Ts__

BR E18 047 "Blauer Enzian"

On 5/4/2020 at 6:37 PM, Coal Fired Bricks said:

and do you have any issues with the 2 motors you have?

What kind of problems or issues should i have? This setup (1 PowerUP motor per HUB, both HUBs connect with one handheld) works fine for me and this is my currently standard setup for trains. I use In the red train from my profil picture 3 motor/HUB units with one handheld and have no problems, only power. The complete train is 3,5 meters long and i showed the red locomotive at two exhibitions in germany without problems.

On 5/4/2020 at 6:37 PM, Coal Fired Bricks said:

Great build.  Is it a good runner.

Thanks

Edited by Ts__

On 5/4/2020 at 2:27 PM, Ts__ said:

What kind of problems or issues should i have?

Well, when I first got the power functions motors after about an hour of running around the Christmas tree one of the motors stopped working.  I had a  6 few passenger cars behind it of the EN style (I hadn't gotten into 8 wide-scale yet) and I was wondering if that was too much weight on no roller bearings. And I know full-length passenger cars are heavy even with roller bearings reducing friction (I have a few in the works) so I wasn't sure if you ever burned a motor out because of the weight of some other problem.  

Edited by Coal Fired Bricks

Ok, I don't run my trains in continuous operation for hours. The longest continuous drive was about 1h (battery test). The "Blauer Enzian" can only operate for approx. 1.5 - 2 hours with one battery charge (Varta accumulator). Then I have to insert new batteries. The exhibitions were shared facilities, so I don't drive all the time, but alternately with the other exhibitors. So far I came with a set of batteries without problems for 1-1.5 days. I haven't had a broken engine yet.

Thomas

14 hours ago, Merlict said:

Educate me, what are the strings for near the axles please?

The bogies are covered bogies of the type "Görlitz III light" and this bogie has a thin wire in reality. I tried to emulate this with the strings. The function in the real bogie is unknown to me.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drehgestell_Bauart_Görlitz#/media/Datei:Drehgestell_Goerlitz_III_leicht.JPG

Thomas

I love the detailing, the stickers and the technical solution for the bogies. Well done!

16 hours ago, Ts__ said:

The bogies are covered bogies of the type "Görlitz III light" and this bogie has a thin wire in reality. I tried to emulate this with the strings. The function in the real bogie is unknown to me.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drehgestell_Bauart_Görlitz#/media/Datei:Drehgestell_Goerlitz_III_leicht.JPG

Thomas

If I look at the photos, it seems that wire is on the outside of the bogie just under the axles. It is as if it was linking the brake shoes...

On 5/6/2020 at 11:31 PM, Merlict said:

Educate me, what are the strings for near the axles please?

I was wondering what this comment was getting at until I looked back and saw...

On 4/5/2020 at 7:31 AM, Ts__ said:

Blauer_Enzian_Fahrwerk_von_unten

At first glance it ALMOST looks like those strings are riding on the axles in this photo, but when I look closer the roller bearings are set in the slots and the strings go over the slots

2 hours ago, Frank STENGEL said:

If I look at the photos, it seems that wire is on the outside of the bogie just under the axles. It is as if it was linking the brake shoes...

Yes, it is probably brake rigging, mechanically linking the brake cylinder to the brake shoes (or in the case of the linked photo, perhaps hoses for the disc brakes)

3 hours ago, Frank STENGEL said:

It is as if it was linking the brake shoes...

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

Yes, it is probably brake rigging, mechanically linking the brake cylinder to the brake shoes (or in the case of the linked photo, perhaps hoses for the disc brakes) 

Yes, sounds good

roller bearings are set in the slots and the strings go over the slots

Yes, the strings don´t hit the axis. I don´t like additional friction...

Thanks @Elysiumfountain and @baard

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

I have a book given to me by a German bogie designer colleague called "Drehgestelle-Bogies" by Karl Gerhard Baur that has a nice line drawing of the Girlitz III Light bogie. Although it doesn't label the bogie parts, there is a flat strap with two intermediate safety hangers that connects the lower ends of the inboard axle pedestals. I can only surmise that this a tension member that increases the bending stiffness of the bogie frame, which appears to be very light in construction. It is not involved in the brake rigging.

Dave

16 hours ago, bogieman said:

I can only surmise that this a tension member that increases the bending stiffness of the bogie frame, which appears to be very light in construction. It is not involved in the brake rigging.

Hello Dave,

Sounds like a good explanation. Would also fit my model, even if the cords do not stabilize anything, but only decorate.

The book sounds interesting. The book appears to be sold out in German and is only available in second hand.

Thanks.

Hello! Congrats for your creation! this really looks like model trains with nice details!

Awesome work! I love how realistic it is and full of wonderfull details :)

Awesome! I especially like the front of your E18. You reproduced the elegant form of the prototype very well!