Ts__

BR E18 047 "Blauer Enzian"

Hello everyone,

today I want to present the German electric locomotive E18 047 as complete train “Blauer Enzian” from 1954.

E18_047_mit_Zuggarnitur_Blauer_Enzian_2

The E18 047 was build 1939 by AEG/Berlin. After the WWII the “Deutsche Bahn” had using this locomotive for a special train between Munich and Hamburg. The train was called “Blauer Enzian” and operate between 1951 and 1965. The passenger cars were the old "Henschel-Wegmann-Train” coaches with a new colour scheme. The peculiarity of the “Blauer Enzian” was the pulpit at the begin and end of the train. In Bavaria uses the train the E18 machines, in other regions steam locomotives.

E18_047_Seitenansicht_2

My focus for the model:

real windows:

E18_047_mit_Zuggarnitur_Blauer_Enzian_1E18_047_Inneneinrichtung

detailed roof and foldable pantographs:

E18_047_Pantograph_2

E18_047_Pantograph_1

E18_047_Ansicht_von_oben

detailed chassis:

E18_047_Fahrwerk

E18_047_Fahrwerkdetail_von_unten

The locomotive can´t drive trough Lego R40 curves and switches. The E18 needs R104 curves/switches. I use material from TrixBrix / Poland.

E18_047_Front

E18 047:

1837 Lego parts, no use of gluing or cut parts
12 BigBenWheels: 4x S, 8x M with rubber for friction
2 PowerUP Hub
2 PowerUP train motor
controlled via PowerUP handheld channel A
Light: self-made, 2 circuit boards with 2x Duo-Led red/white, 1x Led white, controlled via PowerUP handheld channel B
Lettering: self-made stickers
building time: September 2019 - March 2020

Comparision between E18 047 and Lego 60198 locomotive:

E18_047_vs_60198

1. Luggage / dining coaches

Blauer_Enzian_Speisewagen

removable roof:

Blauer_Enzian_Speisewagen_Kueche_innen

detailed and visible kitchen:

Blauer_Enzian_Speisewagen_Kueche

1249 Lego parts, no use of gluing or cut parts
the 4 axles are equipped with ball bearings for better rolling ability, technique from Eurobricks / Legopold

Lettering: self-made stickers and some custom printed parts

2-4. 2nd class passenger coaches

Blauer_Enzian_Mittelwagen

removable roof and usable seats:

Blauer_Enzian_Kanzelwagen_Innenansicht

a detailed undercarriage, type "Görlitz III leicht" was also important to me:

Blauer_Enzian_Mittelwagen_Fahrwerk

Blauer_Enzian_Fahrwerk_von_unten

The three coaches are only different in lettering (and bricks in this area)

1182-1286 Lego parts, no use of gluing or cut parts
the 4 axles are equipped with ball bearings for better rolling ability, technique from Eurobricks / Legopold

5. Pulpit car

Blauer_Enzian_Kanzelwagen_Heckbereich

Blauer_Enzian_Kanzelwagen_Heckansicht

1173 Lego parts, no use of gluing or cut parts

Light: self-made, 2x Led white with red tile for taillight, battery box under the floor, no control: only on/off

Video:

I hope the train likes it and you have a grin like me when you watch it, thanks.

E18_047_mit_Zuggarnitur_Blauer_Enzian_4

Thomas

Edited by Ts__

This is EPIC. Wonderful model. I love the detail on the engine, but the coaches are the star(s) of the show for me. Absolutely awesome.

This is a beautifull train! If you ever decide to make (and share or sell) instructions, let us know. It looks amazing!

Your engine is spot on, the just coaches look so incredibly smart, and the whole train is jam-packed with detail. Perfect job all over!

This is unbelievably gorgeous - the dark blue color scheme, the half-stud inset of the doors in the dining/baggage coach, the staggering amount of detail - I could go on for days!  Exceedingly well done!

Great MOC, thanks for showing here @Ts__ ... the engine is just great and fits fine in front of the cars which I was able to spot at Bricking Bavaria in Fürth back in 2019. Hope to see you in summer in Schkeuditz!

On 4/5/2020 at 1:49 PM, Phil B said:

I love the detail on the engine, but the coaches are the star(s) of the show for me.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:25 PM, *thomas* said:

It looks amazing!

On 4/5/2020 at 4:26 PM, ColletArrow said:

Your engine is spot on, the just coaches look so incredibly smart,

On 4/5/2020 at 4:27 PM, weeble1688 said:

Exceedingly well done!

On 4/5/2020 at 5:16 PM, Duq said:

Love your pantographs.

On 4/5/2020 at 6:23 PM, brummer said:

Great Model !

22 hours ago, Asper said:

Wonderful! Great MOC!

20 hours ago, HRBuildNStuf said:

Really beautiful and really inspiring!

15 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

well detailed and proportioned! 

12 hours ago, Selander said:

Super !! Top notch

7 hours ago, Thai bricks said:

I love how you did the rounded front on the engine.

7 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

the E18 has always been one of my favourite locomotives...great great great train!

Many thanks...

On 4/5/2020 at 4:25 PM, *thomas* said:

If you ever decide to make (and share or sell) instructions,

Creating a manual is a lot of work. I suggest: build what you like, if there are problems with details: I am happy to help.

The locomotive is very complex to build, especially the front. If it is assembled, it will hold. But you like to swear during construction.

The cars are much simpler, there are only two more difficult places: start / end and the bogies.

On 4/5/2020 at 4:27 PM, weeble1688 said:

the half-stud inset of the doors in the dining/baggage coach

The offset is 1/4 stud for better look. This needs a "little" space inside...

19 hours ago, HoMa said:

Hope to see you in summer in Schkeuditz! 

Hello Holger,

thanks. And I hope also for Schkeuditz! I have a landscape module for the exhibition under construction and of course hope that everything will go as planned. I am also happy to see you and the other railroad friends again.

Thomas

This wonder had gone unnoticed on my radars: the round shapes of the muzzle are incredible and the pantograph design is completely original for me! :wub:

The roof of the pulpit wagon is lovely ...I like also the dark blue livery of this convoy. Great work! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

very brilliant train! how long is your each passenger cars? I am also making my passenger car in 50 stud long but found some difficulties on curve tracks

That is an amazing build, the curves coming together in so many different angles, all of the details, this is over the top!

6 hours ago, Camoran said:

how long is your each passenger cars?

Every coaches are (over all) 56 - 58 studs. The middle coaches a little bit shorter as the pulpit choaches.

The passenger cars can drive trough Lego R40 curves and switches. But longer is not possible for this design and Lego curves/switches. The rounded ends at the coaches helps ;-)

And the car crossings are also outside the Lego grid so that cornering is possible.

@all here

Thank you for your warm words, this is music for me...

Thomas

Great build, details, and custom decals! Did you have access to some historical photographs or the actual train in a museum to create the plaques, numbering, etc.? Love the dark blue colour too.

1 hour ago, lego9vtrainfan said:

Did you have access to some historical photographs or the actual train in a museum to create the plaques, numbering, etc

The E18 047 is an active museum locomotive in Germany and I have found many good pictures and videos in the internet. That helps a lot and was the reason for the number 047. Originally I wanted to visit the museum with the 047 and my model in March and take photos of both. Then Coronna came ... So the pictures with the real engine have to wait.

The next big help for me was Sven / @Tenderlok and his attention to details...

Thomas

This is a really nice train. Il love seeing full trains and yours is really well detailed and finished. That dark blue color scheme gives it a really nice touch. Great job!