent B model like that truck. But well, life happens.

In my area this set is not even in stores despite that in Croatia we have very good control on SARS-CoV-2 pandemic situation...and those curvy panels I need for my telehandler project which is now postponed. :hmpf_bad:

11 hours ago, M_longer said:

I have made a roll off truck :)

800x800.jpg

Very nice build - at first thougt to build something similar but in the end opted to build the hauler instead. Looks like You have used plenty of parts, I usually tend to have around 30% of parts as leftovers.. 

Are You planning to build anything else from it? 

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Gentleman both - toolcat utility working machine and roll off truck are great alternatives :thumbup:

Thanks! Will see maybe will try and build 4th alternate from it :classic:

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'd readily pay for a second 42108 and help increase TLG's sales although only by ony tiny bit if they made a decent B model like that truck. But well, life happens.

Business is business - from official Lego channels there were some info that by their "research" less then 50% or even less people built only the A models and therfore Lego decided to save time and skip designing the B-models for a lot of their releases. In reality I'm one of those bad people who sometimes doesn't even build the A model and just buy sets for parts... I haven't assembled 42108 original set.. and yet have built 3 alternates :head_back:

59 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

In my area this set is not even in stores despite that in Croatia we have very good control on SARS-CoV-2 pandemic situation...and those curvy panels I need for my telehandler project which is now postponed. :hmpf_bad:

That's sad.. let's hope that the situations stabilazes as soon as possible.. would like to see the progress on Your build! I was lucky enough to get the set in January with 40% discount :wacko:

51 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Awesome MODs all of them look like A models.

Thanks for the kind words! 

1 hour ago, TGBDZ said:

Are You planning to build anything else from it? 

Yes, but I need to make instructions for this roll off first :)