Sign in to follow this  
Miro78

Recolored Barracuda Ship (21322 version) Digital File available

I am really liking the new version of the Barracuda ship from the Lego Ideas set 21322 Pirates of Barracuda Bay. The angling of the hull on the sides and the back, make it look that much closer to a real looking ship shape. The colors still bother me with the yellow, red and white accents. They distract the beauty of the shape. So I had no choice but to build it. I don't have the set yet, so I did so digitally.

Update: I have made 2 versions digitally and you can download them (LDD and Stud.io versions) via my webpage: https://humblebricks.com/other/ 

First one below is with pearl gold accents, brickbuilt sails and flag and dino-tail part in lieu of the soft axle. That tail part (part 40379) is also available in a broader color range.

The second version, is a no-frills version working ship. I added extra sails, a stern mast (attached to the ship and not the deck). This version is in a color range that should be able to be built in real brick. I have not verified all parts.

Alternate Barracuda Ship Build (21322)

49733470146_5efff9713f_c.jpg49734763563_08140855fc_c.jpg49735306631_06fa7c04a5_c.jpg49734763593_80faf97477_c.jpg

Edited by Miro78

6 hours ago, Elusys Ra Arwal said:

I like the colors and the brick sails, also the small detail on the window, that was very inventive!

Thanks

4 hours ago, Rockyjw2004 said:

Your design is awesome.  Just wondering is all of your pieces buyable

at bricklink?

I wish. Pearl gold is still a very limited color unfortunately, and so it won't be doable to use all of the pearl gold shapes, like the curved slopes, regular slopes, curved tiles and many o the bricks/plates needed. The dark brown should be doable. I have the boat hull pieces in that color anyway, and there are just a few other dark brown parts that would be needed. That is why I made the digital files available and people can play around changing them out as they wish, and with enough mods, a nice color combination can be made.

update: I made a working class version with no fancy colors or any pearl gold. It appears like it should be doable to build in real brick. The files are available via the same link on my website. Note, the 3rd mast at the Stern is not properly anchored to the ship, so some more MODing will be needed to secure it.

No frills Barracuda (21322 mod)

Edited by Miro78

I like the tan 'toppings' version better, but at my end I'd have to make do with the reddish brown hull parts. Nice sails there. I wonder which part you used for connecting them to the ra's?
Oh, and that flag is tremendous!

This is an interesting concept!  Although this topic would perhaps be better suited to the Pirate MOC Forum - so I'll move it there soon.

@Miro78, for the benefit of those who don't use CAD software, do you have anymore rendered images to share?

10 hours ago, GeoBrick said:

I like the tan 'toppings' version better, but at my end I'd have to make do with the reddish brown hull parts. Nice sails there. I wonder which part you used for connecting them to the ra's?
Oh, and that flag is tremendous!

Thanks. Reddish brown hull will work just as well. The sails are attached via part ID 85943, which does not exist in tan, as what I used digitally. It's only available in dark bluish gray and red, however another part can be used, like part 6535 with technic pin with stud (part 4274). The part 6536 is available in white. There are other options one can use, like the part 18677, which comes in white. Lastly, I have not tested all of the weight of the sails and how that would impact the rigidity of the mast. The brickbuilt sails are heavier than the cloth ones. I will try to build a version in real brick soon.

5 hours ago, Mister Phes said:

This is an interesting concept!  Although this topic would perhaps be better suited to the Pirate MOC Forum - so I'll move it there soon.

@Miro78, for the benefit of those who don't use CAD software, do you have anymore rendered images to share?

Sorry for posting it in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it over to the Pirate MOC Forum. I have added additional renders to the main post in this thread.

Beautiful ship! Love the brickbuild sails and flag. I was wondering, whether the flag stay in that position in real life...

Have you modyfied the internal space too?

Beautiful indeed! How much would it cost to mod the ship this way? :)

On 4/5/2020 at 12:26 AM, ClassicLook said:

Beautiful ship! Love the brickbuild sails and flag. I was wondering, whether the flag stay in that position in real life...

Have you modyfied the internal space too?

Thank you. I have not tried that particular flag, but I did with the one shown below. I have brickbuilt the Barracuda and added my stylistic changes. I have not done in the interior on it. I did play around with cannon placement, but I have not put them in. I wanted to see how it would turn out first. The way the set is designed, it's really hard to access the interior anyhow. The captain's quarters are easily accessible by lifting up the deck above it. I have not furnished it yet. I did make the support strong enough for a third mast at the stern portion of the ship, but after building the ship, I did not find it necessary to put it in just yet. The cords were added for stylistic and support purposes. The masts will stay up, but may easily fall over it the ship is carried around. I am still waiting on some parts that I ordered on Brickbuilt, mainly the ones substituted in gray in the photo below. I will post more pictures after I get the rest of the parts.

On 4/6/2020 at 4:00 AM, Merlo said:

Beautiful indeed! How much would it cost to mod the ship this way? :)

It depends on what you have already on hand. I have not run the numbers though. Below is what I built with what I already have on hand. I did place a $20 order on Bricklink to make certain substitutions that I did not have in proper color. I still have to place a color matching minfigure for the figurehead. 

49750273092_59dd0e81f3_c.jpg

Edited by Miro78

19 minutes ago, Miro78 said:

color matchin

I do hope those are DUTCH colors my friend :grin:

Very good idea, my POBB set is not even delivered and someone already made an upgrade haha

2 hours ago, Fraunces said:

I do hope those are DUTCH colors my friend :grin:

Very good idea, my POBB set is not even delivered and someone already made an upgrade haha

Yes, very much a Dutch flag. It was supposed to be a trading ship, but it looks too prominent for such a purpose, plus I have a ton of these soldier figures from the Pirate chess set. I believe I bought 3 of them when they were on sale.

I love the end result! It has a much more realistic look wit this colour scheme. Nice job!

Edited by ClassicLook