Hi folks, I'm not affected by the lockdown and really really busy, but it's TC time again and hey, that means a good motivation to build something out of my comfort zone. Thanks to Jim for that, while I'm really not good in car building ...

At first I built the two official chassis that fit to the car transporter to get a feeling for the required size:

001.jpeg

And I found a motor concept, it will be a mini V6:

002.jpeg

Please ignore the blue 3L pins, they are not final and will be only used during construction.

003.jpeg

Meanwhile I have seen so many marvelous ideas with full suspension, gearbox and gorgeous lines that I'm a bit intimidated and not sure if I can add any value into this contest. That's why I have chosen my WIP name ...

However, next step will be to find a chassis that suits my requirements and a possible wheelbase.

Edited by MegaRoi
Changed title

@vascolp Thanks, I like it also :laugh:

Meanwhile I found some time to build a little bit, but I'm still far away from my target and you guys present one beautiful creation after the other. Chapeau.

01a.jpeg

I think I found a wheelbase to work with, but it's still a rough scratch.

02a.jpeg

On the right side you can see my first attempt to find a shell.

03.ajpeg

The belly shot offers my try for a diffuser that might be final, while the front spoiler is only a placeholder and is taken from 42093.

04a.jpeg

I couldn't find a shape for the front end so far ...

05.jpeg

I haven't added any details yet and the model will have only a few functions like HOG and working steering wheel.

On 4/6/2020 at 2:14 PM, MegaRoi said:

while I'm really not good in car building ...

It was joke
The beginning is very good, I hope there is a competitor for you
Edited by super-jaschka

4 hours ago, super-jaschka said:

It was joke

@super-jaschka thank you for the compliment  - and finally I got some response, which motivates me a lot finishing this MOC. Special thanks for that. But I was seriously not kidding - i'my not good in building cars. Well, at least compared to the other super-hyper-breathtaking-incredible-good-car-builders here.

I still even hope I have the abilities to finish it ...

@Thirdwigg yepee, more response :sweet::thumbup: thank you

But I don't have any updates at the moment, still fighting with the front.  And the color scheme. And the overall proportions. And the neccessary parts for a bricklink order. And printer cartridges. And finding building time beside work ... and so on and so forth ... TC'S rules!

@super-jaschka by the way, nice tag you have :thumbup::wub:

Hi, while I'm still fighting with the bodywork - especially with the bonnet and the front end - I think my chassis is about 90% finished, so I compared it to the chassis from 42093 and 42098.

11.jpeg

My wheelbase will be a little bit longer:

12.jpeg

But therefore my entry will become very low!

13a.jpeg

The top view shows the middle motor concept best.

14a.jpeg

15a.jpeg

As you can see, I'm using the wider wheels on the rear instead of the London Bus wheels from 42093. And this is making my entry too wide. It would be 16 studs instead of the allowed 15:

16a.jpeg17a.jpeg

You can see that I'm using the same axle setup as for 42093:

18a.jpeg

I can't move the rims more inwards, because then they would rub on the structure. The used axle setup is best for preventing the axles being pulled of the differential and I think that's the reason why LG introduced the new rims into technic. So either I have to change the wheels or the allowed width for TC18 would be increased to 16. @Jim?

Nice progress, but 15 studs limit is 15 studs, and it would not fit on 42098 - which is even harder to stretch. :grin: Jim was already generous in this contest, I think we risk to loose him forever by raising another one - also, you are the only one with this question, so I guess You can find a solution to meet the criteria. :wink:

Look at the bright side: you have even more chance to have fun with building!

25 minutes ago, agrof said:

Nice progress, but 15 studs limit is 15 studs, and it would not fit on 42098 - which is even harder to stretch. :grin: Jim was already generous in this contest, I think we risk to loose him forever by raising another one - also, you are the only one with this question, so I guess You can find a solution to meet the criteria. :wink:

hes-right-you-know-32644960.png

:tongue:

24 minutes ago, agrof said:

and it would not fit on 42098

While I totally agree with you, and also with the safe max limit of 15 studs decided for this TC, the width of the truck is more 17 studs hard, so 16 studs actually fit.

Only, it would make for a nice MOC, not a TC entry... :wink:

30 minutes ago, agrof said:

... also, you are the only one with this question, so I guess You can find a solution to meet the criteria. :wink:

The solution is quite easy: either you accept that the axles could be pulled out of the diff or you use the London Bus wheels. That's it and as far I saw, the TC18 entry builders did just that. And I will do the same: use the smaller rims for TC18 and then go back to the wider wheels. If I remember right, it still would fit to 42098.

@Jim:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That made my day :sweet:

But let's put on some bodywork:

21.jpeg

22.jpeg

23.jpeg24.jpeg

25.jpeg

At next I will try to add more details like rear lights and give you an update again.

I think normal size wheels can fit perfectly within 15 studs without axles pulling out of diff, just not with that axle design from TLG, try part #15461 instead. Bodylines looking promising so far though.

See it that way: When you bring your race car to the track with the 42098 transporter you wouldn't put on the race tires anyway but some other rubbers for preventing any damage to your race tires.

This build is right up my alley. Looks great, and the bodywork looks like a proper GT car. I look forward to how you keep the front hood and roof low.

I like the solution you used for the steering routing.

@MegaRoi What about this solution?

800x487.jpg

Just tested, it is quite strong (the 2 axles connected), maybe not for an RC model, but I think could be useful here. I did not build the whole assembly, so can not judge if the "swingarm" construction is rigid enough, but allows definitely the 15 studs width.
BTW - I smell GT40 here, looks good so far!

Edited by agrof

Me stupid, it can be done even simplier:

800x413.jpg

Edited by agrof

On 4/29/2020 at 6:51 PM, syclone said:

I think normal size wheels can fit perfectly within 15 studs without axles pulling out of diff, just not with that axle design from TLG, try part #15461 instead. 

I think so too, but the TLG solution is quite robust and very handy - perfect for a construction toy.

The part you mentioned is one of those parts I always forget that they exist, but it could create a very clever solution, as we see in other axle designs. Good idea! Maybe I have to give it a try ... if I can find some time ... Thanks for that!

On 4/29/2020 at 6:55 PM, Go-Kart said:

See it that way: When you bring your race car to the track with the 42098 transporter you wouldn't put on the race tires anyway but some other rubbers for preventing any damage to your race tires.

Good explanation :sweet::thumbup:

21 hours ago, agrof said:

Me stupid, it can be done even simplier:

800x413.jpg

That's a good idea! Thank you! If there will be some time left at the end, maybe I will use it for this MOC.

As I wrote in the information topic: this contest is a treasure chest for good solutions with less space consumption! Thanks to Jim again.

More info about my entry: today I was only searching for specific parts, starting a bricklink order and did some minor cosmetics and generally color selection. Maybe I can give another update tomorrow. And then there is still the hood ... the hood man, the hood ... *huh*

Wow, time is running so fast! There are so many marvelous entries already and i'm still struggling with the front and general part selection. But I was able to do some progress.

30.jpg

I'm not really satisfied and still not sure if I want to enter. And meanwhile also my tablet died ...

I was reading up on this topic, and when I reached the last picture I just caught myself saying 'WOW!' out loud... (must have sounded quite stupid for everyone else in the house...:blush:).

I get an instant Dodge Viper race spec vibe from the front part (Gran Turismo anyone?), and I think that if you would enter with the car like this it would already score pretty well! So I would strongly encourage you to spend a little time on finishing touches and take those 4 pictures! Would be a waste not to...

That car looks very nice. Your progress has been interesting. If you can change those two grey system bricks on the roof and maybe give it some headlights you are in with a winning chance (even without headlights).

H:classic:

Love that color scheme. The blue-white-red areas flow nicely. Also, some interesting panel usage with all those angles. Love the angled sides. The custom black stickers for the windcreen are not my favorite part, but in all honesty, I didn't notice them right away.

1 hour ago, Rudivdk said:

I was reading up on this topic, and when I reached the last picture I just caught myself saying 'WOW!' out loud... (must have sounded quite stupid for everyone else in the house...:blush:).

Can't say anything more! @MegaRoi, you didn't give up and find a way to build this amazing car meeting the all requirements. I saw some outstanding competitors but this one is a real beast!

Please excuse, but I have to start again with the word Wow:

WOW! So many nice and motivating comments overwhelmed me. Thanks for that.

@Rudivdk that's a nice comment :grin:, very motivating. Too bad my build is not inspired by a Viper, so I didn't nail the wanted look. Can you guess the real car I was inspired by?

By the way, I still want to build your White Lightning - best looking plane and MOC ever - and I already have a reserved place in my living room, but I missed the instructions for free period. Can you PM me how to get it in an uncomplicated way?

@Lakop (another legendary member!) The grey system bricks are only a placeholder to check the general look. I'm still not sure if I want to use them ... And the headlights ... they still give me headaches. I don't know how to implement them nor which parts to use. One week left!

@Erik Leppen motivating comment from you! It feels as an honour to me!

You're right, the black sticker is cheating!

@Void_S real beast! :grin::wub:

Thanks again for these nice comments! They keep me motivated to finish this build as an TC entry :classic:

52 minutes ago, MegaRoi said:

Can you guess the real car I was inspired by?

Looking at the angled lines in top view and the way the roof fold down to the sides with that air duct below I'd say the latest incarnation of Ford GT...

PM on the way...