Pdaitabird

[MOC] Topsail Sloop "Charlotte's Folly"

Charlotte's Folly

This little sloop is my second attempt at a sailing vessel. I decided to name her "Charlotte's Folly" because I cut the sails out of an old Charlotte 49ers t-shirt. Unlike my previous vessel, the sails can be furled and the tiller moves the rudder.

Charlotte's Folly

She still uses @kurigan's hull technique, which works well for achieving a gentle curve using basic plates and tiles. She's equipped with a couple of small swivel guns amidships.

Charlotte's Folly

Charlotte's Folly

Charlotte's Folly

Thanks for looking!

Soli Deo Gloria

The build itself is amazing. I sort of feel like the sails overpower the very slender hull... like if you were using a material closer to that of the Lego-brand sails, it might dramatically improve the thing overall.

@PdaitabirdI really like this handsome vessel.

Could you perhaps give me some advice where I can find an explanation of the building technique of the hull? Giving her a latin-rig would fit her for the Nile River and for my Adventurers' theme. Thanks!

@The Reader Thank you!  Here is a picture of the underside - it should give you a better idea of how the hull is constructed:

Hull Technique - Underside

The brown bricks are to fill in gaps when viewed from above.  It's surprisingly sturdy; I'm holding it by the mast in the picture.  A 3L bar holds the sides together at the bow.  For more information, I would refer you to @kurigan's topic here. He came up with the hull technique to begin with.

@Pdaitabird Thanks again for the credit, little on this world makes me happier. Another great build here, neat and clean. You could easily go two studs wider, but I understand that it gets quite springy and hard to work with. Nice job on a working rig and clever use of a blue tarp :pir-wink:

@Stoertebricker well, they're nothing new, I've been around a while. Beyond Bumblebee, there, just Google search my username with "eurobricks" and most of my key contributions come right up. I suggest to all new(er) members to look back into the history of this forum, not just my work. We've had some great builders come and go, from which there is much to learn. If you find a builder that intrigues you, follow those same instructions.