Sven J

[MOC] Ferrovia Eritrea Gruppo R.202 0-4-0T in 1/22.5 - now with track video

Would it be possible to make the radius bar move? If you let your valve stem move and you connect it below the hinge point of of the expansion link? Moving that connection along the expansion link with the lifting link is as you say impossible with the available parts...

What did you use for the angle of the eccentric crank? Two 8T gears behind the wheel?

Just now, Duq said:

Would it be possible to make the radius bar move? If you let your valve stem move and you connect it below the hinge point of of the expansion link?

Basically, yes. I had considered that design for previous models, but dismissed it: It would be prototypically correct for running in one direction only (backwards in case of the R.202). So I prefer the "neutral" position which is equally incorrect for both running directions...

Just now, Duq said:

What did you use for the angle of the eccentric crank? Two 8T gears behind the wheel?

No... just some tiny strips of double-sided adhesive tape in the wheel's pinhole. :grin:
I know the gear wheel trick, but it's more important for me to have a realistic engine frame than to avoid non-purist solutions. With the gears, they would limit the frame's width to 3 studs.

7 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

The feautures that I, personally, am most proud of are the snotted front boiler mounting/steam ducts and the Walschaerts valve gear, which is complete despite the limited space. This proves that it’s possible to have a prototypical valve gear in an 11-w model… maybe a hint for future 1/33 standard gauge locomotive MOCs… ;-)

I agree the Walschaerts valve gear is absolutely stunning, but it is so under the eyes that are the other details that I like to browse. :wink:

Back to piston rods what kind of red paint do you use in the inner part of the rods ...you red is very persistent and homogeneous compared to what I use.

3 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

what kind of red paint do you use in the inner part of the rods

It's no paint at all... I use 2mm self-adhesive lining tape for that purpose. It's much easier to apply than paint.

Edited by Tenderlok

@LEGO Train 12 Volts I used this tape for the first time on my Bulgarian loco some 2.5 years ago, and it still sticks well.
And in case that it should come off, it would be very easy to replace.

On 4/8/2020 at 1:22 AM, Tenderlok said:

Thank you!

I'm sorry that I have to disagree, Sir...  :wink: It's not easy to see, but it's there:

600x300.jpg

It's connected to the centre of the expansion link. Not movable, of course, but that's common practice for locomotive models.
A functional lifting link is almost impossible to build, I think. But at least the portion above the running board is there, too... 

Really awesome, but I wonder: if you printed 3d some bars, why not try to build also a functional "expansion link"? I tried with my Br96, and it is semi-functional, since it isn't pivoted in the middle (because I used two 30377 arms), but the radius bar is moving and connected with the valve stem.

I agree that a lifting link is really a challenging task, also with a massive 3d printing  work, and it would be really difficult to operate.

Gruss und Fröhliches Ostern

Sergio

1 hour ago, monai said:

but I wonder: if you printed 3d some bars, why not try to build also a functional "expansion link"?

Hi Sergio,

I tried it with one of my previous models (don't remember exactly which one - i think it was the "Flensburger" 0-8-0T, but it might also have been the Bulgarian). Back then I connected the radius bar to the pinhole right below the centre of the expansion link. But this solution didn't satisfy me for two reasons:

• The mechanism resulted in a rather long valve travel, with the risk of the valve stem falling out of its bearing. While that could have been fixed by using different parts or a modified geometry, the second issue couldn't:
  • That layout, without a functional lifting link, would be prototypically correct for running in one direction only. This might be ok for a tender locomotive running mainly forward. However, for my tank engines, which were designed to run equally well in both directions, I found it inappropriate.

So I returned to the radius bar attached to the centre, representing the valve gear's "neutral" position.
On of the next locomotives on my list (Arrrghh! So many locos left, yet I'm already running out of shelf space...) has a Kuhn slide in its valve gear... that might be easier to get working than a lifting link... :devil_laugh:

Happy Easter to you and all other readers, too!

Sven

14 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

That layout, without a functional lifting link, would be prototypically correct for running in one direction only. This might be ok for a tender locomotive running mainly forward. However, for my tank engines, which were designed to run equally well in both directions, I found it inappropriate.

Ok but also being in a neutral position is not prototypically correct, you could put the radius bar "by hands" in the right position before reversing the direction, after all it was the real procedure..

Wow a Kuhnsche Schleife:wub_drool:! is it the Br65?

Sergio

9 hours ago, monai said:

you could put the radius bar "by hands" in the right position before reversing the direction,

In fact, that's something that I had already been considering. I fear it would be a rather cumbersome procedure, though.

9 hours ago, monai said:

Wow a Kuhnsche Schleife:wub_drool:! is it the Br65?

That would be a nice model, too, I have to admit.

However, there are other locomotives on my list... and actually two of them have the Kuhn slide:

First, continuing my series of standard gauge industrial locomotives, there's the Krupp "Bergbau" type, Germany's most powerful 8-coupled tank locomotive (surpassing even the 2-10-0 BR50 in terms of pulling power). Guess who is such a fan of this engine that he wrote a Wikipedia article about it...

59592.jpg

Bauart%201952_Zeichnung%20und%20Datenbla

Second, another narrow gauge engine class from one of my favourite holiday areas: Locomotives no. 12 + 13 of the "Kleinbahn Leer-Aurich-Wittmund".
With regard to these locomotives, I am still doing research as to whether they were painted black or dark green. I was able to find relatives of former employees of the railway, but even they can't remember (the locos were scrapped in the 1950s, and no colour photos seem to exist)...

58115.jpg

Edited by Tenderlok

I'm having a hard time finding more information about the Kuhnsche Schleife. Is there a site you could point me to?

@Duq It actually seems as if the "Kuhnsche Schleife" was kind of a German specialty - but round here, it was quite popular, mostly for tank engines (see below).
Wikipedia has a basic description. Perhaps this illustration, though with German technical terms, will also help to explain the function:

2009120338_0027.jpg

The Kuhn slide was used on most DRG standard tank locomotives like the BR62, 64, 80, 81, 84, 86, and even some DRG tender engines had it (most notably the famous world-record BR05, where the large driving wheels left no space for a lifting link, but also the prototypes for the BR41 and 45). After WWII all DB "Neubaulokomotiven" were equipped with the Kuhn slide, too.

Edited by Tenderlok

Thank you! I had found the Wikipedia page but the description isn't great and for some reason their illustration is of Walschaerts Classic, with a lifting link.

This illustration makes it much clearer. I've no problem reading German by the way, just don't ask me to speak it. I even struggle with Dutch sometimes these days...

It'll be interesting to see how you're going to model that in Lego.

Oh, I didn't know that you're of Dutch origin.

1 hour ago, Duq said:

It'll be interesting to see how you're going to model that in Lego.

I can't guarantee that I will succeed... I just said it MIGHT be easier to build a Kuhn slide than a functional lifting link... :grin: 

Well, in fact I have a little idea how it might work, but please give me time to think about it and try it out. Especially as there are also several locomotives on my list that don't have a Kuhn slide - and I really don't know yet which of all those I will build next.

Edited by Tenderlok

The tank engines you cited are really nice, the Krupp one looks as the  typical prussian silouette, it remember me the BR95 or the TkZ sand lokos, but it is a standar gauge so you have less room for details.. the Kleinbahn Leer-Aurich-Wittmund is very cute and it has something of this last Eritrean one.

What about the Harz BR99  7242-3? it has the "Kuhnsche Schleife" too isn't it?

Gruss

Sergio

Hi all!

Finally, the video of my little 0-4-0T is ready.
For the video, I turned the smoke generator off – due to the necessary manual coupling/decoupling during the shunting procedure and the camera repositioning, the whole filming procedure took about an hour, in which time the smoke generator would have filled the room with quite an amount of smoke…
It’s really amazing how much this tiny shunter can pull:

Thanks for your interest!

Sven

Wow that thing has some power.  Have you thought about making any Lego rolling stock, but that wouldn't matter as your trains look like true LGB models. 

wow wonderful movements, the music remember me an old german song, it is the same as in this video (you should already know it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScetzlOtibA

very nice indeed, for the rolling stock have you considered the marklin LEGO base?

Gruss

Sergio

Thank you for your appreciation!

On 7/17/2020 at 2:13 PM, Coal Fired Bricks said:

Have you thought about making any Lego rolling stock,

On 7/17/2020 at 2:33 PM, SteamSewnEmpire said:

I agree with @Coal Fired Bricks that you should consider doing Lego rolling stock.

On 7/17/2020 at 4:48 PM, monai said:

for the rolling stock have you considered the marklin LEGO base? 

One problem is that large scale wagons with an adequate amount of detail and realistic interior get very heavy (and also, due to the high parts count, expensive). Besides, I simply don’t have enough storage space for a complete set of LEGO rolling stock, as it would be an addition to the LGB cars, not a replacement…

On 7/17/2020 at 4:48 PM, monai said:

the music remember me an old german song, it is the same as in this video

The music is actually the main theme from the "Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver“ TV adaptation made by the "Augsburger Puppenkiste“ marionette theatre in the 1970s. As it deals with the adventures of a little four-wheeled steam locomotive’s crew (the engine being called "Emma“), I found the music quite appropriate.

Edited by Tenderlok

3 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

The music is actually the main theme from the „Jim Button and Luke the Engine Driver“ TV adaptation made by the „Augsburger Puppenkiste“ marionette theatre in the 1970s.

Ah Michael Ende! in italian it was "Jim Bottone", I didn't know the Augsburger Puppenkiste, very nice..

Sergio

On 7/17/2020 at 11:19 AM, Tenderlok said:

Finally, the video of my little 0-4-0T is ready.

This is so good! Wonderful - thank you for sharing!