Stoertebricker

[LEGO IDEAS] Motorized pirate ship: The "Rolling" Dutchman - New 1k+ Update!

Ahoy, seamates!

I have started my LEGO-Ideas Project 2-3 months ago and now I want to present it to the specific lego pirates community! Would be nice to get your suppport but even more I am looking for some advice what I can improve on it.

SUPPORT NOW

Please take a look on the ideas website or at my flickr https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMnLn6a for more fotos!

49945804263_d214d958d8_c.jpg

49946307926_dca8c6f857_c.jpg

1 new_.jpg

image.png

Here is the text from ideas:

Welcome on board of The Rolling Dutchman!
Since I have been a child I always wanted to control my LEGO Red Beard Runner without pushing it around and now my dream has come true. I have build a motorized Version of the famous Flying Dutchman which is my favorite pirate ship, too. I have seen the original swedish Vasa which has given the idea for the Dutchman with its marvelous bow and stern. So I managed to combine them with my own creative ideas into this "rolling" Dutchman!

Please have a look at the features in the video and the pictures!

Video:

Update 2:
Thanks for your 1k supports so far!
I have worked on the main picture a bit and now added a picture of the crew and one showing the functions as well.
Update 1:
         New rotten Sails! (Picture 7+8+Video still with the first sails)

Motorized Features:
  • Rolling movement caused by waves (1. M-Motor)
  • Two motorized triple-barrelled chasers in the bow (1. M-Motor)
  • Motorized steering with simoultaneously rotating ship´s wheel, rudder and steering mechanism (S-Motor)
  • Motorized movement for- and backward (L-Motor)
  • Motorized sail trim with turning capstan and changing sail position of all square sails (M-Motor)
  • All features can be controlled by rc-control via 4 channels and two receivers
  • All features use the Power-Function System but could easily be adapted to the new Control+ System which can lead to advanced handling of the functions
  • The battery box can slide out easily to switch on/off and change batteries

General Features:
  • Minifigures: Davy Jones, Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth, Bill Turner, Barbossa and more. (I am not familiar with the movies in english so I would like to ask you to tell me the names in the comments section!)
  • Two decks with cannons (one side the lower deck is closed to store the motors)
  • The two tripple-barreld chasers can manually slide backwards and then the gun ports can be closed
  • Removable deck at the stern to take out the steering wheel
  • Removable lower balcony´s on both sides
  • Handmade sails
  • Two functional anchors
  • Upper cabin minifigure size with Jack stealing the heart (illuminated)
  • Lower cabin with Davy Jones organ (illuminated)
  • Two torches at the stern (illuminated)
  • The capstan can be removed
  • The ship is based on the sturdy hull parts, the complete 2 lower rows of bricks can be removed with the steering and driving wheels to use it as "normal" push forward ship or display model
  • The main mast and the mizzen are both slightly tilted backwards
  • Correct rigging and sails due to the movies
  • The ropes between the masts can be removed easily to take them apart for transport

It would be an honor to receive your support. Aye!

I have to thank my friend J-H to help me with some motorization problems and a special thanks to my girlfriend for not freaking out!

Thanks, yours Störtebricker from Hamburg, Germany

SUPPORT NOW

25 minutes ago, Mister Phes said:

Thank you for sharing, @Stoertebricker!  I've upgraded your first post with a Support Now button.

Thanks a lot, @Mister Phes!

I have seen that in some other topics but could not figure it out untill now! ;)

I am also working on some minor improvements/changes which I can share here soon!

1 minute ago, Stoertebricker said:

I have seen that in some other topics but could not figure it out untill now! ;)

Currently I'm the only one who can apply those buttons but maybe in the future we'll find a way to allow the general user base to insert them.

2 minutes ago, Stoertebricker said:

I am also working on some minor improvements/changes which I can share here soon!

Yes, please keep us up-to-date - the LEGO Idea submissions in which the builder remains engaged are often the ones who get the most support.

My first suggestion would be get some decent shots of the minifigures.  Minifigs are a huge selling point so you should have a crew shot at the very least.

On 4/4/2020 at 3:00 PM, blackdeathgr said:

Motorising your ship is an excellent idea! Supported!

Hey @blackdeathgr, thanks!

I have made a small new video showing how the functions work, you can take a look here:

Is there a section somewhere in the forums where they have some tips on video and photography? Ships are quite big and so it is difficult to catch them in the right light...

On 4/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, Mister Phes said:

My first suggestion would be get some decent shots of the minifigures.  Minifigs are a huge selling point so you should have a crew shot at the very least.

Thank you @Mister Phes! I have now a picture of the crew:

49781536347_8b2503fc27_z.jpgFlying Dutchman Crew by Captain Störtebricker, auf Flickr

I am thinking of adding Pintel and Ragetti but I nearly only have figures with yellow hea...  Please let me know some suggestions which would you like to see or who is missing in the POTC-LEGO-Universe and who should I include!

I have also build an alternative for the lights in not damaged state:

49781537692_e2629f2119_z.jpgDifferent light design by Captain Störtebricker, auf Flickr

What is better damaged or non damaged Version?

This one is really cool, motorized Lego pirateship. Have never thought about something like that.:pir-laugh:

The ship and how everything works is just awesome also. Great job and keep up the good work and creations like this.

Supported it.

Hi all,

thanks to everyone who supported my idea, my goal of 1k is reached! :pir-huzzah2:

some time has passed but I managed to try out some "photoshop" work on my photos, so I hope you like them (I changed the main pics in the first post).

As well I created a pic which shows the motorized functions:

49946597692_7040731486_z.jpg

Is it possible to understand that picture?!

Please tell me what I can do better for the edited pictures, its my first try...

There are some more new pics at my Flickr, too.

At last I would like to share that I will participate at Skaerbaek Fan Weekend for the first time (I hope this MOC will be accepted as well), so I hope to see some of you around there! :pir-grin:

One new question for you: I am thinking of building a motorized Black Pearl as well to accompany the Dutchman! So they can chase each other.. Should I give it a try?

Kinda cool, but outrageously complex and expensive for Ideas imo.

Honestly I'd scale it back to the rocking motion only. 

I've posted it via the Classic Pirates Facebook Group - see if that's gets yer any additional support.

On 6/5/2020 at 4:15 AM, Merlict said:

Kinda cool, but outrageously complex and expensive for Ideas imo.

Honestly I'd scale it back to the rocking motion only. 

As I take a look at the last winners I think the ledo ideas team will do this job either. I wanted to show the full potential, for sure it could be reduced or just being prepared to put in more motors on your own.

On 6/5/2020 at 1:27 PM, Mister Phes said:

I've posted it via the Classic Pirates Facebook Group - see if that's gets yer any additional support.

Thanks again here for all your support and your suggestions for my project and a special thanks to the moderators like @Mister Phes to keep all this crazy pirate crew in this forum under order :thumbup:!

Unfortunately I have to announce that today I got an email from the official lego ideas team that my idea has been archived, so it can not be supported or commented any more. :pir-bawling: The reason is, of course, that now they already have a set in stores - the Pirates of Barracuda Bay! :pir-murder: (Which is a fantastic set, for sure!)

I am interested if someone else here had the same experience?

Dont get me wrong but I am really disappointed, for sure it is good that they tell you early that they will never release your set or even review it but for me that leaves more questions open:

• For me ideas is not only about becoming your idea a real set but as well that you can collect support for it and reach that crazy 10k-Member status (even if my minimum goal was only 1k) which gives you firstly a nice feeling and at last I think even if its not approved you get a price of buying 3 lego sets for free.
  • Thurthermore I am a bit sad about all the ideas which are in review now (like Caribbean Clipper by Baby Teeth) or those who had collected a lot votes like the fortress by @Piraten.
  • My main problem is that I seriosly can not figure out the border which sets could get reviewed from now on and which can not because they are "close" to the barracudabay... I mean ok, there is the word pirate in the name of my idea but it consists of so many more, the motorization or even the ip POTC and so my point of view is that my ship is so far different from the bay that from my point of view all big old styled ships have to be withdrawn by lego ideas from now. And because the bay is as well a bay or harbour or something (at least the submission was) I am not even sure for the fortresses and harbours. I feel very bad for all the great ideas out there we are currently collecting here:I hope that will not be true!!!
  • Some weeks ago I have seen a video on that topic:
  • I think its really weird for everyone who wants to submit an idea that you dont know if it will be accepet at the end (or right after the submission because I think the most will first build it and then try to submit it afterwards).
  • Another point is that my idea had at minimum 1 year to go or even more when reaching 5k, so if it would be in review some day the bay could be close to EOL already.

Please let me know what you think on this topic or what you have experienced, probably at least I will feel a bit better because we are not alone :jollyroger:

So for me there is only one silver lining at the horizon of this storm which is "They have already a Flying Dutchman in their product pipeline" because POTC Movie No 6 will come to theaters some day as well!

- But it has already disappeared, so where is the rum? Yoho...

@Stoertebricker

Sad news to read. Something with POTC is coming i guess.. Make sense why Caswell was turned down then...(Potc soldiers.)

At this point i'm not worried. I think if I hit the 10K it have a fair chanceIt would be great for Lego to make an Imperial set to match the Pirates. And the Piratestheme with the Castle and space are still some of the most popular themes so it will make sense.

Just now, Piraten said:

@Stoertebricker

Sad news to read. Something with POTC is coming i guess.. Make sense why Caswell was turned down then...(Potc soldiers.)

At this point i'm not worried. I think if I hit the 10K it have a fair chanceIt would be great for Lego to make an Imperial set to match the Pirates. And the Piratestheme with the Castle and space are still some of the most popular themes so it will make sense.

Thats good to hear that you have no email! I was really worried about all the ideas around the general theme of pirates, ships and so one, lets hope its just POTC!

Probably I can build a different ship around the functions in the future!

Just now, Stoertebricker said:

Thats good to hear that you have no email! I was really worried about all the ideas around the general theme of pirates, ships and so one, lets hope its just POTC!

Probably I can build a different ship around the functions in the future!

I was reading your post before i checked my mail and logged on to Lego Ideas... I was nervous...

2 minutes ago, Piraten said:

I was reading your post before i checked my mail and logged on to Lego Ideas... I was nervous...

Yes I can understand that, the reason" because of the baracuda bay" is, as I already mentioned, very unspecific and can apllied to nearly everything around in this subforum :/

Then I have to hope that Skaerbaeck will not be cancelled as well so I can take a look at your layout and the ideas set there!

Just now, Stoertebricker said:

Yes I can understand that, the reason" because of the baracuda bay" is, as I already mentioned, very unspecific and can apllied to nearly everything around in this subforum :/

Then I have to hope that Skaerbaeck will not be cancelled as well so I can take a look at your layout and the ideas set there!

Skærbæk is not cancelled. But there is many restrictions. Layout size is limited. So waiting to se what happens. 

15 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:
  • Some weeks ago I have seen a video on that topic:
  • I think its really weird for everyone who wants to submit an idea that you dont know if it will be accepet at the end (or right after the submission because I think the most will first build it and then try to submit it afterwards).
  • Another point is that my idea had at minimum 1 year to go or even more when reaching 5k, so if it would be in review some day the bay could be close to EOL already.

Check Part 1 too:

4 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:

Wow, thanks! Nice article! As this has popped up I can tease an other motorized ship here which I will publish soon, I think you can guess, savvy?

I can't wait to see a motorised Dying Gull!

I'm sure your next ship will be just as impressive if not more compared to the Dutchman, so I can't wait! ^^

5 hours ago, Stoertebricker said:

As this has popped up I can tease an other motorized ship here which I will publish soon

I can't wait to see it!

Edited by JintaiZ